NI-AL-Bronze and 464 Naval Brass HDS going on sale...

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, what might HDS lights made of these new materials weigh?...(Random Dan, I took a different approach using ratios, densities, and the known weight of a HDS clicky aluminum light and HDS Rotary Ti light. Hopefully, Modernflame does not blow a head gasket :))

Disclaimer - these numbers may or may not be accurate. It is my best guess based on available information. Use at your own risk.

Aluminum: 0.0975 lbs/in^3 [1]
464 Naval Brass ("Tobin Bronze"): 0.304 lbs/in^3 [1]
Aluminum Bronze (w/Nickel): 0.276 lbs/in^3 [2]

[1] http://www.sequoia-brass-copper.com/wformula.html
[2] http://www.chemistrylearner.com/aluminum-bronze.html

Plus: Ti-6AL-4V titanium density is 0.160 lbs/in3

[3] https://www.upmet.com/products/titanium/ti-6al-4v

Weight of Aluminum HDS clicky light is: 102 grams
Weight of Titanium HDS light is: 122 grams

Let's crunch some numbers. Ready, go:

a. figure out the weight of aluminum in the HDS clicky light: Answer is 31.2 grams.

Formula = Density of Aluminum/Density of Titanium equals Amount of Aluminum in HDS light/Amount of Aluminum in HDS light plus 20 grams.

(The 20 grams is the incremental weight of the Ti HDS light compared to the Aluminum HDS light, or 122 grams minus 102 grams)

.0975/.160=A/A+20 or .16A=.0975A+1.95 grams or a=31.2 grams

b. figure out the weight of the Titanium in the HDS light: Answer is 51.2 grams which is 31.2 grams plus 20 grams.

c. figure out the weight of 464 Navel Brass in a HDS light: Answer is 97.28 grams

Formula = Density of Aluminum/Density of 464 Navel Brass equals Weight of Aluminum in HDS light/Weight of 464 Navel brass in an HDS light.

.0975/.304=31.2/B or .0975B=9.4848 or B=97.28 grams

d. figure out the weight of Aluminum Bronze in a HDS light: Answer is 88.32 grams

Formula = Density of Aluminum/Density of Aluminum Bronze equals Weight of Aluminum in HDS light/Weight of Aluminum Bronze in HDS light.

.0975/.276=31.2/AB or .0975AB=8.6112 or AB=88.32 grams

e. figure out the weight of a HDS light without the aluminum. Answer is 70.8 grams which is the weight of the light 102 grams minus the weight of the Aluminum in the light 31.2 grams.

Okay, so...the approximate weights of the lights are:

Aluminum: 102 grams
Titanium: 122 grams
Navel Brass: 168 grams (which is a HDS clicky without Aluminum 70.8 grams plus the weight of Navel Brass 97.28 grams)
Aluminum Bronze: 159.12 grams (which is a HDS clicky without Aluminum 70.8 grams plus the weight of Aluminum Bronze 88.32 grams).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al HDS clicky - 102g
Naval Brass...66.0g
Al bronze:...56.4g
Thanks for the advanced math class
beautiful numbers!:)

so, compared to Al
Ti is only 20% heavier (about the weight of 4 USANickel coins)
AlBronze is only 55% heavier, and (about the weight of 11 USANickel coins)
Brass is just 65% heavier (about the weight of 13 USANickel coins)

the difference in weight between the NBrass andABronze is just 10 cents, 2 nickels!

so, has anyone received their sw45 9080 yet? What are some of your first impressions?

I just received a 219b 4500k 9080 from Bali this morning.
29102006747_0db4ced86e_b.jpg

Last edited:

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to stick to my original answer of "heavier".

Let me just throw a little curve into all this.... the bezel is stainless steel on the aluminum light, but is the corresponding material on titanium, bronze, and brass.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am going to stick to my original answer of "heavier".

Let me just throw a little curve into all this.... the bezel is stainless steel on the aluminum light, but is the corresponding material on titanium, bronze, and brass.

Not a problem. Just subtract out the weight of the SS bezel from the aluminum light, calculate bezel weight separately for each material, rerun the numbers in the formulas, and add back in the respective bezel weights. That aside, i have a reasonable approximation of weights to make a purchase decision!

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait...I mean, weight. I mean hold on a second. What decision have you made and why?

Edit: I ask because I'm on the fence on this one.

Last edited:

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo
What do you think of creating two new "countdowns" for each light?

Btw. when is the next bronze + brass run planned. I am on vacation (as always) and on the ship I will have internet only with high latency if I have internet... :(

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Lol I'm just going to post in the WTB section and wait. With that low of quantity being made no way will I get in on time. What I really want is Nat HAII.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
@Hogo
What do you think of creating two new "countdowns" for each light?

Btw. when is the next bronze + brass run planned. I am on vacation (as always) and on the ship I will have internet only with high latency if I have internet... :(

Not planning any second run of these, so most likely, this is it.

Hogokansatsukan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hogo, I imagine that you and Henry will end up with one of each, but if you could only choose one, which would it be and why?

Only choose one? And you call yourself a flashaholic! That's very unCPF of you! LOL!
It's a tough question but I guess 464 Naval Brass. I always wanted one in brass.
The light won't be an every day user, and will pretty much just see house duty. The titanium though... that is going to be a user for me.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's the weight that makes the bronze appealing to me, but the rotary UI gives me pause. I know, I know. That runs counter to the conventional wisdom. I'm glad I still have time to think it over.

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait...I mean, weight. I mean hold on a second. What decision have you made and why?

Edit: I ask because I'm on the fence on this one.

I have made several decisions. 1. The price is right, 2. The weight is right, 3. The resale will be good.

Only speed bump I have to travel over now is do I want a Rotary. I sold my last Rotary this week - it was a brand spanking new 219b high CRI. That was hard to let go. Now I have all Executives that I custom program so that I can get to my desired light level very fast.

INFRNL

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't like the rotary, just pass on these...
Also if you didn't post you wanted one in the interest thread, keep walking....:poke:
This might allow me a slightly better chance :p but i have a feeling i will miss out

Then there is the question of what emitter to shoot for

RCS1300

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't like the rotary, just pass on these...
Also if you didn't post you wanted one in the interest thread, keep walking....:poke:
This might allow me a slightly better chance :p but i have a feeling i will miss out

Then there is the question of what emitter to shoot for

Rest easy. I have time to decide what I want and I have a very fast computer connection. :laughing:

Maybe it is time for me to get two Rotaries with different limited run LED emitters. It will probably depend on what High CRI emitters are being offered. Thinking 219b, 4,000K; R9080 and 219b, 4,500K, R9080.