Olight SR52UT a BEAST!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
great pics! I am not a pro photographer but in person my ut throws farther and brighter. Guess it comes down to how well you know your camera

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
Oh jeezzz, these threads are just too tempting. What s perfect companion for my SR MIMI... but then I have a m3xs-ut already!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
M3Xs-UT and the SR52UT are two totally different animals. First the SR52UT has a white tint to the beam unlike the Javelots halogen yellow. Secondly the SR52 spill is brighter than the Javelot spill. Lastly the SR52UT runs on high for hours compared to the 8 minutes of turbo time you get with the Javelot. Oh and the SR52UT has built in micro USB charging whereas the Javelots do not. I own the M2X, SR52UT and the M3XS-UT and compare them a lot. Ive found the SR52UT to have the best build quality of the 3 (seriously its like it was machined out of a lump of steel). The only thing going against the SR52UT is the lack of one extra mode. I cannot help but feel the UT needs either a firefly low or a second medium mode.

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
I agree, a firefly mode would be killer on this light. It would truly have EVERYTHING at that point. Run times would be insane. You already get 40hrs of run on low which I believe is like 80 lumens. It's such a brilliant and impressive light though I have yet to really use the lower settings. Why not just keep it on high all the time when you've got 4hrs of run at your fingertips!

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Regards the beam shots. They were just quickly taken on my phone so not the best. the sr52/ut/vn etc are superb little performers. I have only just received mine and it's taken top place in my lights already. It's an sr52vn with dedomed PDT xml2 with current boost. Measured at 250kcd. It's unbelievable really for the size. Will run on high for ages rather then just an initial boost. Highly recommend this one. It wipes the floor with my tk60 and surefire ubr invictus (both stock) which are the other throwers I have

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
SR52VN!!! Sweet! Now that I have 2 SR52's I plan on sending my base model SR52 to VINH to get the most throw out of it I can which I believe means a XP-G2 swap. Power will drop but I dont care it wont be by much anyways. Vinh works miracles with XPG2's I know that or maybe a premium dedome tint of another emitter type. Im not going for all out lumens Im going for supernatural throw and awesome tint on top of the usual strengthening of the lights electronics. Gonna be a bit before I have the cash to have it done but I know in the end Ill have a custom SR52 that will have a solid well done beam profile at a ridiculous distance yet still be bright and clear.

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
Regards the beam shots. They were just quickly taken on my phone so not the best. the sr52/ut/vn etc are superb little performers. I have only just received mine and it's taken top place in my lights already. It's an sr52vn with dedomed PDT xml2 with current boost. Measured at 250kcd. It's unbelievable really for the size. Will run on high for ages rather then just an initial boost. Highly recommend this one. It wipes the floor with my tk60 and surefire ubr invictus (both stock) which are the other throwers I have

Forgive my "newness". Does the VN indicate a mod? If so how do you go about getting it modded? I have no issues with my SR52UT, it's amazing! But the thought of even more throw is intriguing. Is yours a modded SR52UT/or non UT?

torchsarecool

Enlightened
The vn signature on lights shows that they have been given treatment by a chap called vinh who is a very highly respected member on this forum. I have never dealt with him first hand though. He has a thread somewhere on here. I believe he has moved on to modding the sr52ut and yes he does an xp-g2 version with a 318kcd output on 700 lumens! That would be pure throw. I like the xml2 dedomed as I appreciate the spill and mine is based on the sr52. sr52 & sr52ut are identical bodies/reflectors as far as I know, so once they have been upgraded it makes no odds what they starter as

Getflashed

Newly Enlightened
M3Xs-UT and the SR52UT are two totally different animals. First the SR52UT has a white tint to the beam unlike the Javelots halogen yellow. Secondly the SR52 spill is brighter than the Javelot spill. Lastly the SR52UT runs on high for hours compared to the 8 minutes of turbo time you get with the Javelot. Oh and the SR52UT has built in micro USB charging whereas the Javelots do not. I own the M2X, SR52UT and the M3XS-UT and compare them a lot. Ive found the SR52UT to have the best build quality of the 3 (seriously its like it was machined out of a lump of steel). The only thing going against the SR52UT is the lack of one extra mode. I cannot help but feel the UT needs either a firefly low or a second medium mode.
:thumbsup:I'm sold, totally different flashlights, I will pick one up! If the missus enquiries I'll print out your post:D

recDNA

Flashaholic
Wow the UT looks fabulous. Wish it were safe with primaries like the older models.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
RecDNA just curious why you mentioned that. Surely 18650 cells are a better option. More convenient and safer with proper use. Is there something I'm missing as I'm still learning
Also, If you find selfbuilts review on the sr52vn he states it is OK to use 6x cr123 cells. I guess it would be worth reconfirming that though

recDNA

Flashaholic
RecDNA just curious why you mentioned that. Surely 18650 cells are a better option. More convenient and safer with proper use. Is there something I'm missing as I'm still learning
Also, If you find selfbuilts review on the sr52vn he states it is OK to use 6x cr123 cells. I guess it would be worth reconfirming that though
Primaries last longer stored in a car. This is especially true in the winter

Sgav8r

Newly Enlightened
Primaries last longer stored in a car. This is especially true in the winter

Not really an issue considering this light charges 18650's inside it via micro USB port, and it ships with a car charging unit.

At least for me anyway. I've been keeping mine in my car with no issues and we've had some cold nights lately. Of course I haven't had it long but I think you could keep it plugged in and the cells would always be charged and ready for use.

wjv

Enlightened
Tree is approximately 180 metres away. Sr52vn.

Even for the NON-VN version, 180 meters is child's play. I've had no problem illuminating objects at a true (measured) 400 meters with throw to spare using the stock 52UT.

I'm even amazed at how well it throws on the low (80L) setting. . . That deep reflector really focuses the light.

So if I used the calculator on LED Rise properly,

Given a CD of 160,000 @ 1100 Lumens for 800 meters

Then we have
CD of 80,000 @ 550 Lumens for 565 meters
CD of 11,600 @ 80 Lumens for 215 meters

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Not really an issue considering this light charges 18650's inside it via micro USB port, and it ships with a car charging unit.

At least for me anyway. I've been keeping mine in my car with no issues and we've had some cold nights lately. Of course I haven't had it long but I think you could keep it plugged in and the cells would always be charged and ready for use.
Nevertheless I prefer primaries in a car. This is especially true if used infrequently. Not only will li ion lose capacity from lack of use at temps below 0 F li ion may not even work. I prefer primaries anyway. Rechargeables are better in lights used more often.

cancow

Newly Enlightened
Nice! I will wait for the next version that hopefully has a firefly mode.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
didnt the UT test out here on the forum at over 220k CD? Could have sworn it did. SR52/ut is THE perfect medium/bigger light. Build quality embarrasses Surefire but it is still just missing that low low mode and it bothers the hell out of me. Hell the low low mode could be 20 lumens for all I care itd still be more than welcome and would get used a LOT considering how huge the 52's beam is. Now that I have 2 SR52's the original is getting sent to Vinh when I have some money just for the electronics beef up and his DriverVN set to output spacing of my choice. Have vinh do his XPG2 masterwork on my original 52 for some supernatural throw and clarity despite a power drop. This set up would yield sickening throw at all output levels that is bright clear and defined despite likely dropping to 800 or less lumens,,,