One more m@g85 question, or two, or three...

Dr.K

Enlightened
Actually this is my first question(s) regarding the mag85

I got the host. (3d mag)

I have the UCL lens (flashlightlens.com)

I have the aluminum reflector (kaidomen)

I got 3 AW protected 18650's & charger.

I'm pretty sure I know what bulbs to get ;)

Now, the question.....
Where do I look to either get:

a bi-pin socket,
or pre-potted bulbs

OK, two questions then. What do you prefer, and where do you get?

I see AW has his soft start driver, is this really necessary if I only want to use the 1185, and I hear about a KIU socket, but it looks as if it is not available currently.

thanks,

Jenova

Enlightened
Get a KIU High temp kit, You wont regret it + it can handel alomst any bi pin bulb and is easyly upgradable

RoyJ

Enlightened
Get a KIU High temp kit, You wont regret it + it can handel alomst any bi pin bulb and is easyly upgradable

Second that. I started with the KD holder (not with 1185, but a similar G4 bulb). While this is a good concept, there're two drawbacks:

- it relies on the stock Mag bulb holder, which tends to position the bulb too high up into the reflector, causing bad focus. I had to manually jam the holder lower with some staples.

- the positive contact is friction fitted into the holder. When you screw the bulb holder down, it becomes detached and therefore you have a open circuit and no power.

I have a KIU socket on order as I speak.

Dr.K

Enlightened
Update:

Got my holder and a couple of bulbs from 5mega,

The aluminum reflector is not in yet, so I left the plastic one in place while only using short burst, (to prevent melting)

Man, I am completely impressed with the output of this thing!
It really seems to have a high lumen:dollar ratio.

It puts out a whiter colored light that any of my other incans.

Are there any other bulbs you'd recommend trying in this configuration, of 3x18650, stock switch?

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm impressed with the "Chinese Mystery Blub" from AW it's a G4 pin and very white coloration around 12v.

To get more volts to any bulb used I'd direct wire your bi-pin adaptor. Solder one lead for bi-pin adaptor pos to upper switch contact and then the other lead from bi-pin neg any where on it's casing to the ground. I like to use "JimmyM's" strap as in pic.

dsc00462pb4.jpg

jim

Update:

Got my holder and a couple of bulbs from 5mega,

The aluminum reflector is not in yet, so I left the plastic one in place while only using short burst, (to prevent melting)

Man, I am completely impressed with the output of this thing!
It really seems to have a high lumen:dollar ratio.

It puts out a whiter colored light that any of my other incans.

Are there any other bulbs you'd recommend trying in this configuration, of 3x18650, stock switch?

Last edited: