NOT JUST ANOTHER THOR MOD !! (the Maxablaster!)

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: NOT JUST ANOTHER THOR MOD !!

Ra said:
And here are some trees at approx 600 yards, again (the beam on the right) Maxabeam high power spot.

beams27ja.jpg

Sorry, man, but I think you forgot to turn on the MaxaBeam. :lolsign:

:bow: :bow:

Who's the CPF'er who wants to "hold the sun" in his hands? :thinking:

leduk

Enlightened

I like the ignition switch best....
Apart from the danger.....
And the light.....

nemul

Flashlight Enthusiast

now build a Magmod.. HID, Hotwire, or LED.. i would love to see what you come up with!

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

nemul said:
now build a Magmod.. HID, Hotwire, or LED.. i would love to see what you come up with!

Uhhmmmm,, how about this:

dsc04766ty5.jpg

And finished, it looks like this:

img6704ps4.jpg

10Watt Welch Allyn HID, perfect parabolic dichoric (cold) reflector (98% reflection), 2hours burntime, 250,000 beam cp, 1000 yards throw!
And waterproof up till depths of 200 ft.

Comming soon in a new thread near you... Edit: It is near you!!: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=126565

Last edited:

tarsier

Newly Enlightened

Did I hear group buy? You interested in making 50 of those wonderful lights?

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice stuff!!!

Any 24W HID`s planned for the future?

The 10W HID will do for now ;)

Keep the pictures comming,
Benny

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

With my busy life I don't have the time to make a lot of these lights. And it takes a lot of effort to get the most cp's out of 10watt HID: The reflector is from an old used digital projector lamp, I removed the protective bulb around the very fragile 10watt HID lamp, just to get 6% more light output. But it adds up: 98% reflective reflector, removed protective bulb, multilayer coated front window (99.3% overall transmittance) All that together gives alot more light!! and throw as well: The 10Watt Welch Allyn has much higher surface brightness than automotive HID's ! That means high throw with small reflector.

img6705nv8.jpg

PS. As a result of the high performance anti-reflex coating, you don't see the front window, but beleve me, its there!

Last edited:

Orbit

Enlightened

Well done!

you have put alot of effort into it and that is great to see...Simply awesome output as well, a fantastic effort. The only thing i beat you on is runtime:awman:
looks like i'm going to have to lift my game:candle:
can you provide a link for the reflector source?

That_Guy

Enlightened

Holy Hell! Wow! This is amazing! I haven't been this excited in a long time (I guess I must be a real geek if something like this gets me excited!)

I've been dreaming of making a Maxabeam killer for quite a while now (along with a lot of other people I'm sure), not that it was anything more than a dream. Actually I had been eyeing that particular lamp for use in a Maxabeam killer. Compared to the Maxabeam's lamp it has a shorter arc gap (0.25mm vs. 0.6 something mm IIRC) AND higher luminous output (3000lm vs. <1000lm) resulting in a MUCH higher surface brightness (170kcd/cm2 vs. 30 – 40kcd/cm2 (just a guess based on other lamps XSA lamps in the same wattage range)) than the Maxabeam lamp.

My plan was to swap it out with the lamp in the Maxabeam since the MB is the only light with a suitable reflector (high quality nickel rhodium) and it also had a ballast which may be compatible (constant current DC), not sure weather it would handle the higher operating voltage though. The only problems were the long warm up time and higher colour temperature (I think they're meant to be around 9500K which is meant to be a disgusting blueish-purple).

It's quite a coincidence that you've reappeared just now. I was rereading all your posts about your super dooper Maxabeam only last week, and mentioned you in a post only a few days ago! It was you who taught me (and a number of others) about the concept of surface brightness, and how throw is determined not by lumens, but by surface brightness. Despite your short time on CPF I've certainly learnt a lot from you. (Yes I'm sucking up, but it's true).

OK, question time:
What is the colour like? Is it really 9500K like I said before? How "pleasing" is it compared to the pure white Maxabeam?

How does it warm up? Does it produce any light when you first turn it on? Does the brightness ramp up linearly, or is it more like D2S lamps which produce light when first turned on and quickly reach 80%, and then slowly increases to 100%? I think the name for the curve is logarithmic, not sure though, I'm no good at maths.

In the down the road pictures you can see a large part of the ground being lit up. Is this due to the spill light, or is it part of a much larger secondary beam?

