Olight X7 Marauder measurements (3x XHP70, 4x 18650)

maukka

Enlightened
Re: Olight X7 Marauder unboxing (3x XHP70, 4x 18650) review in progress

The review is now done. Please see the first post.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice, all runtimes are turbo. With out the voltage drop from turbo use and heat build up, can it be turned on at 3000 lumens and stay there ?

narmattaru

Enlightened

and done excellent!
thanx a lot for such a detailed review.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maukka, that heat vid is awesome ! I really enjoyed that, good work !

Now we know why they call it the "Meteor"! That light looked like it was about to burn up. :laughing:

Toby

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, Maukka, it is a very detailed review. I really like your heat detection video.

eneoros

Newly Enlightened

Can you mention something about the user interface, because i'm not aware of the Olight interfaces. The moonlight and especially how it's activated and can you start from it and cycle through otrer modes graduali or it is separated and used alone. Because in my tm16 i can start from moonlight i can start from last used and from turbo.
Thanks. :)

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast

Can't imagine the time you put into this review. Wonderful job! :thumbsup:

Bruno28

Enlightened

I ordered mine from ebay. Apparently it's been shipped and on its way. Thought they weren't available yet.

maukka

Enlightened

Can you mention something about the user interface, because i'm not aware of the Olight interfaces. The moonlight and especially how it's activated and can you start from it and cycle through otrer modes graduali or it is separated and used alone. Because in my tm16 i can start from moonlight i can start from last used and from turbo.
Thanks. :)

Can't believe I didn't put that in. Here goes and also updated the review.

User interface

The usual Olight interface is there with a little twist because of the new "turbo s" mode.

From off:
One click to turn on (memorizes last used mode, except turbo, turbo s and strobe)
Long press and hold for moonlight (also memorized)
Double click for turbo, another double click after light has turned on for turbo s
Triple click for strobe

From on:
Click to turn off
Long press to cycle through basic modes (low, medium, high)
Double click for turbo, another double click for turbo s
Triple click for strobe

eneoros

Newly Enlightened

thanks for quick update :) So if you longpress and start from moonlight can you then longprrss and cycle though low medium and high. This is what concerns me and will motivate me to purchase the Olight x7. :)

eneoros

Newly Enlightened
Great :)) now its up to decide from where to buy it. There are retailers in ebay who claim that they sell cheaper olights because they are in the same region az the factory that produces the flashlights. Is 150$ a realistic price since in the Olight site the price is 200$?

maukka

Enlightened
Someone on the other forum asked, what is the output on Turbo S when the batteries are not full.

Here's runtime on turbo s with ~50% depleted batteries, charged to 3.9V. Total lumen-hours are about half.
Qtkax2i.png

So yes, 9000 lumens needs a high battery voltage. This also means that batteries that cannot sustain high voltage under high load, can't provide the max output, just like Olight said.

maukka

Enlightened
Exactly. From moon long press will go to low-med-high.

Not sure if it matters, but the complete cycle is:
Off - long press for moonlight - long press for low-med-high-low-med-high

So the cycle does not go back to moonlight after the first round.

eneoros

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if it matters, but the complete cycle is:
Off - long press for moonlight - long press for low-med-high-low-med-high

So the cycle does not go back to moonlight after the first round.

It's the same to me because the main was that i can start from moonlight and then low medium and high :)

maukka

Enlightened

Tested the thermal regulation by turning the fan on and off on the highest mode. Fan cooled and fan off runtimes also shown for reference.
rOnxL3R.png

The thermal stepdowns happens when the surface is at 54-56°C. The increase in output is not instant if you start cooling the light off after it has already stepped down due to heat.

Only after the light has cooled significantly it starts to ramp back up again. I measured 38°C from the surface 6 minutes after turning the fan on at 10 minutes. This is when the output suddenly jumped up a bit for the first time. The surface temperature rose from 36 to 41 during the next 17 minutes while the fan was on and the light kept getting brighter. It finally (almost) reached the output that was achieved with the test where the fan was on all the time. Turning the light off and on again didn't restore the original turbo s levels, because the batteries had already depleted a bit. Temperature never rose above 41°C afterwards while the fan was on.

I turned the fan off again at 45 minutes when the temperature and output were stabilized. After this the temperature started climbing again and reached 56°C at 52:40 after which a stepdown naturally happened again. Temp stayed at 53° from there on out.

Finally I turned the fan on at the 1 hour mark. The behaviour was similar as before: output increased when the surface had cooled down to 38°C.

The temperature was 40°C at 1h 25min when the final stepdown happened because of the low battery voltage.

TCY

Enlightened

Very detailed review. Thanks for the hard work:twothumbs

eneoros

Newly Enlightened

Great review Mukka my admirations. I wonfer if i use the X7 in the winter and the temperature is - 10 Celsius is it going to heath up to 54 degree Celsius or it will behave like in the graph with te fan.
I have a question about the deeper looking reflectors is the angle of spill the same as in Niwalker mm15 or Thrunite tn36ut or it is with more focised Hotspot and narrower spill.