• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Okluma TinyDC

nbp

Flashaholic
Sounds like a similar setup to what Mac was using. Does anyone know if it was the same board? I cannot remember anymore.

Beamshots look good. Nice big floody hotspot, just like I like it. Yay optics! Haha

gunga

Flashaholic
Note that they both use 8 chips but Mac used older ones with less output.

I believe the controller chip is the ATtiny13 (brain chip). The 8x 7135 chips are linear regulators and control the max current (more chips = more current ).

You can get lots of funky programming in that ATtiny13 if you know how.

Father Azmodius

Enlightened
Don't say you'll do a copper version. I'm on a copper kick but shouldn't buy anything until I know whether or not we (The CWA) will have a new contract, be working under the old one, or be on strike. Sadly I'll have to put my flashlight purchase in the hands of the negotiating team with that phone company that starts with a V

okluma

Enlightened
Certainly ... FYI, "4th Star Modes" ( with moonlight - ML / L / M / H ) might be more a more popular setting around here ;)

Alright, this light now comes with 4 modes with memory. ML / L / M / H. The current estimates on those modes are 50mA, 166mA, 475mA, and 2200mA respectively. I can update the firmware on the chip, so if you'd like to do something different just let know when you order the light. Within reason, most customization to the firmware will be free. I'll take new beamshots later tonight since I've added a new mode and dropped the output on high a bit.

okluma

Enlightened
Moonlight needs to be a lot lower. Think 10mA. Maybe less. Or just call it low.

Ok. I want moonlight, and it sounds like everyone else does too. Dropping it down should not be an issue. I'll see what I can do, and update the original post accordingly.

nbp

Flashaholic
Something like .2 lm, to me, is a nice moonlight, IMO. But I'm not super fussy. Then maybe 10, 75, 300. Just rough estimates. That's about where my Tri EDC is and it's nice.

Btw, is Okluma TinyDC the official name? Any significance to TinyDC? My brain is cooked this week so if it's obvious, forgive me. :duck:

okluma

Enlightened
Something like .2 lm, to me, is a nice moonlight, IMO. But I'm not super fussy. Then maybe 10, 75, 300. Just rough estimates. That's about where my Tri EDC is and it's nice.

Btw, is Okluma TinyDC the official name? Any significance to TinyDC? My brain is cooked this week so if it's obvious, forgive me. :duck:

I'll do my best to get the current levels right.

Okluma is the name of my company, and TinyDC is the name of the light. TinyDC is a play on words (or sounds?), with the y also making an E sound. So if you say with a slight emphasis on the y, it sounds like "TinyEDC". It's silly I know but when I thought of it, it made me chuckle a little.

nbp

Flashaholic
Nah, it's not silly, it's just fine. ;) I was simply curious.

You should see some of the stupid names people give to other flashlights! Especially those who do not give much thought to how they will sound to native language speakers. Not everything translates!

gunga

Flashaholic
Some approximates with

1 LED
OTF, Nichia 219A

4 mA = 0.1 lumens
8 mA = 2-3
80 mA = 22
300 mA = 80
1200 mA = 240

These were my last levels for a haiku build.

okluma

Enlightened
Or maybe Oklahoma Lumen? Would make sense since he's located in OKC, OK. Or maybe it's pronounced Oh-kla-lu-ma.

Initially it was OKLumen. I wanted some combination of Oklahoma and lumen. One of my friends suggested Okluma. I liked that because it reminded me of Okuma, the company that makes lathes and mills. We think it's pronounced "Oh-klu-ma", but my wife likes "Oh-Kay-Luma". Who knows? Again, it makes me laugh a little.

The current for the different modes is fixed. We're going with 2mA / 30mA / 180mA / 1300mA. We've got a real moonlight mode now. I'll update the original post accordingly.