Olight X7R Marauder review with measurements (3xXHP70, 4x18650)

maukka

Enlightened
The sensor is not very sensitive. I've had no trouble ceiling bouncing on turbo s. You can also always just block it with tape.

I think the output discrepancy is because of manufacturing, not their measurements, which seem to usually match with my calibrated sphere. I assume this because there has been some X7Rs that do reach 12000 lumens initially when the light is turned on. Also, Olight's specs for the X7R do not specify the 12000 lumens at 30 seconds but for maximum in the beginning. That's what they told me when I got my low numbers.

Olight also says should the battery wear out they will replace the battery pack. You can send the light in for service or they can send you a new one with a tool to open the tailcap and instructions on how to change it yourself. In normal use the pack will no doubt last a long time.

Olight World: You can take the battery pack out and it is serviceable. We can either send it to you and tell you how to do it or you can send it in.

Here's the battery pack opened by a reviewer

Here's Goinggear visiting the Olight factory. They seem to actually test the lights and not pull the numbers out of you know where.

Last edited:

Rikt

Newly Enlightened
Hi flashaholics!

I'm reading reviews for weeks now and this is my first post, need some advice.
First of all, thank you for your thoroughly build up reviews, learned a lot. :twothumbs

I'm looking for something like the x7r with a little more throw and a comparable output, cost and size.
I will be mainly using it for walking in the woods. (Also strobo would be nice because over the past year my dog caught two burglars).

The PT60 also intrested me but the output on high (2470lm 2h19) doesnt do it for me. Medium is 500lm, thats to low in my opinion. I need min. 1000+ lumen for min. 3-4hrs.
The marauder does that but i sometimes (animals/burglars) like to see to further then 300m.

I like high flood/spill so i can see my feet and my surroundings verry wel. But also would like a +400 meters hotspot on turbomode.

lights that intrested me:
fenix tk35ue xhp50 (not enough spill?, not rechargeable)
tm06s (not rechargeable, incl batterys and charger its too expensive also regarding its battery problems)
pt60(bad runtime on +1000lm)
meteor m43 (not rechargeable)

x7r(like to throw little further, dont need 12000lm at my feet, but for me the best one that i know off)

It is also possible that i am too demanding :oops::)
but then again 350 dollars realy is alot of money for me, so better safe then sorry.

Thank you guys,
greetz from belgium (and excuse me for my bad english)
R.

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe look into the Acebeam x45.

Edit: I don't want to hijack this thread, so maybe it would be best if you open a new thread under "recommend me a light". You might have better luck with responses. :poke:

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
Welcome to cpf, Rikt! I'd also recommend putting a more focused, concise description of your needs in the "recommend me a light" forum. I will say that the X7, X7r, and X7vn are all very capable lights for a lot of purposes; but, they are not great for every purpose. Above you mentioned tactical uses, walking in woods, high output, long runtime, throw, and flood. Those are all competing considerations which, for me, mean that I often have multiple lights with me or available. Usually, that combination of lights adds up to a system that is cheaper and lighter weight than my single X7vn.

I'll also say that the X7 family is fantastic for a lot of purposes; but, on high, in the woods, the output is only useful to me when dialed way back (reflections off the ground and foliage is blinding on high--I use that setting, often, because it makes me giggle, but not because it is useful). To give you an idea of what I consider "useful" at night in the woods, I normally have a very floody headlamp set to 500-900 lumens, plus a handheld thrower with a focused beam that I'll shine every once in awhile at something in the distance (also less than 1000 lumens).

Best of luck!

Rikt

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your replies! Appreciate!
After i get a look into top nodge headlights i will defenitly move my question to 'recommend me a flashlight'. Wouldnt want to hijack this topic neither, great review :).

The X45 is not rechargeable which is a con for me. Also its rather big. But i like the output, enough flood and has a good reach. thank you for your recommendation.

The floody headlight + a thrower in a holster is accually a great idea!
Nevermind my girlfriend who gave me a weird look when i told her i want to buy a flashlight for over 300 dollars. :duh2: Now i will have to tell her its possible i will buy 2. :D:devil:

Thank you!
Greetz, R.

Cpt. Thomas

Newly Enlightened
I was looking at this light right up until not user serviceable / able to be opened / non-replaceable battery. I like Olight's quality and so far their innovation..... up till this. This is not innovation for Olight or ANY other mfg. targeting field / serious or emergency use, it's unfortunately a across the board deal breaker for me and my us needs anyway. If the target market is the occasional user Joe that wants to light up the barn behind the house or scorch a stray dog down the driveway and leave it plugged in all the time, I think they have winner.

I don't know how may times I have had a o-ring leak and saved a light by quickly opening and drying it out. Scrounged mis-matched cells or used a cobbled up spacer just to get back in operation etc. Will Olight replace batteries at 3 am on day 2 of a 10 day power outage (or longer?) due to a Typhoon .... or 5-6 years from now? I don't think so. During our Typhoon 2yrs ago, this light would have not made it through night 3, but my TM11 went 12 days on several sets of charged and ready to go 18650's and a *** load of 123's (only 2000L but better than a dead light that can't swap fresh cells!). What about when the batt pack goes disco from them? Just toss it in the trash? I really hope they and the other Mfgs are not headed in this direction to be eventually across the board with all / most of their product lines in the future. I and those like me that gotta have it operational now, just can't and won't do this type of "innovation". Sorry, just my two cents.

Cpt. Thomas

Last edited:

Keitho

Enlightened
I'm at the same place as you Cpt. That's why I got the X7vn--replaceable batteries, and WAY more output than stock. I like the Olight strategy they sometimes use of releasing similar or the same products, one version with built-in cells, one with replaceable. Two different markets that they can serve with very similar production lines and tooling.

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
looks like this one is on sale for black friday....great...just what i need...another high lumen flashlight for $168