Nitecore Gold Dragon plus?

gadgetnerd

Enlightened
I'm up for more Osram GD lights. My Ra Twisty has a fantastic smooth artifact free beam with a tight throwy hotspot. It does tend to look a bit on the violet side, but I'll take that over green any day.

If the new D10 irons out the minor UI bugs related to ramping when on full or low, then it will be an even bigger winner. If it actually introduces low and high as separate modes, then I'll be mightily impressed.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I'll be impressed if I find some of the following in an announcement:
  • Bezel down pocketclip
  • AA extension tube for 2AA
  • An 18650 model
But I do hope to see an improvement in the beam. I have far too many cree lights already.

Marduke

Flashaholic
hmm, 104lm @ 350 mA, means that it is not as efficient as the new cree R2 (114-122lm @350mA). I guess its efficiency is in between cree q4 (100-107lm @350mA) and q5(107-114lm @350mA).

But since the Vf is lower than Cree apparently, the efficiency is about the same.

Thujone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very surprised this thread is not seeing a lot more activity today. This has a lot of potential, especially if we are talking high cri with similar brightness... All I can do is hope that the tint is not cool as some have mentioned.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this speculation...come on 7777...stop the game. Why does this choice exist?

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
All this speculation...come on 7777...stop the game. Why does this choice exist?
The man is busy running a business. This is our speculation. We have no choice but to wait for information. We are in no position to demand like this. :sssh:

joco

Newly Enlightened
Hello, Thujone,

I really know very little about binning on LEDs, but according to the Osram website, the Gold Dragon+ has a color temp of 6500k, and X, Y axis of 31 and 32 respectively. I think that places it in the equivalent cree bin of WC.

I like WC, and I really love my EX-10. Should be interesting.

Still, I look forward to corrections since I really am a novice (except for spending huge amounts or money on this stupid hobby).

John

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL, senior (citizen?) flashaholic yes, senior member not so much. I only hope that the improvements to the Osram D10 are only beam pattern/tint as I'm already happy with mine in those respects. If the runtime is improved by much, though, I might just have to sell my baby.............:(

Thanks for the welcome LED! :wave:

Yes the vision gets very narrow here when something new shows up - :welcome:

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL gratewhitehuntr. We will expect to see nice beam shots from those who will have both LEDs. :D

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a light using an Osram "Golden Dragon" LED. I was expecting a Luxeon I type of output, but I was really amazed. It was pretty bright, like my XR-E P4 based lights, though the beam is floody on this.
It has a very neutral white light (not with the ugly greenish tinge) and Osram claims 80 CRI which is better than most CFLs! Shining it on color charts and color artwork, I can believe it.

I got this 3AA stick up light at WalMart for around $12.

goldendragon.jpg

I hate to say it, but given the neutral white, high CRI and XR-E like output, I'd rather have this LED in my Fenix lights rather than the cool whit XR-E LEDs in them now. (I'd like to try the neutral white XR-Es too)

superflytnt

Enlightened
LED-holic Here's 4Sevens' [URL="https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2554942&postcount=111" said:
post[/url]:
quote]

I apologize for this up front because I've read these forums long enough to know that this'll upset some people but since it's still a free forum this is my opinion. I stipulate that this is all just a possible theory and I might be 100% wrong.

I don't like the timing. 4-7's post was on 7/12, a couple of weeks after the original SPD's shipped. Then, when they're sure that everyone who couldn't wait has already bought the light they start the hype for the Osram and start taking orders. These are just my personal thoughts and as a man of business I understand the rational behind "why sell them one when we can sell them two?" but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I can only wonder if these were developed side-by-side or if they only discovered the Osram after the fact (which is hugely unlikely since the very light that they licensed the PD from uses it)?

These are just my own thoughts, nobody has to agree with them and yes I do want an Osram version of my D10 if it is a legit improvement. I'm stubborn though so we'll see.............

EDIT: sorry the quote didn't show up, I don't know how to do that but it's in post 15

Last edited:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very excited about the prospect of any light with better CRI, especially at an affordable price. Up until now, I have held off ordering either the D10, and EX10 since they didn't offer any improvement in output over the NDI which I already owned. Instead I bought the LiteFlux LF5XT because of its superior smooth beam. In that I am not disappointed at all. However, the prospect of better CRI and still a bright light almost gives me goose bumps. Now, if they only get the reflector right and we have a smooth hot spot/ spill transition, I will be jumping up and down with anticipation.

Hey, 4SEVENS, where are you? Tell us more about this light. Show us some beam shots to wet our appetite even more, even though I am already very hungry.:twothumbs

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I apologize for this up front because I've read these forums long enough to know that this'll upset some people but since it's still a free forum this is my opinion. I stipulate that this is all just a possible theory and I might be 100% wrong.

I don't like the timing. 4-7's post was on 7/12, a couple of weeks after the original SPD's shipped. Then, when they're sure that everyone who couldn't wait has already bought the light they start the hype for the Osram and start taking orders. These are just my personal thoughts and as a man of business I understand the rational behind "why sell them one when we can sell them two?" but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I can only wonder if these were developed side-by-side or if they only discovered the Osram after the fact (which is hugely unlikely since the very light that they licensed the PD from uses it)?

These are just my own thoughts, nobody has to agree with them and yes I do want an Osram version of my D10 if it is a legit improvement. I'm stubborn though so we'll see.............

EDIT: sorry the quote didn't show up, I don't know how to do that but it's in post 15
You're right it's theory. Speculation like this will do us no good.

