Old style Novatac with new circuit

sappyg

Enlightened
good...... i found this thread again.
my NT 120T serial #11668 arrived from botach. main body says 120P. tailcap says 120T. the body has the early knurling and pewter finish. the battery tub and switch have 30,000 series knurling "olive drab" color. the color matches quite nicely. there is no early style 3 nipples in the main body. this rascel has the later spring design and does'nt look as funky as the ones posted here. it's a different color spring as well.
i think NT is assembling lights from old and new inventory. i think there is a possibilty that some of these "lots" are finding there way to distributors in one off runs. this is kinda like ford changing brake disc vendors in the same model/ year run but still the same car. this happens more than anyone truly knows.
this is leading me to speculate that we may be seeing more offshore outsourcing or a complete offshore outsourcing of NT parts only to be assembled in the US if at all. can't blame NT for trying to stay competitive but their product looks to be in a transition. if this is the case my 120T/P is deffinately one of those. my light is rock solid so no complaints here.
lighthound is a stand up company and i like the fact that they took care of the OP. way to go lighthound:thumbsup:
i'm an NT fan but if they start dumping junk on us i'm gonna call BS. matter of fact i'm just looking for an excuse to get a RA clickey.
i know what you're thinking.... did he fire 5 or 6 times?... you have to ask yourself.... do you feeel lucky punk?.... well.... do you?... go ahead... make my day!

Daniel_sk

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't found anyone mentioning this - I have a Novatac 120E (30780SN) and the long (signal) spring seems like welded to the head part. I can't get it off. Is this normal? What in case I want to buy a 17670 and I'll have to use a longer spring?...

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just wish I could get rid of the uneven output on low. :(

Novatac doesn't reply to emails, I've sent them two with no reply.

deewy

Newly Enlightened
Have already received my NovaTac 120T Pewter. I bought it new of Ebay, the serial number is 30886. It says on the side just NovaTac and on the other side is the serial number.

I have instantly fallen in love with this light. Further more the light works light charm. No flickering issues on a very low mode. Despite me having received the 3xxxx light series, It still does have the 3 pins in a head - how come? Early editions of these 3xxxx lights or am I just lucky?

Anyways, I have already replaced my NiteCore Extreme with this new light, it will do much better job for my duty in terms of reliability and quick one hand access to a tactical functions such as strobe etc.

Once again I love it, I Love it, I love it :kiss::p:kiss:

EEG

Newly Enlightened
My markings on the body are the same as yours. (#30131)

Mines from Botach and I got the flat tailcap and it has the 120T on it. I have springs at both locations.

I am very happy with mine as well. The only thing that bothers me is the tail cap acts up every now and then. I put alcohol in the little holes when I did the 250 click to make it a 120P. That helps but I think I may have to go a little further than that. I'll have to do it in less tham 2 minutes or it's back to the 250 clicks.

vic303

Enlightened
I got a lightly used 85T (31xxx) and it is pretty well flawless as far as I can tell. Knurling is well done, black color is even, etching is tidy though not very bright. LED is centered, reflector unmarred, and it has a spring on both ends (plus the big coil spring the battery rides in). I have no problems with flicker/PWM on any level. AFAIK, it was bought new from Lighthound in 12/08.

Masque

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to add here for people turned off by the initial posts on the 3X series, as it seems we're now into the fourth generation (non-serialized :( ), I have now had a chance to really examine the unserialized generation and... I'm actually a little jealous. My 1X and 2X have far less grippy knurling - sorry, "more pocket-friendly knurling!" - and the anodizing on the new pewter models I've touched has been fantastic. After sending a couple of 2X models back for ano issues, this is a welcome change. I'm glad I skipped the 3X series, and though I bemoan the loss of serial numbers, this later (4X?) generation looks like it could be a winner.

I have no idea about the overseas-made models, of course. All comments apply only to USA-made NovaTacs.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 2 NT one is serial number 33XXX its a 120E and it doesnt say this anywhere on the body, it has the positive spring but not the shabby etching and the knurling is super tough and even HAIII.

My other NT doesnt have a serial number and says 120E on one side of the body groove and NovaTac on the other, the only probelm is the squint etching on the tailcap, also has the spring in the head.

They both work fine

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased an 85 T from Lighthound. It is 31XXX model, "NovaTac" on one body tube flat, and the serial number on the other. Black HA seems evenly and well applied. The knurling on the main portion of the body tube and the tailcap is very grippy, but not sharp, while the knurling on the narrower portion of the body tube is smoother, which actually makes for a nice feel. The beam profile is great, the LED centered, the reflector has no waves or rings, and the switch seems to work fine.

The only problem I have, if you can call it that, is that the tailcap absolutely positively will not come off. Ain't gonna happen. If I really wanted to use the clip, this would get me pretty torqued, but I think putting a clip on this thing would ruin the great feel it has, so it's going clipless.

This has quickly become my favorite EDC light; my only concern being that the protruding button might activiate the light in my pocket.

I was actually thinking about ordering a 120P to get four levels, maybe .3 and 2 and 30 and then 120, and no strobe, the pewter HA, and a flush tailcap which would avoid the pocket turn-on issue, but I think with the concerns that various people have had with some of the later model NovaTacs, I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead and look to get a Ra EDC Executive.