Nitecore QC is terrible. Two dead EA41's!

Skeeterg

Enlightened
I do think the biggest problem is which vendor they are purchasing from,and not always the manufacturer. I do not always buy from the cheapest websites anymore.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I never had a problem with any Nitecore products but only have a headlamp, charger, headband and old EX11.

pblanch

Enlightened
I have a MT40, ES4S and a week ago picked up a MH20GT. And a D2 charger. All have preformed as expected and the build quality is just spot on. They have been on a roll lately. I have even put away my zebralight SC52 and am just in love with the MH.

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had excellent luck with the 16 NC lights I have-I broke a reverse polarity disc, and their customer service offered to install a new one at no charge(even though it was my fault), and on the end, per my request just sent the replacement(actually I asked for one and they sent two. I only write this post to encourage you that they are responsive. I too am pleased to see them on the forum. Regarding "allowed" or "approved". I will complain about Surefire, or any brand that there is a problem with. I have heard mention of "moderators" who won't allow things to go against companies(Surefire and Zebralight to be specific), but I have never experienced it, or seen anyone else have that problem-I really appreciate Greta and the Moderators and after joining other forums I Only love CPF more. Sorry for the rant...

Did you ever find out if yours were authentic or not? I know the knockoff chargers had that issue so maybe that's the problem? Haven't had any issues with both of my authentic ones.

Yes. When their website started validating codes in English again they were authentic. The measured voltages matched my fluke.

The materials or parts sourced for the power cord/(and as someone that has gone thru UL and esh reviews) was severely lacking.

The chargers themselves have been fine. So perhaps a nit... It's just a nit that could have fatal consequences.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear @Biggoggs and CPF members,

Thank you for sharing your experience. We are sorry to learn your beloved flashlight turned malfunctioning.
Have you contacted your seller for warranty service? That's the quickest way to get served. Meanwhile please send us an email with details to [email protected]. We will see to your issue immediately.

Nitecore Team

WOW :) OK. May I ask a question of my theory? As fas as I know in mass production not every item might pass the actual quality check. This is being done in samples: say, only 100 is being checked out of a 1000 batch. I don't know real border values, but, for example, if 15 of the 100 sample do not pass QC, then the entire 1000 batch is being denied.

Now the question itself: is there a slight probability that the mentioned above denied batch somehow may reach the market? :) Of course, the items of the denied batch will be cheaper, but with extremely high rate of failures.

Just my theory :)

It always sucks to have an item crap out on you. I'm getting to the point now where I'm pretty content to stick to just a few manufacturers that sell super high quality stuff. Even if it costs a bit more I'm willing to shell out the cash if it gets a better product.

NitecoreStore

Enlightened
Nitecore warranty is handled by the authorized vendor you purchased the light from. If you cannot reach the vendor or the vendor does not respond, you can email [email protected] with the s/n number to locate a closest distributor.

If you are in the States and want some quicker resolution, you can contact us at [email protected]. Although we mainly serve warranty for customers from our store and dealers, we can usually help you with a better solution.

The warranty itself is pretty solid. We guarantee your lights fixed or replaced even beyond the warranty period.

As I remember, the EA41 is quite sensitive to the position of the AAs. Try take out the batteries and reinstall them a couple times. Usually it fixes the problem. You can contact us if you are in US.

eekazum

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW :) OK. May I ask a question of my theory? As fas as I know in mass production not every item might pass the actual quality check. This is being done in samples: say, only 100 is being checked out of a 1000 batch. I don't know real border values, but, for example, if 15 of the 100 sample do not pass QC, then the entire 1000 batch is being denied.

Now the question itself: is there a slight probability that the mentioned above denied batch somehow may reach the market? :) Of course, the items of the denied batch will be cheaper, but with extremely high rate of failures.

Just my theory :)

For the manufacturer, that's literally asking (no, begging) for trouble. There are plenty of dishonest people out there drooling to screw the big guy over. It would cost more money to individually identify the "dropout batch" as such and some of these failures could lead to injuries which, in turn, leads to class action suits and ultimately, a severe drop in the company's reputation.

Safety is always a heavy factor and high-voltage, high-current, and high-temperature devices like our flashlights need to be fully idiotproofed before released to the general public.

This is also what allows modders to boost, swap, and overclock stock material to peak performance, while sacrificing safety. As my electrical teacher once told me "cheap, fast or quality. Pick any two."

Before any of that, from a business standpoint, you really don't want to publicize failure rate statistics and such.

If you want cheap and second rate, go to Walmart or Big Lots.

Last edited:

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Normally, one out of every so many is taken off the line and tested/measured, whether a part or the finished product. The results are then plotted against the design specs, and any trends towards being out of spec will trigger a line examination to find out why. Also, for a while the sample frequency will be increased so the trend can be tracked more easily. If a sample is out of spec, the line will be stopped until the problem is corrected, and the already completed parts/units tested to find the first out of spec one. With today's CMM (Computer Measuring Machine) and High Definition video systems, some tests can be done right on the line without affecting production.

About the only time so many out of a batch are tested is if a part or sub-assembly is being sourced from another vendor, where samples per batch are to check for compliance to spec. If the batch doesn't pass, it is rejected and returns to the vendor - his problem. Back in the 90s when I was working at an engine plant, if we didn't have engines available to the car assembly plant and they had to stop their line, it was IIRC $1000 minute penalty to our plant. You make sure your quality is right.

freeride21a

Newly Enlightened
I got my ea41 last year (2/15), it did the dim out failure about 3 weeks ago. I love the design, size, beam, levels of it, but there is one part that has to be failing inside. Can that part be replaced?

LED Monkey

Enlightened
It's good to see someone from Nitecore here attempting to resolve your problem, and if the vendor is supposed to be the one to helping you out and are not doing so I hope Nitecore will light a fire under their arss. I've had a Nitecore P12 now for a while and it's been good to me. I liked enough to buy my brother a P12 for a birthday present but he recently lost it in house fire and he lost everything else too. It's (mostly) all about backing your product so I hope Nitecore will resolve your problem.

Biggoggs

Newly Enlightened
Not defending them in any way: But say what you want about them, at-least they are here attempting to actively monitor & respond to consumer complaints. That is more than I can say for some of the other mass light manufactures.
Interesting enough, user "Sysmax Ind." responded on CPF before Nitecore email support did.

It always sucks to have an item crap out on you. I'm getting to the point now where I'm pretty content to stick to just a few manufacturers that sell super high quality stuff. Even if it costs a bit more I'm willing to shell out the cash if it gets a better product.
Yea I've learned my lesson, it's cost me ~$40 so far in shipping warranty returns for a flashlight that retails for ~AU$110.

Nitecore warranty is handled by the authorized vendor you purchased the light from. If you cannot reach the vendor or the vendor does not respond, you can email [email protected] with the s/n number to locate a closest distributor.

If you are in the States and want some quicker resolution, you can contact us at [email protected]. Although we mainly serve warranty for customers from our store and dealers, we can usually help you with a better solution.

The warranty itself is pretty solid. We guarantee your lights fixed or replaced even beyond the warranty period.

As I remember, the EA41 is quite sensitive to the position of the AAs. Try take out the batteries and reinstall them a couple times. Usually it fixes the problem. You can contact us if you are in US.
I'm assuming this isn't directed at me.

I got my ea41 last year (2/15), it did the dim out failure about 3 weeks ago. I love the design, size, beam, levels of it, but there is one part that has to be failing inside. Can that part be replaced?
There must be a defect in the way the emitter is joined to the rest of the circuit, I'd be interested to know too if it can be manually repaired. Hopefully being in the USA you'll have better luck with warranty repairs & returns than I have.