We're all adults, and we bought the existing Smart PD lights on our free will and knowledge. To place blame on 4sevens or Nitecore for something like this is in very poor taste imho.

Just like the computer industry, the LED technology moves at a lightening pace. We all know going into this hobby that technology will improve. Either you jump in now or you wait forever until the perfect light / technology comes along (which imho will be never for those who are extremely picky about detailed aspects of the light). So short of going completely custom and getting a light made to your specs, one just has to jump in and enjoy the ride.

This is a cheap investment of $55 or so. If you don't like the Q5 LED sell in on B/S/T for very little loss and pick up the new LED.

IMHO the new LED will be nice, but probably will not be compelling enough for many of us, like myself, to justify switching. I like the tint / beam on my D10s right now, so I can't see switching just to get a slightly better color. Maybe 4-5 generations of LEDs from now I would make the jump, but not now.

PS - for those who think buying this new version of the EX10/D10 will be the cat's meow, be aware that there will be other evolutions of the technology in the future. What could they be? Could be anyone's guess, like maybe improvements in the UI, as suggested by some already in this thread, or other design changes.

Do you jump in now to buy, or wait forever for the light to evolve to be the perfect light? Make your choice, but don't get pissed off because there will be future versions of this light and other lights down the road. As an adult when I bought 3 D10s I knew full well that I was taking the risk of having version 1.1 or 2.0 show up sooner or later. Am i upset? Not in the least. I LOVE my D10s and the daily use out of these lights have been well worth it, than if I had kept waiting for the perfect light to show up to buy.

Last edited:

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a light using an Osram "Golden Dragon" LED. I was expecting a Luxeon I type of output, but I was really amazed. It was pretty bright, like my XR-E P4 based lights, though the beam is floody on this.
It has a very neutral white light (not with the ugly greenish tinge) and Osram claims 80 CRI which is better than most CFLs! Shining it on color charts and color artwork, I can believe it.

I got this 3AA stick up light at WalMart for around $12.

goldendragon.jpg

I hate to say it, but given the neutral white, high CRI and XR-E like output, I'd rather have this LED in my Fenix lights rather than the cool whit XR-E LEDs in them now. (I'd like to try the neutral white XR-Es too)

This is the light I spoke of earlier in this post. I've gone around comparing it to every light in my house and NOTHING beats its color rendition, not CFL, not incan, not my L2T Cree. This thing is the closest I have ever seen to natural sunlight and when comparing it next to sunlight it actually is close, but has a slight rose tint to it. I tell you what though, I wasn't interested in these Nitecore in the first release, but if they have the tint of this light and Cree effieciency, I'm sold.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the light I spoke of earlier in this post. I've gone around comparing it to every light in my house and NOTHING beats its color rendition, not CFL, not incan, not my L2T Cree. This thing is the closest I have ever seen to natural sunlight and when comparing it next to sunlight it actually is close, but has a slight rose tint to it. I tell you what though, I wasn't interested in these Nitecore in the first release, but if they have the tint of this light and Cree effieciency, I'm sold.
Interesting. I have the CostCo version of these lights, and honestly I think the praise is a bit over the top. Color rendition like the sun? Not really.

I would be shocked if they are a vast improvement over the crees. But then again, I would enjoy being proven wrong.

I'm sure the Golden Dragon will be better, but to heap such praise on these new LEDs as if they're the next coming of Jesus is a bit over the top, imho.

Beamshots, we need beamshots.

superflytnt

Enlightened
Do you jump in now to buy, or wait forever for the light to evolve to be the perfect light? Make your choice, but don't get pissed off because there will be future versions of this light and other lights down the road. As an adult when I bought 3 D10s I knew full well that I was taking the risk of having version 1.1 or 2.0 show up sooner or later. Am i upset? Not in the least. I LOVE my D10s and the daily use out of these lights have been well worth it, than if I had kept waiting for the perfect light to show up to buy.

I'm not pissed, I just don't like that kind of sales strategy. They obviously knew about the Osram since McGizmo's lights (the ones that NC got the Piston Drive from) already use them.

I consider "future versions" to be maybe 6 months down the road, not hinted at 2 weeks after the original begins shipping. YMMV

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not pissed, I just don't like that kind of sales strategy. They obviously knew about the Osram since McGizmo's lights (the ones that NC got the Piston Drive from) already use them.

I consider "future versions" to be maybe 6 months down the road, not announced 2 weeks after the original begins shipping. YMMV
Like I said, we have no idea what the real situation was. We can speculate all we want and moan and groan, but we're adults and we should take responsibility for our own actions.

4sevens has proven to be an incredible seller who tries to satisfy even the most critical buyer, so to place rumors of unethical seller practices on him is in poor taste, imho.

We can speculate and diss 4sevens and even nitecore all we want, but in the end we do ourselves a disservice. What if they do release a new light, and then figure out an improvement? Would you want them to withhold that improvement so we can feel better about our selves? I'd want new innovations to come out as soon as possible, than hurt ourselves by denying us access to new technology just to make us feel better.

Like I said, I dove in with 3 purchases of the Q5 D10s, and I have no regrets. To play the "victim" is not fair to ourselves or to the seller.

IMHO this type of discussion is truly going to hurt us, and our relationship with 4sevens and other manufacturers / sellers. They're placed in a no-win situation. This is a business. Businesses introduce new / improved products as they see fit, according to demand. To denounce these practices is not productive, and will hurt us all. We will have much more limited access to future information, and the sellers / manufacturers will see us like little babies who can't handle the responsibility of making our own buying decisions.

Last edited: