Nitecore Gold Dragon plus?

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ohhhh, I don't have an Osram light yet. This could be all the excuse I need to order a D10.
:ohgeez:
:broke:
:popcorn:

Bronco

Enlightened
Is it high CRI?

I could have sworn that somewhere in the 9000 pages of RA Twisty threads I read a post from a member who had purchased both the low red and low white versions, and who stated that on full power the beam of the Golden Dragon LED (in the low red model) was a bit cooler when compared to its sibling. I could be wrong though. And I suppose it could also be that the CRI of the Golden Dragon Plus is vastly different from that of the Golden Dragon. Can't wait to see how it plays out in the end. :)

nitecore

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore - you must stop this - you are breaking my wallet :D

This is a very cool development. I'm wondering if lumen output will be about the same level?

Sorry to your wallet:eek:
and sorry again guys, I can't tell anything now. 47s is prepareing an announcement draft, I belive you guys will be impressed by it, so... just be patient :sssh:

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just recently had bought a 3AA under cabinet light made by Sylvania with a Golden Dragon and that baby has PERFECT tint, but I'm pretty sure it's not a newer more effecient version.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, best their cool white can do is 85lm at 350mA, so their Vf (of which I have no idea what is) would have to be significantly lower than most other white LED's for the efficiency to be about the same. I cannot find any Vf specs for the "Plus" series, only the regular "Gold Dragon".

Based on skimming some info from McGizmo's forum here I think I recall that they do indeed have a low Vf.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL.........yup, I believe it's called lurking. And here I am at what, 15 posts and not a single welcome. Thanks for the compliment tho...........
:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

I think you haven't had a "welcome to CPF" because your posts seem to indicate to most other people that you're a very senior and long time CPFer. Glad to have you here!

Last edited:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore - you must stop this - you are breaking my wallet :D

This is a very cool development. I'm wondering if lumen output will be about the same level?
selfbuilt will have some more testing to do in terms of output / runtimes... :popcorn:

Man I was so content with my D10s, and this pops up. On one hand it was starting to get boring because of no real new developments, on the other hand it gets to feel like the initial days of the Smart PD threads where there was a lot of speculation and not a lot of solid information, which makes it very interesting but also difficult for those of us who want info now.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, best their cool white can do is 85lm at 350mA, so their Vf (of which I have no idea what is) would have to be significantly lower than most other white LED's for the efficiency to be about the same. I cannot find any Vf specs for the "Plus" series, only the regular "Gold Dragon".
The datasheets are at the bottom of each of the Golden DRAGON Plus product group pages.

For all 3 Golden DRAGON Plus products:

LCW W5AM (68 lumen)
LW W5AM (71 lumen)
LUW W5AM (105 lumen)

the forward voltage (according to the data sheets) appears to be 2.7/3.2/3.8 V (Min/Typ/Max) at 350mA.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The datasheets are at the bottom of each of the Golden DRAGON Plus product group pages.

For all 3 Golden DRAGON Plus products:

LCW W5AM (68 lumen)
LW W5AM (71 lumen)
LUW W5AM (105 lumen)

the forward voltage (according to the data sheets) appears to be 2.7/3.2/3.8 V (Min/Typ/Max) at 350mA.
What does this mean? Does it mean the max output is only 105 lumen?

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
What does this mean? Does it mean the max output is only 105 lumen?
The spec sheet that I found says 105 lumen @350 mA, but the LED can take from 100 to 1000 mA of forward current.

Page 8 of the data sheet shows different brightness groups, showing lumen ranges from 71 to 150 lumens.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
The spec sheet that I found says 105 lumen @350 mA, but the LED can take from 100 to 1000 mA of forward current.

Page 8 of the data sheet shows different brightness groups, showing lumen ranges from 71 to 150 lumens.
ok thanks.

superflytnt

Enlightened
:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

I think you haven't had a "welcome to CPF" because your posts seem to indicate to most other people that you're a very senior and long time CPFer. Glad to have you here!

LOL, senior (citizen?) flashaholic yes, senior member not so much. I only hope that the improvements to the Osram D10 are only beam pattern/tint as I'm already happy with mine in those respects. If the runtime is improved by much, though, I might just have to sell my baby.............:(

Thanks for the welcome LED! :wave:

Last edited:

momonbubu

Newly Enlightened
hmm, 104lm @ 350 mA, means that it is not as efficient as the new cree R2 (114-122lm @350mA). I guess its efficiency is in between cree q4 (100-107lm @350mA) and q5(107-114lm @350mA).

btw superflytnt :welcome:

foxtrot29

Enlightened
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I'm buying nothing until another significant improvement comes along. (I'll likely convince myself that something minor is something significant... but this isn't it).

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all companies reserve the right to improve and advance their products. Complaining that Nitecore comes out with a new version of a light that you bought is silly. The "older" product is still available. I am not sure that the golden dragon version of the light is a replacement, it might just be an addition to the line up.

The Osram golden dragon is a nice emitter.
It runs on the cool side.
It is VERY WHITE.
It is especially white in the presence of tungsten lighting in the background for some resion.

The GD is used in the McGizmo Lunasol 20 and is a nice bright white emitter.
I am sure that there may be a different bin used in the natrecore lights so the "cool" tint may not apply.

The website claims 130 lumen... the same as the cree version.
The Golden dragon may be more efficient.
I do not know.
I believe the GD is used in the RA twisty version that has a LOW RED.
The Golden dragon has a secondary emitter which is red. It is not in use in the Lunasol.

I happen to like the D10 that I have just like it is. So I may order up an EX 10 with the golden dragon since I don't have one of those yet.

There are other osram emitters in the dragon series. I do wonder why those were not used. Maybe they just weren't right.

I also wonder how the reflector or rather if the reflector has been changed top accommodate the golden dragon which has a TINY emitter, It is about the size of a bic pen tip.
I believe the emitter is a 2.3 watt device. some of the golden dragon emitters are less powerful.

I doubt that nitecore would use this emitter if they were not getting the performance they are looking for from it.
Yaesumofo

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm all for it. If they can get the efficiency then it should have the advantage of a really nice beam over the q5 version. Should have good throw because of the smaller emitter, provided they re-engineer the reflector like Yaesu said.
If they can pull it off it should be an extremely nice light, especially in the 60 dollar range.