After making a video demonstrating the fault with the flashlight they sent me (as they requested), I received an RMA and have sent EA41 #2 back. Tracking says it was delivered but Nitecore returns/repairs don't seem to communicate anything to customers, so it will probably be another four weeks before I know anything if the previous return is anything to go by.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
hey OP. I see you are in Australia where everything costs 35% more than it does in the states so I know things like this sting. Sysmax has publicly offered to take care of you follow their instructions. Also, I know this is just adding more costs, buy a can of Deoxit D100, the metal adapter tube with the 45 degree down angle at the end of it and a bunch of lint free cloths. Also if Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA's are available to you there buy some. Those are the best non rechargeable cells you can put in the light.

You wont find a more skeptical about NC flashaholic than myself. Been collecting lights since 1996. My first NC was the first P12. I hated it with a passion. The glare coat was only applied halfway across the lens and the tint was painful to look at it was so harsh with streaks of violently bright purple. Then came my SRT6 and 7. Got them both as soon as they came out. The cheap plastic "tactical" rings broke in half in less than a month. Neither of the two lights put out anywhere near the output NC say they do. After a LOT of research I learned that using 2x16340 sources took both lights from 780 OTF to 860 OTF I have run both like that since.

I tried getting new rings from NC themselves for almost two years resulting in getting emails back from them that were just ads for more of their lights.

Fast forward to late 2015 and NC really seems to have turned one huge corner. Their new lights are far better designs with far better build quality and they test out to or above spec now.

If NC wants you to pay for the shipping go ahead and do it. You should get your light back straightened out.

AussieRanga

Enlightened
Yes. When their website started validating codes in English again they were authentic. The measured voltages matched my fluke.

The materials or parts sourced for the power cord/(and as someone that has gone thru UL and esh reviews) was severely lacking.

The chargers themselves have been fine. So perhaps a nit... It's just a nit that could have fatal consequences.

Odd, I kinda had the opposite experience.. Although mine were both genuine (i4 chargers) they were absolutely horrible at terminating cells on time which was verified with a Fluke DMM and 3 Xtar VP chargers with voltage display.

I had one Nitecore and one Jetbeam branded charger and every single slot would charge to at least 4.21V with the worst being one slot on the JB going up to 4.23. For me, using non-protected cells, this was a worry. Couple that with more than likely the most complaints for any of the big players and it is easy to see why NC really has such a bad rep.

Build a good light that we want and you wont need to waste so much on the marketing BS ;)

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Odd, I kinda had the opposite experience.. Although mine were both genuine (i4 chargers) they were absolutely horrible at terminating cells on time which was verified with a Fluke DMM and 3 Xtar VP chargers with voltage display.

I had one Nitecore and one Jetbeam branded charger and every single slot would charge to at least 4.21V with the worst being one slot on the JB going up to 4.23. For me, using non-protected cells, this was a worry. Couple that with more than likely the most complaints for any of the big players and it is easy to see why NC really has such a bad rep.

Build a good light that we want and you wont need to waste so much on the marketing BS ;)

http://lygte-info.dk/info/BatteryCharge4.2V UK.html

MastyrOfPuppitz

Newly Enlightened
I don't get all this Nitecore hate. I have been a NC user for 5 years and have only had problems due to dropping off 6/8/12' ladders onto concrete (yes I've lost 3).

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suppose, in this era of massive mass production, crazy demand, tight deadlines, ever rising expectations, and serious competition... not everything is tested thoroughly before shipment.

I still want my service and quality!!... but I understand. :)

I disagree. You shouldn't be expected to accept poor quality control when you buy something. These lights aren't cheap, and they should be thoroughly checked before they are boxed and sent out the door. If the OP's light fails, and he has to spend $20 to send it back for the "free warranty" repair, then has to wait 7 weeks before a new light arrives, only to discover that it doesn't work at all, then they are installing poor quality electronics or not doing a good job of soldering connections. There's no excuse for that.

Well, my Nitecore Intellicharger i4 that I bought 4 years ago, and use every day is still hanging in there at least. I definitely got my $25 worth out of that purchase.

Last edited: