NovaTac EDC T and E Models CRACKED! Back Door/Easter egg found!

Lumenous

Newly Enlightened
Alright, I have cleaned up, revamped and beefed up my original post. Those of you that were copying it and saving it for their personal records may want to copy the new and improved version.

I'm wondering if I shouldn't change the title as well. Is that a bad idea?

Personally I think it's a good idea :thumbsup: One of the problems I often encounter when searching forums is the ability to search using related keywords. In this case a short and sweet title would go along way toward helping future 'searchers'.

How about Enable 120P Programing Functions in Novatac 120T and 120E?

Anyway, it's just an idea. :shrug:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I think it's a good idea :thumbsup: One of the problems I often encounter when searching forums is the ability to search using related keywords. In this case a short and sweet title would go along way toward helping future 'searchers'.

How about Enable 120P Programing Functions in Novatac 120T and 120E?

Anyway, it's just an idea. :shrug:

The only reason I hesitate to rename it, is that I don't want people who have read it before to have trouble re-finding it.

I agree that your title is better than my original one, but since this is also valuable information for P model owners, I wanted to come up with something more generic rather than singling out the T and E models. I'm concerned that if I make the title specific to T and E models that perhaps P model owners won't even bother reading it.

I was thinking maybe something like this:

NovaTac EDC - Undocumented Features Discovered
or
NovaTac EDC - The Missing Manual

Opinions? Ideas?

Thanks

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest removing the word "CRACKED" from the title.

I agree, as it turns out, it's not really a Crack at all. We simply discovered, presumably, how the flashlight UI was actually intended to work. (i.e. turn on customization mode, set your settings, turn off customization mode to prevent your settings from being changed inadvertently, re-enable customization mode to made further changes, and so on)

It is unclear whether NovaTac was dishonest with it's customers and tried to hide this functionality or whether they just didn't know it existed. I'm leaning toward ignorance as if they had known about it, I presume they could have just removed it. Who knows.

It's unfortunate that it took such a long time for NovaTac EDC owners to get the real scoop on how the light they paid for actually works.

The Sun

Enlightened
THANKS AGAIN!!!

STA73378.jpg

streetmaster

Enlightened
Isn't it amazing how many things your light can do?

Words can't express how much I love my NovaTac 120E/P.

Now I'm even MORE anxious to get my Storm.

It's MY light and I want it NOW! :crackup:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is some info on the brightness issue discussed earlier. At this point there is probably not much doubt about that issue. That is after reprogramming an E or T model they do not lose the highest level. But for anyone who had any nagging doubts I think this will make it certain. I got my E or EDC model today (with a tactical tail switch). It was not programmable like a P model until I did the 250 click LLCoolBeans found. I first compared it side by side with my P model Novatac on high and noted it was just a little brighter. I got out the Light Meter and measured it at an exact distance of 33" and at 20" from the light meter. I measured the battery voltage also. I recorded the numbers. I then did the reprogramming to a P model. I made sure I had the exact same battery voltage to within 0.01 volts. It was identical. I checked again on the light meter with the reprogrammed light and I got identical numbers at 33" and 20" so I will say it conclusively does NOT lose the high level or resort to an 85 lumen light. Woohoo! I also put it side by side with my P model again and noted it was still just a little brighter looking. Nice tint too. I didn't know when I bought this light a few days ago I was going to get a P model :)
Thanks again LLCoolBeans !

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick note on option 4 - I've usually preferred to have force settings turned off. It seems in some cases having it off has caused problems with reprogramming the E and T models but with the light I've got I haven't had any problem with it off. I've changed everything from the original EDC model settings and everything is working as it should for a P model.

BTW - streetmaster thanks for the suggestion of setting the light bezel down on a desk to try the ~ 250 clicks - that was easier that way.

streetmaster

Enlightened
BTW - streetmaster thanks for the suggestion of setting the light bezel down on a desk to try the ~ 250 clicks - that was easier that way.

:grin2: You're very welcome. That's the ONLY way I could do it. I tried so many times the "normal" way, my thumb/hand kept cramping up by 130 clicks! I was so ready to give up. But this way I can get to the 250 the first try almost every time.

I also have force mode disabled. I enjoy the light much better this way. I haven't had any problems with mine either, and I've tinkered with just about everything.

I really like the simple momentary too. I love it... this light does everything (well, almost :devil:)

The only thing better than a NovaTac is... TWO NovaTacs!! And I have a black Storm on pre-order. :D

Kamakazikev24

Enlightened
So do you the 4 levels of the 120p or just able to programe the 3 levels of the E and T version?
Also can you get a flat tail switch for the E And T versions so that they will tail stand?

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
So do you the 4 levels of the 120p or just able to programe the 3 levels of the E and T version?
Also can you get a flat tail switch for the E And T versions so that they will tail stand?

You can get the flat tail switch from Lighthound

streetmaster

Enlightened

You get all the 4 slots on both the T and E. Last I remember, the T and E had 4 modes. Three brightness settings and Tactical or Emergency strobe.

And like tx101 said, LightHound sells the flat tail caps. I gotta get me one of those. I like the accessibility if the extended button, but you gotta love a "do-all" light that can tailstand too.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a quick note on option 4 - I've usually preferred to have force settings turned off. It seems in some cases having it off has caused problems with reprogramming the E and T models but with the light I've got I haven't had any problem with it off. I've changed everything from the original EDC model settings and everything is working as it should for a P model.

I guess I should have been clearer about this, I apologize for any confusion.

Having Option 4 disabled does not cause problems with programming, per say. Just that if you are not used to Option 4 being disabled, you are likely to get confused when programming your light (like me). If you are used to a disabled Option 4, by all means leave it disabled.

When I entered the back door for the first time and enabled Option 9, somehow Option 4 got disabled inadvertently. So, when I went to try and program the light, I thought something really strange was happening. As it turns out, it was just that Option 4 was disabled.

So, the reason I have the note about Option 4, is just in case it got inadvertently turned off for anyone else.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow CoolBeans made the CNN news ! Link

Okay way off topic except it just struck me funny that CoolBeans was on the CNN home page this morning in a roundabout way.... A dog drove a car into CoolBeans coffee shop :crackup:

streetmaster - do you know for sure the new NT's like the Storm are using the same control circuit? I'm wondering if they will also be reprogrammable? I see some have only 2 modes don't they? However I see they also mention that they can be 'customized' from the NT web site.

streetmaster

Enlightened
streetmaster - do you know for sure the new NT's like the Storm are using the same control circuit? I'm wondering if they will also be reprogrammable? I see some have only 2 modes don't they? However I see they also mention that they can be 'customized' from the NT web site.

I'm hoping that they haven't changed anything. I've tried several times to get any bit of info from NovaTac about the new lights, by they won't tell. And no, I haven't mentioned the backdoor, that would be stupid. They just say that their new site will be up some time in January, and will have all the details about the new models. I started a thread about the new site a few days ago hoping that someone might know something and come forward, but no luck so far. I hope they don't notice that we're unlocking our E's and T's and decide to disable this on the new ones.:ohgeez: