Olight S1 Baton Review

TA_ls1

Enlightened
1. I agree, neutral and warm ALL THE LIGHTS!
2. A screw on clip in the bezel down configuration would make me feel comfortable using the clip
3. I thought the S1 button was recessed past the button bezel ring(not the boot/cover)?
4. This one is personal preference. I hate electronic lockout, and avoid most lights with it.
5. Would be nice.
6. I think their current UI with moonlight, turbo, and one memorized L-M-H from off is nearly perfect. It's in the top three UI's for EDC IMO right up there with Zebralight's UI and rotary.
7. S1=TIR, S10=Reflector.

With all that said it's hard to complain when the aluminum model can be had for $26.

Where can one find the aluminum one for $26?

Psode27

Newly Enlightened
Just got mine today, partially because of your review! Thanks! I'm not a light guru (though I'm getting smarter), and this is a very simple and capable light great for EDC. Big lights are sweet, but a litte bright light (every)where you need it is far superior!

If I found another for 26$ i'd buy a second one. I'm all ears!

Last edited:

blub

Enlightened
I got mine on Saturday, put a fresh AW RCR123 750mah battery in and played with it saturday night testing the turbo for not more than ten seconds at a time and a little more last night. Today at work I went to show someone how bright it was and it shut off after two seconds and wouldn't come back on until I took the battery out and put it back in and did it a few more times. Today I came home and put a fresh battery in, turned it on high, it stepped down and it lasted 33 minutes before it shut off and it wouldn't come back on until I took the battery out and put it back in. Is this all I can expect? It's not even close to the 1 hour run times I've been reading about.

Last edited:

tops2

Enlightened
I've only done runtime test on medium but I got about 244 minutes (4:04 hours) using my Olight RCR123 battery. It's close enough to the reviewers runtime with same battery. It's also close to the runtime using same Olight battery as listed on GoingGear's website. But I haven't tested on high mode. Also not sure what the runtime will be with your battery...

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine on Saturday, put a fresh AW RCR123 750mah battery in and played with it saturday night testing the turbo for not more than ten seconds at a time and a little more last night. Today at work I went to show someone how bright it was and it shut off after two seconds and wouldn't come back on until I took the battery out and put it back in and did it a few more times. Today I came home and put a fresh battery in, turned it on high, it stepped down and it lasted 33 minutes before it shut off and it wouldn't come back on until I took the battery out and put it back in. Is this all I can expect? It's not even close to the 1 hour run times I've been reading about.

Sorry for a stupid question: what do you mean "fresh"? I hope, it was charged to 4.2V ;)

Why am I asking such questions? My S1 Ti is in my possession from January. It has an original Olight 650 mAh battery inside. I have charged it once. Of course, I turn it on shortly -- to pass dark corridor, just to enjoy mode switching, but it is still running on max without a problem. Last time when I have checked the voltage it was 3.7V.

What am I doing wrong? :)

Last edited:

blub

Enlightened
Sorry for a stupid question: what do you mean "fresh"? I hope, it was charged to 4.2V ;)

Why am I asking such questions? My S1 Ti is in my possession from January. It has an original Olight 650 mAh battery inside. I have charged it once. Of course, I turn it on shortly -- to pass dark corridor, just to enjoy mode switching, but it is still running on max without a problem. Last time when I have checked the voltage it was 3.7V.

What am I doing wrong? :)

Brand new, fully charged, both of the batteries I used.

wensynch

Newly Enlightened
I feel like there's a lot of confusion as to the clip-on clips used by Olightz which I initially didn't prefer for the same reasons, it just felt unsecure. As I Olight collection grew, the 2 new elements to these new style clips started to catch on, at least for me.

Like knives, these new clips are considered deep pocket, which is the little added loop on top so the clip and tool can sit lower and more hidden in pocket. The element that seems to bother people the most is the clip-on feature, where the light is attached by two prongs which clip around the light.. and will come right off if some caution isn't used.

I came to understand that the clip really needs to considered 2 mounting points: 1. Properly holding the clip by the clip, with or without the light attached, to attach to pocket and deep enough where upper loop secures the clip. 2. The light can now be removed/attached to clip attached deep pocket style.

I no longer have Olights slipping away from me.

d3cadent

Newly Enlightened
Is this all I can expect? It's not even close to the 1 hour run times I've been reading about.

I believe the really long runtimes are only possible using CR123, non-rechargeable batteries.

blub

Enlightened
I believe the really long runtimes are only possible using CR123, non-rechargeable batteries.

Oh, I'll put one in and see if I can run it down all the way but you don't get the 500 lumens with the primary batteries.

Edited: Okay, so I put an Energizer Lithium Photo in and it has been running for over 3 hrs 10 minutes, it is down pretty low now but at least it doesn't just shut off completely without warning, there is still usable light. I will use primaries when I need it to run for a long time or camping and RCRs for the wow factor or when I know I won't get stuck somewhere without light which is pretty much every day at work. Dang, I must have got that battery for free or I wouldn't have used it, I would have remembered paying $8 for a battery! I found out when I googled it that Energizer Lithium Photo batteries are almost $8 each, I could get another RCR 123 for that.

Last edited:

simonsi

Newly Enlightened
This is very good with no Cons.

It good in size that makes it easy to carry.
Powerful
Works well, awesome built quality.
Durable

About cons -
It is hard to find.

Mkduffer

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if OLight made a change to their programming, but unlike the OP, my S1 (which I've had for 3-4 months) does not remember moonlight mode. To me, it's not a problem, since moonlight is accessible from the off position with a long press.

Personally, I like the deep pocket clip in either orientation. I liked the lanyard and was using it with a quick release as a leash to prevent loss, however in the short time that I've owned the light, the string threaded through the tail cap has already frayed to the point of being unusable.

Since day one, I've used it with Xtar 16340 batteries. When I purchased the Xtar batteries, they were 2 for about $6 (free shipping) and rated at 650mAh. Xtar's current offering is 2 600mAh 16340's for $5.85 (still free shipping). I rarely use the turbo mode, but have from time to time and the light does get very warm in turbo. Have not experienced any of the issues with light shutting down. The low mode is more than sufficient for me to get my car in the wee hours of the morning and the mid mode is adequate for most other tasks that I perform. The main times that I use turbo/high mode is when something in the backyard goes bump in the night and I don't have a bigger light on hand.

I like the performance of the TIR, however mine does seem to pickup a lot of lint from my pockets. Also, no issues with the CW tint. I would prefer NW, but for me, not a deal breaker, since for my purposes, that level of critical color rendition isn't a big deal.

Mahalo

steve007

Newly Enlightened
I just ordered the S1 from Amazon, read all the cons and I do NOT feel they are deal breakers in any way. Could it be better? Yes indeed, but if you can live with the small shortcomings this little guy has to offer from an overall perspective then I do feel this little guy is a great addition to my family of lights.

DMS1970

Enlightened
I'm a huge fan. I'm really anticipating the S1A that is coming out soon. basically a cross between the S15 and the S1. Thinner but a little longer, but accepts AA primaries for backup. It may replace my S1s.

On the pocket clip, I find it awkward, as the light is short and a little chubby. I find it easier to just drop it in a pocket and not use the clip. I keep the clip on to orient the switch.

tops2

Enlightened
Hopefully you'll love it as much as I do.

I really should just use the S1 exclusively for a week just to "live" with it. Its still my EDC, but after trying out high CRI lights recently, I've barely used any of my other lights after I get home.

If they could put a Nichia or some other high CRI LED into the S1 (or the upcoming S1A), I'll be done!

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

The S1 was provided by GoingGear.com for review, on behalf of Olight.

Great review! Thanks for posting it. It´s a little off topic but, which model of Zebralight is this one, the second light left to right?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ill have my first S1 on Tuesday. So the protection circuits trip easy on 16340's eh? That is not cool. Gonna have to pick up a couple IMR's then.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I've been running my S1 (original version- any mode can be memorized) with a Nitecore 650 mAh and have never tripped the protection circuit even after prolonged use on high. Maybe it's a combination of slightly touchier protection boards and slightly higher draw between samples causing it to trip only for some people, leading to the conflicting reports?

As a side note, the waterproofing has worked brilliantly for me like every other aspect of the light. My S1 may even have went for a swim at the beach once in silty, salty water.... :p