Nitecore EA4 Problems, fit and finish, flaws (take your poll here:)

What problem or issue with your EA4?

• Fit and finish

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • Rattle

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • Tint

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other - please explain

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
I have no problem with how it operates; I learned that ahead of time. But ever since getting my EA4W I have been watching the cheesy and poorly fitted rubber cover over the button. Recently, that cover came apart and "rubbed off" against my excellent new holster from Thor's Hammer Custom Leather. Fortunately, I did not lose the little black nail shaped piece of plastic from the button. Right now I have a piece of scotch tape over the button and it works better. NiteCore could have done MUCH better with that button cover. That's my Fit & Finish complaint.

Slazmo

Enlightened
But ever since getting my EA4W I have been watching the cheesy and poorly fitted rubber cover over the button. Recently, that cover came apart and "rubbed off" against my excellent new holster from Thor's Hammer Custom Leather.

So the new holster works but ruined the torch - its a love and hate world aint it... I put my EA4 into its OEM holster with the button facing the side - when it reaches the bottom I twist it 90 degrees and have it facing towards the rear of the holster, so far so good...

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Love the new holster. I have been expecting that switch cover to go bad before long. It never did fit terribly well, certainly was not flush with the surface of the light. Just happened to be the rub against the new holster that did it. Actually, the scotch tape works better. Maybe NiteCore should be taking notes.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
EA4switchScotchTape-1.jpg
src="http://i1051.photobucket.com/albums/s425/HamiltonFelix/EA4switchScotchTape-1.jpg" border="0" alt=" photo EA4switchScotchTape-1.jpg"/></a>[/IMG]
EA4switchScotchTapeLit.jpg

Don't know if I did that right. Took me a few tries. Should be two images, one with the blue switch lit. In any case, it's simple 3/4" Scotch Tape across the button, but around less than half the circumference of the light. There's enough flexibility in Scotch Tape to let me press the button. It's transparent. It is thin and does not snag on the holster. It is cheap to replace if necessary.

Last edited:

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
Can you show us a pic of what you did with the scotch tape?

Im in the minority but still wondering if everyone having issues is running alkalines or a cheap charger that isn't a smart charger and or bad discount bunch of batteries. Both my EA's can run very very hot without issue.

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
Running black Eneloops but have used Hähnels as well with no issue so far on my switch cover.

I use i4 charger or IQ-328.

Divine_Madcat

Newly Enlightened
Im in the minority but still wondering if everyone having issues is running alkalines or a cheap charger that isn't a smart charger and or bad discount bunch of batteries. Both my EA's can run very very hot without issue.

Using Eneloop XX, nitecore i4 charger.
It did not happen while running btw. This happened sitting in my camper.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone with a recent EA4 purchase had switch problems? If not, perhaps Nitecore changed the switch material? I've had mine since April with no issues (fingers-crossed)...

jak

Enlightened
I have a ring of light outside of the spill on my EA4w. I find this more annoying than any bezel gap, rattling switch, pink tint, etc.
Anyone know how to fix that? (Or does anyone else have this problem?)

Showmethelight

Newly Enlightened
I have a ring of light outside of the spill on my EA4w. I find this more annoying than any bezel gap, rattling switch, pink tint, etc.
Anyone know how to fix that? (Or does anyone else have this problem?)

Sounds perhaps like your washer between glass and reflector could be miss aligned, but I'd think you'd notice an odd non totally circular beam pattern then also. Doesn't really make sense otherwise given how smooth the reflector is.
as goes the other issues, you'd be the first to report a pink tint or rattling in the switch.

Last edited:

Cereal_Killer

Enlightened
My ea4 is having a fatal problem. If it suffers just a small bump (about the force of a hand clap) it will shut down instantly and not come back on till I break electrical contact. Even the indicator light/locator beacon doesn't work.