Can you tell me more about the ballast? How big is it? Is it a custom design? How much did it cost? It's funny because it was Marc from AE who first suggested to me about using mercury short arc lamps when I enquired about what lamp to use to make a super thrower. Actually he said that he knew of one guy who had made a spotlight using a UHP lamp, was he talking about you? He said he lived in Florida, you live in the Netherlands, so maybe not.

This might sound strange, but why is it "only" 38 mil cp? In one of your earlier posts you managed to get a 12 mil cp Maxabeam through selecting the one with the best reflector and AR coating the lens. The HBO lamp has 4 – 5 times the surface brightness of the XBO lamp in the Maxabeam, so if used in the Maxabeam it should give 50 mil cp. Now you're using it in a much larger reflector. It has a much larger diameter and is shallower so when taking both these into account the focal length is MUCH longer than that of the MB reflector. So shouldn't this be pumping out well over 100 mil cp?

I gather I'm missing something here. Is the surface brightness of the MB lamp much higher than 30 – 40kcd/cm2? Or is it because the hand picked MB reflector of yours is much higher quality than the reflector you're using in this light?

Why doesn't the beam appear to be any tighter than the Maxabeam? The arc gap is smaller, so given the same reflector it should be smaller, but you're using it in a much larger reflector so the beam should be MUCH tighter than the MB. Is it just because it is so much brighter than the MB it appears larger than it really is?

Some more general questions:

What do you think of the UHP lamps used in projectors? They are AC and have a larger arc gap (1mm), but are twice as efficient, have a lower colour temperature (7000K), but have a similar surface brightness. They can also have a dichroic coating on one hemisphere of the arc capsule to reflect light back into the arc, allowing a much shallower (and thus longer focal length) reflector to be used, which is pretty neat.

I'm not sure of the exact surface brightness, but looking at this PDF (which is my only source of info in UHP lamps) it appears to be between 100 - 200kcd/cm2, similar to that of the lamp you're using. It also mentions experimental lamps with 0.3mm arc gaps with surface brightness' above 600kcd/cm2!

What is the surface brightness of the 10W Solarc lamp? I know it has a very short arc gap (1.2mm IIRC), but it also has a very low luminous output (not sure if this is the right term, I mean lumens), so I can't see the surface brightness being any higher than standard D2S lamps. Do you know about the larger 21W and 50W Solarc lamps? They have the same arc gap as the 10W, so the surface brightness should be quite high with these lamps (especially the 50W).

What do you think of the Cermax Xenon arc lamps by PerkinElmer? The neat thing about these is that the arc gap is constant for a wide range of wattages, so by the time you get to 800W the arc gap is very small for its power relative to standard quartz xenon lamps (0.97mm @ 800W). Do you think that this could compete with, or even better short arc mercury lamps? Only problem is that these lamps have an integral elliptical reflector which means you would need to use lens optics which as far as I know can't throw as far as parabolic reflectors given the same size. However they give a much nicer beam pattern than reflectors.

Like I said before this light is truly amazing. It LITERALY is my dream light made into reality. OK, not quite, my dream light didn't use the Thor as a host; I planned on either using the HBO lamp in a Maxabeam or in a large pistol grip spotlight like the Lightforce Blitz. I must have this light! I assume you'll be willing to make some more as long as people pay you enough. There's no way I can possibly afford one at the moment, but I am going to do whatever it takes to get enough money for one of these! This hasn't just displaced the Maxabeam from the top spot on my dream light list; it has knocked it off completely. Who could possibly want a puny Maxabeam compared to this? Well I guess the Maxabeam does still have its advantages. It's instant on, has electronic focus, smaller, pure white xenon light, and also produces much less intense spill light due to the lower lumens which is good for not waking everyone up when you use it on the street. But since the only thing the MB is good for is throw, and this monster has it beat there really isn't much use for a MB anymore.

You should post something about this in the HID forum. I know cross posting isn't allowed, but I hardly ever visit this forum, it was only through luck that I found this when I saw the word "Thor" in the last post preview. The HID forum, on the other hand, I visit many times a day.

Well done Ra, you have made something truly amazing!

Last edited:

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

dear That Guy, Thank for all the positive remarks. I wanted to send a PM, but realized that others as well could be interested in my answers to your questions.

You are quite well informed on this lamp-business, but (how do I say this nicely..) Your theory has some very small impurities... That is, if it comes to surface brightness.

So, lets begin with that subject, shall we??: The specs on surface brightnesses of the maxabeam lamp and the HBO103 W/2 are right on the spot: 40kcd/cm2 for the 75watt Xe-lamp used in Maxabeam and 170kcd/cm2 for the 103 W/2 mercury arc. But there is something they forget to mention: The surface brightness distribution over the arc! The arc does not have the same surf br. over its entire surface! And here lays the big diference between the Xe and the Hg lamps. The 40kcd for the Xe is a mean value, but the arc has a very bright hotspot close to the cathode! The surface br. towards the anode is much lower than 40kcd/cm2 but is still part of the arcsize you mentioned! This means that the hotspot has a much higher surface brightness, I don't know the axact value but my guess is close to 100kcd/cm2
so that makes the diference between Hg and Xe a lot smaller!

And now this: The tight spot you see coming from Maxabeam in spot mode is created by the hotspot of the arc only, If you have a perfect reflector and the Maxabeam lamp is collimated well you will see a tight spot in a round hase of sidespill, this sidespill is formed by the rest of the arc.

The spot of my Maxabeam-exterminator is formed by the entire arc, the Hg arc has a much, much more even suf.br. ditribution with two only slightly brighter hotspots close to the electrodes!
So with that in mind, its obvious that the Hg-arc has a larger 'usable' surface, creating a slightly bigger spot than Maxabeam does using only the one small hotspot of the Xe-arc.
I cannot give the exact mathematics, but my feeling is that with all this in mind the "usable" surface brightness of the Hg-arc is about 1.5 times the surface brightness of the Xe-arc generated in Maxabeam.
I hope to come with arc-pictures soon, then you can actually see the diference.

And now Hg-arc in Maxabeam: It is possible, but there is one big problem: The maxabeam has no problems starting the lamp, it starts at high power, the problems start when the electronics switch to nominal power after a few seconds! Nominal power is much to low for maintaining the Hg-arc. So this is what happens: Maxabeam starts at high power, after a few secs loses the arc, performing an imidiate restart at high power (very fast, the 'off' period is about 1/10th of a second). It will do this again and again till you switch off the lamp. So If you can find a way to keep Maxabeam at high power from start to end, it would perform well with Hg-arc!
I could not find a low-volt input Hg-ballast so I'm using a Xe-ballast as well!

The "only 38 million cp" has two reasons: The one mentioned above: The surface brightness being not as much higher than Maxabeams Xe than you thought. And... I operate the lamp at 85 watts, close to the minimum needed.

As for the 12 million cp for my Maxabeam I mentioned earlier: My calibrated equipment was not as calibrated as I thought! It measured 8 million cp when I found the flaw in my equipment, a few months ago. Did not feel nessesary to correct an old post, sorry for that.

Colortemp: Indeed that also was one of my concerns, but it turned out to be not that bad!: Indeed its more bluish, but not much. The diference is best noticable with skintones! But hey, I made this monster to throw, not to reveal axact colors. I could be wrong but my guess is about 7000K compared to the 6000K Maxabeam.

You asked about the light level at startup: Very dim!!! I'll have to be honest about the fact that starting this lamp takes its time. Maybe because of the Xe-ballast reacting to the high Hg arc-voltage needed during startup: When the arc forms it switches off one or two times. During that proces the inside pressure rises, dropping the maintenace voltage within acceptable limits.
However hot restrike goes as smooth as it possibly can!

As for the UHP-lamps: I'm not familliaiaiair (please correct me..) enough with those, to say anything other than this: Promissing, I've saved the Pdf you mentioned, interesing stuff, I'll look into it.

10watt HID: Its about the same story as above: The arc has two hotspots close to the electrodes. Using a high quality parablolic reflector, I managed to concentrate the light of the hotspot close to the anode to a very small, tight spot. That cannot be done using mag-reflectors: too many imperfections in the shape. But there is another important issue, and I hope you will understand this: Optical arc-dissplacement... The main reason I removed the protective bulb around the 10watt HID bulb: This bulb is formed like a tube: Not a round, globular bulb. If you want to concentrate the light from a hotspot only 0.05mm wide the tubelike bulb causes an optical dissplacement that makes perfect parabolic reflectors useless for this purpose! The bulb around the arc must be round, creating the same optical effect in any direction, the very small bulb around the 10watt-arc is round enough to do this.
The 24watt and 50watt Welch Allyn HID's indeed could have higher surface brightness, but I found the 10Watt most suitable for this small light.

So, now I'm going to feed the cat..

Laterrr.

Last edited:

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast

Amazing! :thumbsup: I'd love to see a shoot out with this and the BarnBurner and others.

That 10W looks very nice too.

-LT

That_Guy

Enlightened

Thanks for the reply Ra.

You're explanation of the difference between peak and mean surface brightness makes sense - thanks. It would sure make things a lot easier if the manufacturers when specifying surface brightness on lamp data sheets said weather it was peak or mean!

So the advantage of Hg lamps over Xe lamps isn't so much the higher surface brightness, but the more even distribution of light across the arc which results in a larger, more even beam. So if I wanted instant on and used a 75W Xe lamp (like the Maxabeam lamp) instead of the Hg lamp I wouldn't loose too much cp – only approx. 25mcp vs. 38mcp – but would have a much smaller (less lumens), less even beam, making it harder to tell what it is I'm actually looking at. The only thing I don't understand is why the DC Hg arc is so uniform. I thought only AC arcs were uniform, and that all DC arcs had a "hotspot" at the cathode?

Is there any particular reason you're only operating the lamp at 85W? If you drive it at 100W you could break the 40mcp barrier or even the magical 50mcp barrier if you overdrive it a little.

As for the UHP-lamps: I'm not familliaiaiair (please correct me..)
Correct spelling is "familiar".

But there is another important issue, and I hope you will understand this: Optical arc-dissplacement...
I think I know what you mean – let me know if I'm on the right track. The problem is due to refraction. When the outer bulb is perpendicular to the arc hotspot there isn't a problem because the light passes through unaltered. However when it passes through at an angle (not perpendicular) the light refracts when it enters the glass, and refracts again when it exists. Even though the angle of the light remains the same after it exits the glass (remains parallel to the original ray), it has been offset by a small distance due to travelling through the glass at a slightly different angle. So the distance the light is offset would be dependent on the angle and the thickness of the glass. This offset means that the hotspot is effectively out of focus at all angles not perpendicular to the arc. I haven't explained it very well, it would be clearer if I drew a diagram, but I'm too lazy.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

And I thought that it would be hard making you understand optical arc dissplacement.... You perfectly understand what I'm talking about That Guy, you are right on the spot !! You gave a better explanation than I did, so you are not as lazy as you think! (I think..) Now you also understand that optical dissplacement is not such a big issue on this forum: when you use halogen or HID The size of the filament or HID-arc is too big to be moved totally out of focus by optical dissplacement, unless the glass that causes the dissplacement happens to be very, very thick!! Even with the 10watt Solarc-arc this is not a problem: I made it a problem because I concentrated on the very small hotspot at the anode: less than 0.1 mm wide!

85 watts is about the max power my ballast can produce, I'm looking for a higher power ballast. But at 85watts I have longer lamplife (aprox 450hrs) If I could get my hands on a higher power ballast, I would create at least two power settings (like Maxabeam) 85watts lo, and 120watts hi.
Somewhere I must have the schematics of the Maxabeam ballast, maybe in the future I try to make one, I think it should give more than 100watts.

But let me tell you that I'm very pleased with the performance of this Maxablaster, even at 85watts: 2.5 times Maxabeam on lumens, more than 5 times Maxabeam on candlepower, (1.5 times the weight of MB....): For the moment I don't need more !!

As for the uniform mercury-arc: I'm not sure, but I think its a combination of high pressure and gas-type: The pressure in Hg-arc lamps is much higher than in Xe-arc lamps. And Hg-gas is heavy, so the arc is forced to follow a narrow path to the anode, keeping it dense with a uniform surface brightness.
I'll try to photograph the Hg and Xe arcs and post the pics so you can see the diference, it will take time cause its not an easy job.
BTW: When I look at the Hg-arc at startup using a welding filter, I can see the arc becomming narrower as the pressure builds up! (can I post little movies???)

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Taylorf said:
Wow, awesome.

What is the purpose of the LEDs on top of it?

What a silly question. It's to tell if the light is on. :whistle:

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast

xpitxbullx said:
Is it possible to use two 12V SLA mini batteries? Combined, it looks to be the same size as the original battery. I saw some of the small batteries that were half the size of the one that comes in the original Thor at Fry's. I think they were 7Ah rated and about $14 apiece, IIRC.

Jeff

Nimh is definitely the better option. 2x 12V 7Ah SLA gives 168 VAh and 48 x 1.2V 3300mAh (sub C?) gives 190VAh. Not to mention that the discharge curve of NiMh is more suited to the constant output required by an arc lamp. So a regulator circuit will maintain regulation for longer with Nimh.

Ra, with a battery pack this large, it would be a good idea to use an active monitoring board to monitor each cell.

http://www.powerstream.com/pack-control.htm

If you had a death wish, you could use 18650 2400mah LG li-ion cells. I estimate, you would get at least 300VAh in the same space. It would be much lighter too.

Just a thought

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks Monkeyboy,
Very interesting info. Brainstorming about this creates better mod's in the future!

I'm well aware of the problem with large packs. But in my case monitoring each cell is not an option, simply because I don't have the room for the electronics!! I already had to buckle my mind to get the the ballast + igniter along with 48 sub-c cell's inside the Thor: My reflector assembly is deeper than the original Thor reflector!
So maybe not the most perfect option, but I settled for 48 cells without monitoring each cell.

BUT... The LED-voltage controll at the top has its advantage here: Keeping the voltage within ballast-range In my case also means keeping the voltage within reasonably battery-pack range: The two are very close together.
Ofcource this means that I don't use the entire capacity of the pack (by far!), but hopefully will enjoy a longer pack-life.

And don't forget, I mentioned earlier the the cells are matched for RC-racing: also a demanding job!

Anyhow, thanks for trying to help making this a perfect mod.
Very interesting website you mentioned.

Thanks.

That_Guy

Enlightened

Ra,

I have the Maxabeam schematics if you're interested, although they're from 1993 so they might be out of date. I'm not an expert at electronics, but as far as I can tell the different modes change the current by changing the gain of an op-amp by selecting different feedback resistor combinations. So to overcome the problem of the lamp dropping out when the Maxabeam switches from start-up to normal mode you could change the resistors to be the same as the resistors on start-up mode.

The only thing I don't understand is why the lamp works on start-up mode but not on normal. If anything I thought it would be the opposite. On start-up mode the lamp current is 14A which overdrives the lamp which is rated at 4.44A. On normal mode the lamp current is 7A which is closer to spec. I thought the main problem would the ballast not being able to supply a high enough voltage. The Maxabeam's lamp operating voltage is around 10V, while the Hg lamps operating voltage is 20 – 25V.

Looking at the AE Light website there are two low voltage DC ballast for XSA lamps. One is 30 – 70W, which I guess is the one you're using. The other is 75 – 180W so if you used that you could run the lamp at a higher wattage.

Just a thought, mercury short-arc lamps don't require ignition voltages anywhere near as high as XSA lamps. The ignition voltage of the lamp you're using is specified at 850V, so you could potentially get away with using a smaller igniter with a lower ignition voltage, although you'd probably lose the hot restrike.

(can I post little movies???)
You can't post videos directly on the forums, but you can host them on a number of free video hosting services, although many of them use an embedded flash player which is the devil. The only ones I can think of at the moment are Google Video and YouTube.

Looking at the pictures of the Maxabeam and Thor monster reflectors while operating through the welding filters there are noticeable dark fringes. Is this due to imperfections in the shape of the reflector?

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

That Guy,

The voltage-rang of MB is suitable for use with Hg-arc, but at startup the arc-voltage is higher than when hot. BTW the MB-arc lamp is rated at 14 volts, if indeed it gets +14 amps at startup it would vapourize the electrodes.

Can it be that the +14 amps you mention are the current draw from the the input source??

Starting at high power ensures the lamp to ignite and warm up the electrodes faster, high power on MB is higher than the lamp can handle for longer periods: I'm not sure but my guess is it runs at aprox 90watts at high power, that is also the reason for MB to swich back to nominal a few secs after startup and aprox 17 secs after you switch to high power.

Indeed I'm using the 30-70watt ballast giving a max 85 watts.
Ofcource I wanted the 75-180watt ballast but that one is unavaiable, that is if you want less than 100 pieces (500 USD each!!)!!!!
They should mention that on their site!!!

Indeed the dark fringes you see are imperfections in the shape of the reflectors, but they are gone when you fotograph them at more than 200 yards: I was to close when i took the pic. The outer rim of the "Maxablaster"-reflector didn't even show, its much bigger than you see on the pic.

Laterr,

Ra

Last edited:

That_Guy

Enlightened

I'm pretty sure the figures are for lamp current. They are:
14A on start-up
9.8A on high
7A on normal
5A on low

This is from 1993 so perhaps the newer Maxabeams have different specs.