Olight S1 Baton Review

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tried with my K2 LFP 123A(3.2V LiFePO4) on max and it did shut off after being drained but I was still able to turn back on at a much reduced brightness(less than 80 lumens). Moonlight works too unlike with the Nitecore. K2 cell reads 2.75V when placed in XTAR VP2 charger(set to 3.2V).

Don't know if this happens with Olight cells.

andrewnewman

Enlightened
Figuring out how much runtime is left in a flashlight cell isn't always easy. The electronics typically favor consistent output with the longest possible runtime. *Some* lights attempt to formally characterize their low battery behavior (Zebralight, for instance) and *some* lights will pull every last amp from a cell with no user-visible behavior change until the cell is totally flat. Most lights fall somewhere in the middle in that as the battery reaches near depletion they will begin to dim or step down to a lower setting. Most single cell Olights in my experience behave this way. A lot of it has to do with battery chemistry, cell health and whether the battery is protected or not. I don't think the Olight has any detect logic to distinguish between a rechargeable 16340 and a CR123a primary.

I *think* you are seeing the following:
  • Your Nitecore protected cell is tripping the protection circuitry as the current under load (which is substantial on high with the S1) dips below 3V. Once tripped the cell has some "peace time" to recover and the unloaded voltage once the charger resets the protection board, the first reading will be well above 3V. Also, of note, if you are reading the voltage off of the charger's "smart" display make sure you are reading the cell voltage, not the charge voltage.
  • Your LFP cell (which has *much* lower capacity, btw, probably around 350mAH which can illuminate the S1 on high for about 15-18 minutes I would guess). It may have dropped below sensible voltage before it could accomodate a lower illumination level.
My experience with both the S10R and the S1 is that they will either trip the protection circuit (I get around 60 seconds low battery warning on the S10R) or step down if the battery isn't protected. My cells are generally well maintained IMR 16340s from AW (red label).

On either medium or high the battery lifespan won't be enormously good. You may just get used to keeping a handful of batteries (or one rechargeable and some primaries) with you to avoid being stranded. If you find that your behavior regularly runs a battery all the way down, the safest thing to do (other than changing your behavior :0) would be to continue to use protected RCR cells, expect them to trip a lot and replace them frequently (~once a year). Of course maybe your typical flashlight use would benefit from a small 18650-based battery.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
The S1 is my first Olight and also my first 16340 based light. I rarely run cells down until they are depleted or their protection trips, but I was caught off guard when the cell got depleted so quickly on max. Was having a bit too much fun with the light and I also guess that being used to Zebralights battery capacity indicator made me careless. :p

Thanks a lot for the explanation. You are right about my behavior part. I need to be more careful and remember to charge the cell after using it for a bit. I guess this is why Olight recommends using protected cells.

Fortunately, I do have an 18650 based light, which is the Zebraight H600w MKII headlamp(using an Eagletac 3400mAh) which impresses me with its excellent runtimes. I detach it from the headband and edc it sometimes. :)

recDNA

Flashaholic
So this light has no built in battery protection and measly 1.5 amp draw trips protection circuit of cells? I've run protected AW on 1.5 amps down to 3 volts in other lights (v11r)(tc-r2) and protection never kicked in. I don't see why it would. 1.5 amps should not pull 3.7 volts down below 2.5 needed to trip low voltage protection.

xyadam

Newly Enlightened
I also ordered the Olight S1 in rose gold version for my gf for christmas, she will love it :)
I heared some feedback, that this flashlight eats the battery very fast, is that the case with you guys? I have very good runtimes with my Nitecore RCR123.

Since this is a review topic, I post my review here too, so you can see this light in action! It is mainly aimed for casuals, this time no measurements included.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
So this light has no built in battery protection and measly 1.5 amp draw trips protection circuit of cells? I've run protected AW on 1.5 amps down to 3 volts in other lights (v11r)(tc-r2) and protection never kicked in. I don't see why it would. 1.5 amps should not pull 3.7 volts down below 2.5 needed to trip low voltage protection.

I not sure, but could be a bug in the driver.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also ordered the Olight S1 in rose gold version for my gf for christmas, she will love it :)
I heared some feedback, that this flashlight eats the battery very fast, is that the case with you guys? I have very good runtimes with my Nitecore RCR123.

Since this is a review topic, I post my review here too, so you can see this light in action! It is mainly aimed for casuals, this time no measurements included.

It eats real fast on turbo. Before you realize the cell is at 3.7+ volts. Not surprising considering the low capacity of rcr123s.

recDNA

Flashaholic
No electronic lockout but how about partially unscrewing. Will that lock it out?

Are high and turbo the same thing? Both have been mentioned.

Last edited:

Dimethyl

Newly Enlightened
No electronic lockout but how about partially unscrewing. Will that lock it out?
The regular S1 (aluminum) has anodized threads, so, yes. Not sure about the other variants.

Are high and turbo the same thing? Both have been mentioned.
Same thing. If you want brighter, perhaps check out its bigger brother, the S2. It's 1x18650 and has a 950 lumen turbo mode (for 2 minutes).

recDNA

Flashaholic
I was going to buy the brass model due to the neutral led however it sounds as though it may be impossible to lock out. With a side switch that could easily but unintentionally be activated by bumping into something I would absolutely want to be able to lock it out for safety sake.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the rose gold and no it does not lock out because the threads are not anodized. The copper threads like the rest of the body are pvd coated.