Ohlight M20s-R5 or Fenix?

d7e7r7

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking at purchasing a new EDC light and can't decide between this light and the Fenix PD32 and the Fenix TK15...
Can anyone here that has both lights advise me as to which they prefer and why?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking at purchasing a new EDC light and can't decide between this light and the Fenix PD32 and the Fenix TK15...
Can anyone here that has both lights advise me as to which they prefer and why?

The only EDC style light mentioned is the Fenix PD 32. The other 2 lights are not EDC type because of the larger head. They should all be good lights. :welcome:

Mowgli25

Newly Enlightened
I just checked out the pd32 today and reall likely it. Ive been edc the surefire 6px pro and it is small with a lot more modes. The only thing I worry about is how that front switch will wear over time. Also check out the streamlight strion for a good small light

Soda

Newly Enlightened
The Olight M20s r5 has PWM, and apparently its pretty noticible.

weidmark

Newly Enlightened
I just got the Fenix LD10 and Fenix PD32. I am very happy with both. I am currently using my LD10 as a EDC however i think the PD32 is small enough to EDC as well. The PD32 is also much brighter which is great.

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is PWM and how is a bad?
Does the Fenix PD32/TK15 have PWM?

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316080-PWM-What-is-it-How-does-it-work-and-how-to-detect-it.

P
WM is a rapid on/off switching of the LED that produces a slight strobe effect. If you shine a light with noticeable PWM at a fan blade in motion, you can sort of count the blades. PWM bothers me when I am walking and looking down at the pavement. Other people do not notice or care about the effects of it.

d7e7r7

Newly Enlightened
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?316080-PWM-What-is-it-How-does-it-work-and-how-to-detect-it.

P
WM is a rapid on/off switching of the LED that produces a slight strobe effect. If you shine a light with noticeable PWM at a fan blade in motion, you can sort of count the blades. PWM bothers me when I am walking and looking down at the pavement. Other people do not notice or care about the effects of it.

Thanks for the link and description...

One guy in an M20s thread even exchanged his M20s for a different version (M20) beacause the PWM was so bad but another guy couldn't even see the PWM and is considering getting 2 more M20s's for his wife and child.... so I have to wonder how bad the PWM is?

Do the Fenix's not suffer from PWM?

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the link and description...

One guy in an M20s thread even exchanged his M20s for a different version (M20) beacause the PWM was so bad but another guy couldn't even see the PWM and is considering getting 2 more M20s's for his wife and child.... so I have to wonder how bad the PWM is?

Do the Fenix's not suffer from PWM?

My M20 (twist head mode switching) does not show signs of PWM. My M20s R5 model and M30 (both side switch models) show PWM alot. I don't know if the newer M20s XML shows signs of PWM. I have asked people in other threads who own the M20s XML if they see the PWM present on that model and no one gives an answer. When I first got my M20s & M30 I liked them alot and didn't know what PWM was. Later I purchased lights that were current controlled instead of PWM, I figured it out. I hardly ever carry those 2 Olights any more in favor of other lights. A lot of lights have noticeable PWM. Some lights are PWM controlled and it is not noticeable because the rapid on/off switching time of the LED is too fast for the eye to see.

To answer your question, I believe you will not see signs of PWM with Fenix lights. I own Fenix lights, but not the model you ask about. The Olight M20 ( non side switch ) should also be fine. I own one.
I would recommend getting a light with no visual signs of PWM. Most of Selfbuilts reviews mention if it was detectable to him during his testing.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-XP-G-R5)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-and-more!