NOT JUST ANOTHER THOR MOD !! (the Maxablaster!)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: NOT JUST ANOTHER THOR MOD !!

I'm in awe.

When I saw the spectacularly bright image return you got a 800yds I was trying to imagine the throw limit at about 2mi but this thing dances with clouds four mi away. I would truly like to see that thing in person.

There so many wonderful components to your light. I'll mention one I especially like. The way you can precision focus it with three axises. Man that takes some creative thinking and heavy skills to build that focusing apparatus.

What a stunner.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Whoww,, Idid not expect this to happen. I don't have much time now, must go to work. So I'll be back later. But I can answer one question PoliceScannerMan: My avatar is part of the following:

hgarcmaxab3jy.jpg

Greetings from Holland.

roguesw

Enlightened

to steal a line from another thread

"What ever you do guys, dont cross the beams"

that is an amazing mod, straight out of the movies

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is it possible to use two 12V SLA mini batteries? Combined, it looks to be the same size as the original battery. I saw some of the small batteries that were half the size of the one that comes in the original Thor at Fry's. I think they were 7Ah rated and about $14 apiece, IIRC.

Jeff

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast

if your feeling giving.. i'll take it :D...

excellent build! :rock:

WhiteHot

Enlightened

Good god man!!!!! That thing is ridiculous. I love it.

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast

Jaw drops, drools, and forgets how to speak. What a light!

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for your reactions from all over the world! Please ask me if you want more details.

As you can see.. I did not cross the beams, indeed god knows what would happen!! But thanks for the warning..
The 'faint' beam is from Maxabeam at high power spot focus.

And here are some trees at approx 600 yards, again (the beam on the right) Maxabeam high power spot.

beams27ja.jpg

Did you ever use a mirror to reflect the sun to annoy neighbours, dreaming of owning a torchlight that could do the same thing... well, I did !!
Beleve me, at broad daylight, with the sun at its highest point, this mercury Thor gives the same performance as a 8 inch diameter flat mirror reflecting direct sunlight. The spot is visible on buildings more than 400 yards away!

Stay tuned...

Last edited:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ra said:
And below you can see the small diference in surface-brightness compared to the sun.

hgandsunjd7.jpg

Did you ever use a mirror to reflect the sun to anoy neighbours, dreaming of owning a torchlight that could do the same thing...
Of course.

Ra said:
well, I did !!
Yes you did. Congratulations!

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few more details: The weight of the monster is exact 6 kg or 13.2 lbs, 1.5 times the weight of maxabeam (MB: including a 12v 7Ah lead-acid battery).
But it feels quite portable because the grip has a 'smooth' shape.

48 c-cells indeed add alot of pounds, but a lighter powersource (lithuim-ion) would be more dificult to maintain (I think..). Using less expensive lead-acid batteries would have given less capacity.
The cells are made for high demanding purposes: rc-racing. I found their capacity acceptable.

I failed to mention another 'con' in the world of pro's of this torch: Like HID it needs its time to start up: The mercury-arc lamp needs about 1.5 minutes to evaporate the mercury inside and build up the ultra high internal pressure (+85 ATM's!)

Another pro to compensate: The lamp operates much more stable in various burning positions compared to the maxabeam-arc lamp: At sertain angles the maxabeam-arc begins to 'wobble' a bit, creating very little but noticable flikkering.
Because the mecury-arc lamp must be mounted "anode-down" when you point the torch at the sky (the maxabeam lamp must be "anode-up") the hot gas flow inside is more smooth, causing the arc to be very stable!

Last edited:

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast

"WOW" KILLER MOD MAN!!! :rock:

I love it!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

winny

Flashlight Enthusiast

Simply amazing! My hat off for you! :bow:

Where did you get the lamp and ballast? Is it an UHP Hg-lamp?