OLIGHT VS FENIX RELIABILITY POLL

Which do you believe is more reliable / durable? Olight Vs Fenix

• I believe Olight to be generally more reliable / durable.

Votes: 13 32.5%
  • I believe Fenix to be generally more reliable / durable.

Votes: 27 67.5%

• Total voters

357mag1

Enlightened
I own a bunch of Fenix stock and modified lights, also about a dozen Olights all stock. The majority of my Olights have failed even though they receive a lot less use than most of my Fenix lights. Every SR series light I've owned has either had the expensive proprietary battery pack go bad or the switch failed. These aren't cheap lights so I'm disappointed with Olight quality. I gifted an AA Olight to my sister only to have it fail.

Most of these lights get used a lot with the exception of the Olight SR series which were used for the wow factor but where too big for practical carry at least in my opinion. The high failure rate with the SR series is especially disappointing considering the low usage rate.

I bought some of the Fenix TK70s when they went on sale and keep them stashed in buildings around the Farm so I always have access to a high powered light. I liked the D cell form factor though most didn't as the lights didn't sell well. All four are still working fine after tons of use and rechargeable D cells are cheap compared to SR series battery packs.

Just my experience with both brands.

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bump material.
IMO, Fenix rates just a bit higher in quality then Olight.
Hard to quantify, but through use and feel, it's felt by myself.
Though, Olight is gaining ground and has shown to include accessories beyond normal packaging that is a big bonus.
Like including battery tubes for smaller cells, designing light with rechargeable cells in mind for end user in multi format.
Decent cases and diffusers are included and that will IMO allow Olight to take a higher position in ranking soon.
Non have failed, other the tail cap issues on S series of Olight, quantifiable issue, not just failed without a explanation.
No explanation means some can't go as far too check cells or connections and quantify it as user or light issue.

Edit to add, by that metric,
every MagLite I've ever owned, failed. Battery or light burnt out.

Last edited:

braddy

Enlightened
I bought some of the Fenix TK70s when they went on sale and keep them stashed in buildings around the Farm so I always have access to a high powered light. I liked the D cell form factor though most didn't as the lights didn't sell well. All four are still working fine after tons of use and rechargeable D cells are cheap compared to SR series battery packs.

wow! A guy who doesn't mess around when it comes to buying what he wants.

I own a TK70 and love it, it is huge, but man, what a light. I'm glad that I got in on the last great D battery light, it is like Fenix's WWII battleship of lights. "Awesome" is fitting for it.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: FENIX VS OLIGHT - RELIABILITY / DURABILITY POLL

Another spectacular contribution. Thank you Leon. It's always a pleasure.

Haha yeah guess that does about represent my best effort... but hey I just feel proud to have understood the nature of the poll without issue, declared my belief in fenix. I mean, that has to count for something.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Touche

:touche:

What I find interesting is a lot of these folks own both brands so there is some valid data here: Olight does in fact seem less reliable but has great customer service ( I have emailed them and they are fast. ) While Fenix seems to consistently build reliable, time proven lights, but from what I have read are at odds with warranty work sometimes. They are also slower to email, I had to forward and old email one to get a response from a particular distributor. It appears they make a solid light, but warranty service seems highly related to what distributor you buy from. I have written Fenix directly and have gotten next day response. Not so with distributor X.

There are a LOT of Fenix lights here on CPF, with what I would consider a very low failure rate based on shear numbers vs complaints. I suppose the best warranty is the one you don't need. So Fenix, for me thus far, is taking the lead.

Again worth a mention, I have had great dealings and instant responses from Olight. Another thing is Olight seems to push forward harder coming out with some progressive ideas, in the first few runs there is bound to be some glitches, but they seem very proactive in regards to warranty. So props to them.

FlashKat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regardless of how good a warranty is it does not help if a product fails. I have bought products with a great warranty, but served me no good when you need to rely on a product.
Touche

:touche:

What I find interesting is a lot of these folks own both brands so there is some valid data here: Olight does in fact seem less reliable but has great customer service ( I have emailed them and they are fast. ) While Fenix seems to consistently build reliable, time proven lights, but from what I have read are at odds with warranty work sometimes. They are also slower to email, I had to forward and old email one to get a response from a particular distributor. It appears they make a solid light, but warranty service seems highly related to what distributor you buy from. I have written Fenix directly and have gotten next day response. Not so with distributor X.

There are a LOT of Fenix lights here on CPF, with what I would consider a very low failure rate based on shear numbers vs complaints. I suppose the best warranty is the one you don't need. So Fenix, for me thus far, is taking the lead.

Again worth a mention, I have had great dealings and instant responses from Olight. Another thing is Olight seems to push forward harder coming out with some progressive ideas, in the first few runs there is bound to be some glitches, but they seem very proactive in regards to warranty. So props to them.

Enlightened
I own a bunch of Fenix stock and modified lights, also about a dozen Olights all stock. The majority of my Olights have failed even though they receive a lot less use than most of my Fenix lights. Every SR series light I've owned has either had the expensive proprietary battery pack go bad or the switch failed. These aren't cheap lights so I'm disappointed with Olight quality. I gifted an AA Olight to my sister only to have it fail. Most of these lights get used a lot with the exception of the Olight SR series which were used for the wow factor but where too big for practical carry at least in my opinion. The high failure rate with the SR series is especially disappointing considering the low usage rate. I bought some of the Fenix TK70s when they went on sale and keep them stashed in buildings around the Farm so I always have access to a high powered light. I liked the D cell form factor though most didn't as the lights didn't sell well. All four are still working fine after tons of use and rechargeable D cells are cheap compared to SR series battery packs. Just my experience with both brands.
I'd imagine Fenix would have more incentive to design/build more robust equipment given their greater market penetration and desire to start shifting even more units to average folks. Some of these new kid on the block brands may not care or may not have enough experience in design to match.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast

Regardless of how good a warranty is it does not help if a product fails. I have bought products with a great warranty, but served me no good when you need to rely on a product.

Yes, that was more or less on of my points but didn't want to be dismissive of the positives I've experienced with Olight.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
I hate to say this, but this is a fundamentally flawed poll. What does this really tell you? People may vote who own only one or even neither of these lights. One brand may have one or two problem lights while the other may have 5 such lights. Many people will vote for one brand based on their sampling of one or two flashlights only. One brand may be perceived as having serious problems by one person and only slightly more problems than the other by another person. Finally, the brand voted as worse may still actually be perceived as being a solid flashlight company with few problems. I own several flashlights from each company, but will not be voting in this poll.

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Own a couple of both. Both been solid reliable. But, both are also small older versions. Heh not sure how long but it's been awhile since the fenix p1d and olight t10/t15.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive owned nearly 20 Fenix lights since they began as a company and have only ever had to send in one for repair which was a well beaten PD35. Just got it back and it works perfectly. I do have a few recent Olights and have gotta say I am VERY impressed with the quality but given the much shorter time Ive had Olights vs the many Years Ive used and abused just about any Fenix you can think of Im going to still give Fenix the thumbs up vs Olight....for now...

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd imagine Fenix would have more incentive to design/build more robust equipment given their greater market penetration and desire to start shifting even more units to average folks.

This is so very true. I've found Fenix lights in three different stores here in littel Brisbane town in the last few years. I bought a PD35 from a local outdoor shop a few weeks ago because the price they were selling it for was cheaper than what I could get it in from the USA.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive owned nearly 20 Fenix lights since they began as a company and have only ever had to send in one for repair which was a well beaten PD35. Just got it back and it works perfectly. I do have a few recent Olights and have gotta say I am VERY impressed with the quality but given the much shorter time Ive had Olights vs the many Years Ive used and abused just about any Fenix you can think of Im going to still give Fenix the thumbs up vs Olight....for now...

What distributor did you deal with for warranty? Or did the dealer facilitate the repair?

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
From a dealer perspective, ignoring recall issues like the S30R, they are two of the most reliable brands that we sell. We have very low return/warranty rates on both brands. I would rate them about the same in terms of quality.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a dealer perspective, ignoring recall issues like the S30R, they are two of the most reliable brands that we sell. We have very low return/warranty rates on both brands. I would rate them about the same in terms of quality.

Thanks Marshall.

I got to give this one a go:

What brand / model that you carry would you consider the most reliable?

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
ive never owned a fenix so i cant vote one way or the other but i have had a few olights that got retired to the ole junk box before having anything go wrong with them. i will say (jokingly) forrest should get permission before opening another poll thread and deleting half his posts.