Old style Novatac with new circuit

MikeG1P315

Newly Enlightened
just received my new 120p from your corner store, sn 31059.

it has the positive contact spring.

it works flawlessly, even on .08 lumens.

fit and finish are superb, right up there with my old 85p. color matching is not great. the head and tube are very light grey (by far my favorite color so far), but the tail cap is old school novatac dark dark natural/grey. i really like the light pewter color, i wish the tail matched.

it has different knurling than my 85p, but it is grippier, so i like it better.

the bezel will not budge, even with the mousepad trick. :(

eljuez

Newly Enlightened
I'm in the same boat as Mike. I recently received a late model 120T from the same source and mine has excellent fit and finish and operates flawlessly.

streetmaster

Enlightened
I'm in the same boat as Mike. I recently received a late model 120T from the same source and mine has excellent fit and finish and operates flawlessly.

Good news indeed. Except for not being able to get the bezel off.

Thanks guys for the updates on the latest run of NovaTacs.

brucec

Enlightened
Another new black 120p from yourcornerstore, #30690. There are differences with the old style as mentioned by other posters, but not much difference in quality in my opinion. Soldering looks good, etching is good, reflector is not wavy, knurling is more aggressive (kind of like Nitecore's slightly pyramid style), no flickering or whine at all on any modes.

Polar Light

Newly Enlightened

Sounds good. I hope my nonfunctional was just exception.
I do like my Novatacs and I hope my replacemet arrives in perfect condition. I will post pics when it arrives.

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered one (120E) from Botach two days ago. I hope I win the lottery and get one with a low serial number. They also have the best price for this model on the web ($89.95).

streetmaster

Enlightened
I just ordered one (120E) from Botach two days ago. I hope I win the lottery and get one with a low serial number. They also have the best price for this model on the web ($89.95).
That's where I got my 120E a few weeks ago. Low serial and lowest price. Let us know what you get.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I posted in another thread some time back that my new Novatac 1020P in the with 30K serial was all messed up. The new tailcap design is also crap and the manufacturing looks like it cannot meet the tollerances required by the new design. It Sucks... I'm happy I have couple of good ones... but now I'm really hoping the Ra lights can deliver reliability.

The Sun

Enlightened
i have two 120T's one olive with 308XX serial and one black 224XX serial. both have springs for positive contact, same engraving, good sodering, and no wavy reflectors. the olive's HA is not as glossy as the black's, but they both perform fine as far as i can tell. i have had them both for about three months. the olive with the high serial came directly from novatac as a demo light (so no "fake" issues). i will post some pictures soon... they are both "T's" the olive just has the flat tailcap.

101_4221.jpg

101_4220.jpg

101_4227.jpg

101_4228.jpg

101_4226.jpg

101_4224.jpg

101_4225.jpg

101_4237.jpg

101_4236.jpg

Last edited:

Imworking

Newly Enlightened
Woo hoo! Got my EDC 120 today from Botach Tactical, serial# 14401. Old style positive contact and flawless except for some minor finish variations. There is a speck of dust (1) in the reflector but that's because I unscrewed the bezel ring to make sure I can get a GITD O-ring in there. Does anyone know where to get a GITD button for these lights?

Polar Light

Newly Enlightened
I got my replacement from Lighthound. This one works and looks like this:

newNT.jpg

It is 30k series and has clean soldering. The knurling is more agressive than my other pewter Novatacs. I like it. The anodizing has matte finish. Hopefully it is as strong as previous ones.

Cheers
PL

EDIT: I was looking my previous pictures and noticed totally different font on engraving at non working one. Strange

Last edited:

Robertesq1

Newly Enlightened
Got my 120T from Botach serial no 310XX has new spring. fit and finish are top notch function is top-notch and very bright....

The Sun

Enlightened
just to follow up, actually the HAIII on the more recent models seams to be stronger than the first runs. i just got one 11K serial, and i've noticed some wear on it, and there's no wear at all on the 30K that i pocket everyday, also no flicker in the 30K (the 11K flickers in the lowest mode occasionally), and the 30K is brighter at every level except the lowest. i also have a 20K series and it has no flicker either, but it is dimmer in all modes than both the others.

there are definitely noticable differences between all three. theres even machining differences between the first run, and the rest (20K and 30K are the same). i have another first run light coming soon i should get it on the 4th of Dec. (from botach, i called them to make sure i was getting a low serial, they were very helpful!!!:twothumbs ) so i'll post again and let you know what i find.

anyone else have multiple NT's that have discovered differences? like the lip on the front and back of the battery tube, or the "rubber baby bumper" (as henry calls it in the "clicky" thread) on the tailcap, etc.

and IMO i think that the springs added to both ends is a good thing, this ensures constant battery connection.

Last edited:

streetmaster

Enlightened
i have another first run light coming soon i should get it on the 4th of Dec. (from botach, i called them to make sure i was getting a low serial, they were very helpful!!!:twothumbs ) so i'll post again and let you know what i find.

I would like to know how they can tell what the serial is if it's not printed on the outside of the sealed package? I hope they're not opening them.

The Sun

Enlightened
I would like to know how they can tell what the serial is if it's not printed on the outside of the sealed package? I hope they're not opening them.

they can't tell the serial but i explained to them how you can tell the difference between older and newer models without the serial. all of the newer models i have are only labeled "NovaTac" on one side of the body and the serial on the other, the older first (and maybe second) runs are labeled "NovaTac EDC 120P/T/or E" and they have different labeling on the tailcap as well. the newer models have the model number on the tail, and the older models don't, they just say www.novatac.com, and "made in the U.S.A." so i had them pick out two of the older labeled one's and ship them to me. :D

old left, new right
100_4928.jpg

Last edited:

streetmaster

Enlightened
they can't tell the serial but i explained to them how you can tell the difference between older and newer models without the serial. all of the newer models i have are only labeled "NovaTac" on one side of the body and the serial on the other, the older first (and maybe second) runs are labeled "NovaTac EDC 120P/T/or E" and they have different labeling on the tailcap as well. the newer models have the model number on the tail, and the older models don't, they just say www.novatac.com, and "made in the U.S.A." so i had them pick out two of the older labeled one's and ship them to me. :D

Sweet, good things to know. I wonder how many older ones they have left.

The Sun

Enlightened
Sweet, good things to know. I wonder how many older ones they have left.

i don't know when i told jeff from botach all that he said "yes our 120T's say "NovaTac EDC 120T" on them" kinda like all the 120T's they had said that. but don't quote me on that. i would call them first if you are gonna order one, they outta know what you are talkin about since i already went through it with them. i emailed the "pre-sale" address on their site and talked to jeff, then i ordered with him on the phone and he already had the lights in his hand so he just pulled the order right off the computer and shipped them out. they were very very very helpful :twothumbs

cabbynate

Newly Enlightened
I just came from Botach's website and I see they have an option to get the 120T with the flat tail cap. I would bet these are the 3xxxxx lights. Also the prototype RA Clicky and the production model have the same contacts as the Twisty. Springs on each end. I think Novatac has mimicked this but did not add the flat surface contact for the battery as that surly would have added to the manufacture cost.

Last edited:

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
the older first (and maybe second) runs are labeled "NovaTac EDC 120P/T/or E"

Just had a look at my 120T, serial 21625 and it has "Novatac" engraved
on one side and the serial on the other.

@Streetmaster, I betcha want one of these .....

DSC00596.jpg

Look NO serial number or engraving :nana: