Olight X7 Marauder measurements (3x XHP70, 4x 18650)

maukka

Enlightened
Re: Olight X7 Marauder unboxing (3x XHP70, 4x 18650) review in progress

Great review Mukka my admirations. I wonfer if i use the X7 in the winter and the temperature is - 10 Celsius is it going to heath up to 54 degree Celsius or it will behave like in the graph with te fan.

I have done tests in -8°C with a Zebralight H600Fd III, and with that the freezing ambient temperature was not enough to prevent the light from heating up. It behaved pretty much the same outside in -8°C compared to room temperature with a fan. The output stayed actually a bit higher inside with a fan. But if you added a fan to the mix in the freezing outside tests, then there was no stepdown in output at all :)

Here are the tests in question.

wzBZcRo.jpg

Fa5xUuV.jpg

I have a question about the deeper looking reflectors is the angle of spill the same as in Niwalker mm15 or Thrunite tn36ut or it is with more focised Hotspot and narrower spill.

Can't compare the spill to the lights you mentioned, since I don't own them.

eneoros

Newly Enlightened

Thanks for the fast and well informed answer. It was surprising that such low temperatures won't prevent significantly from heating.

TEMPA

Newly Enlightened

So just to make sure I am not mis-reading - this light DOES NOT go from off to maximum output without a whole series of button clicks and even then via turbo mode first? Is that right? Surely you would want to be able to go from darkness to full output or is that just me?

eneoros

Newly Enlightened

From off when you double click you go to turbo and if the batteries are at full charge when you again double click you go to turbo S. So you can go from total darkness to extreme brightness.

maukka

Enlightened

So just to make sure I am not mis-reading - this light DOES NOT go from off to maximum output without a whole series of button clicks and even then via turbo mode first? Is that right? Surely you would want to be able to go from darkness to full output or is that just me?

That's exactly how it works. Good points, and I agree. It would be nice to have an instant access to max output from off. I like the Noctigon's press and hold for momentary turbo from either off or on. Or if you time it right, to stay on turbo from off with a lower temp limit when you release the switch after the turbo has activated.

Last edited:

flybird

Newly Enlightened

Maukka, thanks for the review.
Could you pleae give some rough comparison with the Thrunite TN36 or TN36UT in term of Beam pattern or other aspect.
( if you happen to have TN36 ) Thank you.

maukka

Enlightened

Sorry, don't have a TN36.

Gary W. Graley

Newly Enlightened

Wow, you are like the Batman of light reviews :) Very impressive! I also received one to review from Olight but my review pales (pun intended) to yours. I can add one thing that I did make for mine, since it doesn't have a lanyard;

I came up with as a makeshift lanyard, with the groove running around the light, I tied a whip knot tightly to the light so the paracord is anchored in that groove. And the celtic bead is decorative and also acts as a keeper, meaning you slip your hand into the lanyard, and slide the bead up to your wrist which makes it safer and less likely to fall off your wrist, works well too. And this will prevent the light from rolling around, of course with the wide base it easily stands up on it's own, but this helps.

also behind the light is the holster that comes with the light.
Olight_X7_lanyard.jpg~original

and a close up of the whipping knot, easiest way to do this is to start the whipping knot while it's off the light and get it close to where you have to force the loop over the light housing, then wrap it tighter and finish the knot.

And it's position, with the bulk of the weight behind the lanyard, the head is tilted up if you happen to drop the light and the lanyard wouldn't even attempt to slip off due to the wider bezel area.

Olight_X7_lanyard_.jpg~original

I took some shots in hand today to show a size comparison, my palm measures about 3 1/2" wide which I would say is about a medium glove size. Here is a shot to compare it's size to a Fenix TK22 which I am pretty sure most light folks will recognize. Now the TK22 is rated about 900 lumens and the Olight X7 is rated at 9,000, yes, a sizeable difference in output, but the main difference I see would be the throw, where the TK22 goes as far or farther but not NEARLY as full or wide a flood as the X7, so it comes down to what you need to do with the light. The TK22 you would be moving it about in order to see more things, where the X7 lights up a wider area so you SEE things at the same time, that is a plus for sure.

Olight_X7_TK22.jpg~original

The lanyard idea seems to work fine, and it still fits into the holster with that attached, here you can see how I slid the celtic bead up to my wrist to act as a keeper, please keep in mind, this is NOT from Olight, just something my brain cooked up to solve the lack of a lanyard attachment spot ;)

Olight_X7_in_hand.jpg~original

and if it drops out of my hand, it will hang like so, or if you needed to let it go to grab something, you can do so without having to find a spot or put it in the holster;

Olight_X7_drop.jpg~original

you can see that the weight is tail heavy so that will make the lanyard unable to slide off, even so, it is fairly tight around it so it wouldn't come free at this point anyways.

Olight_X7_hanging.jpg~original

Hope that helps you guys and gals out and maybe you can use this lanyard idea on some other lights as well.
G2

Impossible lumens

Enlightened

Wow, this is a very interesting review to read through. The X7 impresses me too. Looks to be a pretty well thought out premium flooder. Thanks Maukka.

eneoros

Newly Enlightened

So in youtube there are already a few beamshot videos of the Olight x7 and something that i noticed in Martial's Going gear video is s really bluish tint of the spill on his hand. Maybe Mukka will answer best my question since he has done the special analysis of ther Hotspot and the spill. Is the spill more bluish in the Olight x7 then the comon CW flashlights or is there some reflection from the blue ring of the basel.

maukka

Enlightened

In the X7 the spread in color temp for spill vs. hotspot is typical for a Cree LED. The only exception I have encountered is the Cree MT-G2, which actually gets warmer towards the spill and has less of a difference between hotspot and spill anyway.

haro

Newly Enlightened

Thank you, it's an impressive review!

Question regarding the original Olight Batteries, with Samsung 35E cell.
Are they protected and how long they are?

Do you think, that the protected Keeppower 18650 3500mAh, discharge protection about 8A, will fit with the dimensions of the X7 batterie tank?
The Keeppower is 69mm long.
Will it be sufficient for Turbo S?

shrike2222

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you for great review, Maukka!

I'm interested in Noctigon M43, would you provide more detail review for M43?
Lumens output, runtime and so on.

Kim.

maukka

Enlightened

Question regarding the original Olight Batteries, with Samsung 35E cell.
Are they protected and how long they are?

Do you think, that the protected Keeppower 18650 3500mAh, discharge protection about 8A, will fit with the dimensions of the X7 batterie tank?
The Keeppower is 69mm long.
Will it be sufficient for Turbo S?

The bundled Olight Samsung 35E batteries are protected and 68.9mm long. I have those exact same Keeppowers. Mine are 69.2mm long and fit fine.

Here's the first 10 minutes on the Olight Samsung 35Es and Keeppower 3500mAhs. Ambient 19°C with a fan. The Keeppowers keep up just fine. The stepdown time difference is just because of heat. I did the Olight test a while after the Keeppower test and there might still have been some residual heat inside the light.

SsH8vB7.png

maukka

Enlightened

I'm interested in Noctigon M43, would you provide more detail review for M43?
Lumens output, runtime and so on.

I will do the Meteor test at some point.

TEMPA

Newly Enlightened

That's exactly how it works. Good points, and I agree. It would be nice to have an instant access to max output from off.

Yeah that took it off my shopping list to be honest. I want some way to go to max output from off. Not with 4 button clicks.... Seems a poorly thought out design in my opinion.

eneoros

Newly Enlightened

i suppose that panasonic ncr18650b wont be enough to deliver the current for achieving that 9000lm or i am wrong.

firsttothescene

Enlightened

Wow, you are like the Batman of light reviews :) Very impressive! I also received one to review from Olight but my review pales (pun intended) to yours. I can add one thing that I did make for mine, since it doesn't have a lanyard;

I came up with as a makeshift lanyard, with the groove running around the light, I tied a whip knot tightly to the light so the paracord is anchored in that groove. And the celtic bead is decorative and also acts as a keeper, meaning you slip your hand into the lanyard, and slide the bead up to your wrist which makes it safer and less likely to fall off your wrist, works well too. And this will prevent the light from rolling around, of course with the wide base it easily stands up on it's own, but this helps.

also behind the light is the holster that comes with the light.
Olight_X7_lanyard.jpg~original

and a close up of the whipping knot, easiest way to do this is to start the whipping knot while it's off the light and get it close to where you have to force the loop over the light housing, then wrap it tighter and finish the knot.

And it's position, with the bulk of the weight behind the lanyard, the head is tilted up if you happen to drop the light and the lanyard wouldn't even attempt to slip off due to the wider bezel area.

Olight_X7_lanyard_.jpg~original

I took some shots in hand today to show a size comparison, my palm measures about 3 1/2" wide which I would say is about a medium glove size. Here is a shot to compare it's size to a Fenix TK22 which I am pretty sure most light folks will recognize. Now the TK22 is rated about 900 lumens and the Olight X7 is rated at 9,000, yes, a sizeable difference in output, but the main difference I see would be the throw, where the TK22 goes as far or farther but not NEARLY as full or wide a flood as the X7, so it comes down to what you need to do with the light. The TK22 you would be moving it about in order to see more things, where the X7 lights up a wider area so you SEE things at the same time, that is a plus for sure.

Olight_X7_TK22.jpg~original

The lanyard idea seems to work fine, and it still fits into the holster with that attached, here you can see how I slid the celtic bead up to my wrist to act as a keeper, please keep in mind, this is NOT from Olight, just something my brain cooked up to solve the lack of a lanyard attachment spot ;)

Olight_X7_in_hand.jpg~original

and if it drops out of my hand, it will hang like so, or if you needed to let it go to grab something, you can do so without having to find a spot or put it in the holster;

Olight_X7_drop.jpg~original

you can see that the weight is tail heavy so that will make the lanyard unable to slide off, even so, it is fairly tight around it so it wouldn't come free at this point anyways.

Olight_X7_hanging.jpg~original

Hope that helps you guys and gals out and maybe you can use this lanyard idea on some other lights as well.
G2
Nice lanyard

Last edited:

Gary W. Graley

Newly Enlightened

Thanks, it works really well and provides better security while using it, being tightly into that groove, it's not coming off anytime soon!
G2