Oj bit the big one

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Aren't their studies in the USA linking participation in religion with a lower recidivism rate?
I honestly don't know about such studies. But wouldn't surprise me if it was true. (Assuming we're talking about those who genuinely look for God behind prison bars vs. those trying to increase their chances of parole because they'll soon be in front of the Parole Board.)

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Started out as a good and timely topic for the Cafe.
Can't blame Raggie.

SWF

Newly Enlightened
I consider myself a Malkoff man, but I probably carry the Zebralight SC64 more than any other light. I enjoy some of the Surefires, especially the Outdoorsman series. Their low light output and highly focused beam is perfect for long nighttime walks on woodland trails, which my job demands on a regular basis. With an Outdoorsman in my hand, an SC 64 in my pocket, a Malkoff Houndog and a supply of batteries in my shoulder bag, I can go all night if I have to.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I consider myself a Malkoff man, but I probably carry the Zebralight SC64 more than any other light. I enjoy some of the Surefires, especially the Outdoorsman series. Their low light output and highly focused beam is perfect for long nighttime walks on woodland trails, which my job demands on a regular basis. With an Outdoorsman in my hand, an SC 64 in my pocket, a Malkoff Houndog and a supply of batteries in my shoulder bag, I can go all night if I have to.
I think you posted this in the wrong topic.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm less than satisfied with my Malkoff MagLite upgrade but very pleased with the same drop-in in my Surefire 9P. I much prefer it over say the Lumens Factory one I originally had.

iacchus

Enlightened
It was later in my flashlight days that I came to truly understand and appreciate the Outdoorsman series. I do wish I'd had the realization earlier.
Agreed on the Malkoff bit, for sure.

SWF

Newly Enlightened
It was later in my flashlight days that I came to truly understand and appreciate the Outdoorsman series. I do wish I'd had the realization earlier.
Agreed on the Malkoff bit, for sure.
The Outdoorsman lights are perfect for situations in which you want to preserve your night vision. Then when you need to really light up the night, break out a Wildcat or a Hound Dog!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I honestly don't know about such studies. But wouldn't surprise me if it was true. (Assuming we're talking about those who genuinely look for God behind prison bars vs. those trying to increase their chances of parole because they'll soon be in front of the Parole Board.)
When I was in high school they had what they called in school suspension. It was not solitary but involved a few people sitting in their own cubicle all day. You weren't allowed to talk to anybody. They gave you school work to do. I went there once for 3 days. I did my time and made the best of it. Most did. If you messed up they added time. Most didn't want that.

Some kids went there and stayed, and stayed and stayed. They'd get out and not long after went right back.

Back then there were a bunch of screw ups, myself included. Yet what shocked me was the number of kids who weren't even trying not to get caught. Man, I did my best to walk right up to the line but not cross it. Or at least do it when nobody was looking. But those kids would just act like more of that in school suspension was no big deal. I've never understood that. I used to tell my kids growing up "I don't expect you to be perfect citizens but what I do expect you to do is try not to get caught".

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't that what the Michigan school shooters mom texted him after he was found researching ammunition in class? "Learn to not get caught."

Edit:

Yep. Here you go…

IMG_5267.jpeg

From here:

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im autistic as some know i dont think they knew it when i was a kid id get in trouble for something stupid in school like talking at wrong time etc etc teacher would give me note to take to principal ,, lol id throw note away and just go home. but the worse was when i just decided to go home in kindergarten i didnt do nothing wrong just idnt wanna be in school lol...i kind of recall it .im sure paying for it now

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Isn't that what the Michigan school shooters mom texted him after he was found researching ammunition in class? "Learn to not get caught."

Edit:

Yep. Here you go…

View attachment 61384
From here:
I'm talking normal kid stuff like writing in fresh concrete or kissing a girl in the hallway at school.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was in high school they had what they called in school suspension. It was not solitary but involved a few people sitting in their own cubicle all day. You weren't allowed to talk to anybody. They gave you school work to do. I went there once for 3 days. I did my time and made the best of it. Most did. If you messed up they added time. Most didn't want that.

Some kids went there and stayed, and stayed and stayed. They'd get out and not long after went right back.
That was called ISS or ALC when I was in Jr. High. I ended up spending a large part of my 9th grade year in it. It had a detrimental effect on me.

I don't know how sitting in an undersized desk with wood walls atached on 3 sides in an unlit shop room and having a sadist insult you on an hourly basis is supposed to help you.

I started robbing houses after school and was in trouble with the law over knife crime before that calender year was up.

I would have rather been in prison than that at least you can do pretty much anything you want in prison. Even being locked in a SHU or ISO isn't so bad because you can get up and walk around, guards generally don't call you insults, and you can talk as much as you like and as loudly too.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm talking normal kid stuff like writing in fresh concrete or kissing a girl in the hallway at school.
I'm just asking who's going to make the designation that it's just "minor stuff" when you tell any kid to learn to just not get caught? Obviously, his mom thought it was okay to tell her son that before he went on his rampage.

What child, seriously, when you give them the "learn not to get caught" free reign, will suddenly pipe up right before they start pulling the trigger and say, "Yeah, this probably wasn't what mom was talking about when she told me to learn not to get caught?"

:unsure:

iacchus

Enlightened
learning not to get caught is an important point of making good choices.
Those in authority will not always be on the right side of things, and folks should have a toolset to dig into when faced with such.

Learning how not to get caught does not a proper upbringing unmake.
The rampage kid had a whole lot of terrible parenting going on. Context matters.