Olight Smini

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Re: *new* Olight Smini

Looks like the new Olight 650mAh are capable of supporting the full burst duration on turbo. No massive step down visible.

tett

Newly Enlightened
Here is my first post!

Just got a new S mini and love it. Only thing I didn't like was that there was no convenient lanyard attachment and that the light did not come with a lanyard. I saw where some people attached a lanyard to the existing clip holes near the lens but to me the lanyard needs to be attached near or on the tail cap. Makes more sense and easier to handle.

So, I added a hole to the clip near the clip's end. Works great! Sorry I only have a Nitecore lanyard to use. I think Olight should consider this mod for future lights.

Be warned. The clip is very hard and carbide drills at slow speed are needed. Don't try this mod with regular drill bits.

Cheers,

tett

IMG_1281.jpg

firsttothescene

Enlightened
I now have 2 of the ss lights and both are noticeably different colors. One is darker grey like advertised but the other one is noticeably lighter colored. Also, the blue bezel and switch surround on one light is "splotchy" and missing the blue color in small spots :(

Deadbird

Newly Enlightened
I now have 2 of the ss lights and both are noticeably different colors. One is darker grey like advertised but the other one is noticeably lighter colored. Also, the blue bezel and switch surround on one light is "splotchy" and missing the blue color in small spots :(

While looking around at the various pictures available, I was concerned about just that. After receiving mine in the mail (after a brief winter weather related delay), I couldn't be happier. The PVD coating is even and rich. I picked mine up from over at BatteryJunction, where they show several product pictures, some showing more of a gun-metal hue, with others seeming closer to a silver/raw steel color. I hoped it to be the former, and I wasn't disappointed.

One thing to note is the PVD process itself. Much like the rainbow titanium, not one will be the same. While I'm very pleased with the coloration of mine, I should probably note that the blue bezel ring and ring around the push-button are more of a midnight blue than the typical cobalt blue.

I suppose it depends on expectations, but the lighter color could turn out to be an unforeseen bonus (minus the mentioned blotches)? Did you make sure the blemishes aren't just on top of the finish? I don't doubt your claim (as I have no reason to), but if its truly a manufacturing flaw, I hear Olight has top notch customer service. Keep us posted, should you decide to contact the manufacturer or merchant.

PS: I'm a "NOOB" poster, but a long time reader. Thank you all for bringing such a wealth of information to the table for our consumption and enjoyment! :)

Deadbird

Newly Enlightened
"Here is my first post!"

Welcome to the club, as I just posted mine a moment ago too. :)
:welcome:

"I think Olight should consider this mod for future lights."

I agree, and thanks for sharing. I was in the process of attempting to figure out a way to have a tailcap mount (or close to), and you just saved the day! Bravo, good sir; bravo. :thumbsup:

Ehran

Newly Enlightened
Something for us to consider in the future.

I was excited to get my Olight S Minis which resulted in me reading this entire thread while I waited on arrival. I received my Rainbow Ti and Rose Gold Cu yesterday. It seems to me this thread focuses on three main topics of debate. The UI, the LED, and the clip. I don't use a clip to carry, so the only thing of note for me is that removing the clip from my PVD Ti light scratched the finish. Unfortunate yet acceptable for me, but not good for resale later if I ever decide to give it up. I am not deep enough into the flashlight world to comment on the LED over others here, except I am happy with the decision to release two temps even if they aren't each available in every metal.

Now, to the UI. I would consider this a simple function button light with only 5 modes of light available. Given the access to only 5 modes, I think the UI could be more appropriately a direct access UI and memory is not warranted. Momentary moonlight consuming only 0.5 lm would not be a problem to power consumption imo and would not likely consume enough more power than a lighted button to worry about, though I agree that a more complex lockout would be safer. I'm not really concerned with battery drain form the very efficient moonlight mode for a short time now and then. I am posting publicly for member feedback and because I know Olightworld is likely to see the comment since I cheated and replied to their post.

My solution: 5 modes direct access UI
From off
Long press and hold to activate lockout
Long Press and release to activate moonlight
Short Single Press to activate low power
Double click to activate medium power
Triple click to activate high power
Double click and hold to activate strobe

From on
Long press to activate moonlight
Short single press to turn directly off from any mode

Result, every mode is directly accessible from the off position. We usually know what mode we would like to get to before we ever turn the light on anyway. No need for memory function or hold to cycle and time release to your desired mode. I usually have to cycle one time through just to see what mode is active anyway then hope I catch the desired mode on the second cycle which doesn't always happen. The only mode not directly switchable when the light was already on would be low power. It would remain important to maintain the simplest off command from any mode. I suppose high and strobe commands could be switched, but the way I wrote it in would mean one click for low, two for medium and three for high.

So how about it guys, any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Deadbird

Newly Enlightened
I like it. As it is, cycling through the various outputs is a bit annoying. I find myself having to cover the light, when I don't want to light up the world with high, just to get back to a lower output. I've found myself switching up from moonlight, but it's a little time cosuming, for when you just want to do a quick task. The only problem I see with your (simple, yet smart) solution is getting back to low from ON, as you mention.

Once you get accustomed to the current UI, it's not too bad. My preference would be to just take high/turbo off the cycle, leaving it to double click only and leaving the moonlight like it is. I'd also prefer the memory mode to go bye-bye. A single press should enter low. Hold to cycle between low & med only, or to cycle up from moonlight. Hold for moonlight from off. Double press for turbo/high from off or on. It's not as simple as yours, but it seems like less to remember, somehow? :thinking:

(Leaving lockout, timers, strobe, and single presses the way they are.)

Last edited:

Ehran

Newly Enlightened
I like it. As it is, cycling through the various outputs is a bit annoying. I find myself having to cover the light, when I don't want to light up the world with high, just to get back to a lower output. I've found myself switching up from moonlight, but it's a little time cosuming, for when you just want to do a quick task. The only problem I see with your (simple, yet smart) solution is getting back to low from ON, as you mention.

Once you get accustomed to the current UI, it's not too bad. My preference would be to just take high/turbo off the cycle, leaving it to double click only and leaving the moonlight like it is. I'd also prefer the memory mode to go bye-bye. A single press should enter low. Hold to cycle between low & med only, or to cycle up from moonlight. Hold for moonlight from off. Double press for turbo/high from off or on. It's not as simple as yours, but it seems like less to remember, somehow? :thinking:

(Leaving lockout, timers, and single presses the way they are.)

Thanks for considering it!

Yes, my system would sacrifice the timer for individual selection or require a more complex click pattern to access it. The timer is not something I think I will use, though the function is new to me so time will tell. To get back to low, it would be two single clicks. Would still be a fast operation. Lockout wouldn't change. Triple click and hold could be used for timer if it is a well loved feature.

curry__muncha

Newly Enlightened
Re: *new* Olight Smini

I tried max mode using a few AW IMR 16340s (550mAh) and black AW 16340s 750mAh. I've had all of these cells for a number of years now so if there are new versions out these findings may not apply however I tried the max mode and on all of these rechargeable the turbo dropped from max to about the low mode (12 lumens) after 30-50 seconds.

Using a primary CR123 the light behaves exactly as it has on paper (max to about 300lm after 1.5mins) which I find quite odd. It's possibly my older RCR cells can't keep up with the current drain I suppose, I've ordered some Olight 16340s (650mAh) to see if they can make the light behave as others have found on rechargeable.

I had a similar issue =[

Last night I was using my light. For the first half hour it would access high mode without any problem, after that it wouldn't go into high mode no matter what I tried. All other modes worked fine but it was like high mode didn't even exist, it would just cycle through med and low.

I'm using AW ICR 123's so current supply shouldn't be an issue. And these cells would output high mode until the last drop previously and also on my S1 Baton without any issues.

I've only had the light for a week so will keep you guys posted if it happens again.

moshow9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like you would like an HDS light as that is somewhat closer to the UI of HDS. For Olight though, I do not like that UI. Each manufacturer has their UI and I actually like the UI that Olight uses for their lights. What I would change is to have the S Mini have a UI like the H1 Nova, having access to high before the drop down on Turbo and being able to double click to toggle between Turbo and the previously used mode. I would not like not being able to have access to low when the light is turned on. And for lights/headlamps that are geared more towards the general public than an HDS, I feel this type of UI complicates things and might turn people off to it and lead them to purchase something else, especially since there are differences (albeit slight) in shortcuts when the light is both on and off.

Deadbird

Newly Enlightened
"having access to high before the drop down on Turbo"

That WOULD be nice!

I'm not a fan of the memory mode, but having the option* to toggle memory sounds like it could be pretty handy.

Taking it a step further, if only Olight could compile a list of 4-5 commonly agreed upon UI modes that we could toggle between, that'd be high cotton. I'm new to posting, but perhaps Olight could put it up for a poll? It would be worth the effort, even if it were to just come up with a single UI, and forgo the programming route.

Another thing that I see so many people asking for is more clip orientation options. If they could come out with add-on clips that would allow a bezel down carry, that would make a lot of people happy. Now, if they really wanted to open up their market, coming out with an add-on accessory clip that would attach to a standard handgun rail, that'd be the coup de grace (in a 'good way' of course).

Ehran

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like you would like an HDS light as that is somewhat closer to the UI of HDS. For Olight though, I do not like that UI. Each manufacturer has their UI and I actually like the UI that Olight uses for their lights. What I would change is to have the S Mini have a UI like the H1 Nova, having access to high before the drop down on Turbo and being able to double click to toggle between Turbo and the previously used mode. I would not like not being able to have access to low when the light is turned on. And for lights/headlamps that are geared more towards the general public than an HDS, I feel this type of UI complicates things and might turn people off to it and lead them to purchase something else, especially since there are differences (albeit slight) in shortcuts when the light is both on and off.

Is there an HDS light in particular that uses an interface similar to what I described? I can't find anything like it in their EDC section which is what the olight s mini would be I think. I think the general public would benefit most from a simple system like I described with all main modes being available as a simple one click two click three click system. Olight is one of the more reasonably priced offering and is likely to garner interest from first time buyers. From medium for example access to low would be faster with two single clicks than a cycle through with a long press. Both low and moonlight would be more available in the UI I described IMO. The current UI is certainly more complex AND more variable between on and off controls. Press and hold to cycle when the light is on is very clunky in real use for me and requires both thought, time and timing that is not needed imo.

I can understand that people who are already olight users might not want the UI to change from what they know though. I think if a company produces different kinds of lights with different capabilities it is inherent that the same exact UI isn't going to be best for every light in the fleet. Something with few modes like this is made difficult to use by a cycling UI. This is the same reason twistys are unfortunate. Here you have a button light capable of direct access and you put an interface on it that copies a twisty for the most part.

Accidentally cycling right past your intended mode doesn't bother you? Having to access multiple modes without need doesn't both you? It seems very clunky and cheap to me. Access to high would be good I think.

emarkd

Flashlight Enthusiast
All HDS lights have basically the same interface and its very programmable and flexible, but the basic layout is a 4-mode light with only one mode available from off (not counting the secondary momentary). Then once the light is on, you can access the other three modes using these inputs -- double-click, triple-click, click-press-hold. Long-press while on also functions to access the click-press-hold mode in a momentary fashion. The actual function of each of those 4 modes is fully up to the individual user to program how they wish.

It sounds really complicated but its actually quite natural when you're actually holding the light.

Your proposed UI sounds more like Zebralight to me, and if I'm honest I think Zebralight's is better than yours. Zebralights have 3 primary modes (ignoring sub-modes for now) and those modes can be accessed from either "direction" from off. From off, press-n-hold the button to cycle through the modes starting in low, so it goes low > mid > high over and over as long as you hold. Release in the mode you want. OR from off, you can single-click to high, double-click to mid, triple-click to...well, strobe. But it used to be low before strobe was added to the lights.

Honestly though, Olight's UI is really pretty great. From off, its got instant access to low and instant access to high. Or you just press-n-hold to flip through the modes until you find what you want.

But hey, if you really think your UI is better then make it. You can write it for amtel avr and flash it to any number of "hobbyist" drivers available from the common sources. There's a whole world of hobbyist firmwares out there. Your addition would be very welcome :)

Ehran

Newly Enlightened
All HDS lights have basically the same interface and its very programmable and flexible, but the basic layout is a 4-mode light with only one mode available from off (not counting the secondary momentary). Then once the light is on, you can access the other three modes using these inputs -- double-click, triple-click, click-press-hold. Long-press while on also functions to access the click-press-hold mode in a momentary fashion. The actual function of each of those 4 modes is fully up to the individual user to program how they wish.

It sounds really complicated but its actually quite natural when you're actually holding the light.

Your proposed UI sounds more like Zebralight to me, and if I'm honest I think Zebralight's is better than yours. Zebralights have 3 primary modes (ignoring sub-modes for now) and those modes can be accessed from either "direction" from off. From off, press-n-hold the button to cycle through the modes starting in low, so it goes low > mid > high over and over as long as you hold. Release in the mode you want. OR from off, you can single-click to high, double-click to mid, triple-click to...well, strobe. But it used to be low before strobe was added to the lights.

Honestly though, Olight's UI is really pretty great. From off, its got instant access to low and instant access to high. Or you just press-n-hold to flip through the modes until you find what you want.

But hey, if you really think your UI is better then make it. You can write it for amtel avr and flash it to any number of "hobbyist" drivers available from the common sources. There's a whole world of hobbyist firmwares out there. Your addition would be very welcome :)

Thanks for the info. Did not mean to derail the thread. I'm sure my UI is too basic to be original. I like Olights UI in the S1R and the M1X I have. I suppose my point is that the cycle UI seems misplaced in the s mini basic 5 mode light covering only three of the modes one of which is accessible by double clicking. You end up with a cycle mode which only functions to reach two modes that are not accessible any other way. Last memory vs selectable memory seems a step back to me as many others here and I was just trying to figure out how to light two tents with one lamp (hopefully this is original because I just made it up.) I also like the Zebralight UI including the 2 mode settings and understand why that UI would have a scroll.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, to the UI. I would consider this a simple function button light with only 5 modes of light available. Given the access to only 5 modes, I think the UI could be more appropriately a direct access UI and memory is not warranted. Momentary moonlight consuming only 0.5 lm would not be a problem to power consumption imo and would not likely consume enough more power than a lighted button to worry about, though I agree that a more complex lockout would be safer. I'm not really concerned with battery drain form the very efficient moonlight mode for a short time now and then. I am posting publicly for member feedback and because I know Olightworld is likely to see the comment since I cheated and replied to their post.

My solution: 5 modes direct access UI
From off
Long press and hold to activate lockout
Long Press and release to activate moonlight
Short Single Press to activate low power

From on
Long press to activate moonlight
Short single press to turn directly off from any mode

You should look into Zebralight.

UI from off
Long press: moonlight/low
Single click: High
Double click: Medium
Triple click: Strobe
Press and hold ramps between modes

UI from on
Double click toggles between two modes in that subset (L1/L2, M1/M2, H1/H2)
Single click to turn off
Press and hold ramps between modes

There is more to them, but it allows easy access to low, medium, and high from off. I personally love the UI of Zebralights, with the Olights being a close second.

firsttothescene

Enlightened
Anyone using the imr 16340 designed for the s1r in the s mini?
I just received a couple and they do not seem to make much of a difference in this light output wise plus they are @ 6-7 mm longer than the olight rcr16340's.