• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Orders - Programmable Hotwire Regulated Driver drop-in for D-M@g

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Alan, I don't mind helping out some of our overseas members regarding the KIU sockets. Let me get in my last order from KIU last week, and see how many extra I can send you. If you want to work out a credit transfer, fine. If that will be too much extra work, it's ok to "gift" them too. Again, if you are using a Osram 50+W bulb, the Osram sockets work really well.

donn_

Flashaholic
Confirming my intent to purchase 3x of these boogers and a programming adapter (I have the porogrammer).

I'm going to wait to see and absorb Lux's settings before I decide on mine.

I'll be sending KIU sockets for all 3. I assume your address hasn't changed since I sent the bulb.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Confirming my intent to purchase 3x of these boogers and a programming adapter (I have the porogrammer).

I'm going to wait to see and absorb Lux's settings before I decide on mine.

I'll be sending KIU sockets for all 3. I assume your address hasn't changed since I sent the bulb.

Address hasn't changed for 20 years. Thanks for the confirmation.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan, I don't mind helping out some of our overseas members regarding the KIU sockets. Let me get in my last order from KIU last week, and see how many extra I can send you. If you want to work out a credit transfer, fine. If that will be too much extra work, it's ok to "gift" them too. Again, if you are using a Osram 50+W bulb, the Osram sockets work really well.

I'm not sure how to handle it, but it sounds like a nice idea. I just need to know who gets the sockets, and who to credit for how much.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order:
- Quantity of Regulators: 3
-- Standard Model Regulator: 3
- Quantity of User Supplied Sockets: 3
- Quantity of Programming Adapters: 1
- Quantity of USB Programmers: 1
NOTE: At some point you will need to provide walkthrough directions for reprogramming.

Thanks for the confirmation.

We are working on the programming instructions in another thread.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan, what's the ETA for the kits? I really need the high voltage capability, so the kit form would be better for me anyway. I'm ready to get a couple of kits.

I have some parts for a few kits. The problem is the aluminum. I don't have many of the machined parts. I could do a board and parts without aluminum, but that's probably not what you want.

niner

Enlightened
I have some parts for a few kits. The problem is the aluminum. I don't have many of the machined parts. I could do a board and parts without aluminum, but that's probably not what you want.

Alan, actually, I could machine the aluminum part myself, if you can share the dimensions. Obvisously, I rather don't have to do it, but I won't allow that to stop me.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan, actually, I could machine the aluminum part myself, if you can share the dimensions. Obvisously, I rather don't have to do it, but I won't allow that to stop me.

Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Egads, that's a lot of work. I will have more aluminum in approximately 2 weeks.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan-I will post the specs on the 2 switches I'm ordering as soon as I figure out battery configuration.I have order 6 sockets from Kiu and will send them to you as soon as I receive them.Two for my switches-2 you can let KiwiMark have for his,and the other 2 you can let another overseas member have or use as you see fit.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan-I will post the specs on the 2 switches I'm ordering as soon as I figure out battery configuration.I have order 6 sockets from Kiu and will send them to you as soon as I receive them.Two for my switches-2 you can let KiwiMark have for his,and the other 2 you can let another overseas member have or use as you see fit.

Thanks!

cnjl3

Enlightened
Order:
- Quantity of Regulators: 1
-- Standard Model Regulator: 1 @ $97.00
- Quantity of User Supplied Sockets: 1 Kiu socket
- Shipping: $7.00

Regulator Model: (standard)

Bulb Data:
Bulb Type (manufacturer, model): Phillips 5761
Maximum Bulb Voltage (RMS full output): 7.2V
Medium Bulb Voltage 4.5V
Minimum Bulb Voltage (RMS fully dimmed): 2.0V

Battery Management:
Can be specified in one of two ways,
either
- Battery Chemistry: Li-ion
- Number of Cells: 3
or
- Maximum Battery Voltage: 12.6V fully charged
- Nominal Battery Voltage: Whatever you recommend
- Minimum Battery Voltage: 9.3V battery cut off - is this the same as your Equation C assumes that cells are fairly well matched but continues till one of them drops to minimum. This is the default choice.

Socket:
Basic, Osram Socket Upgrade, User Provided (specify):
I have already furnished my own KIU socket with KIU metric posts and
you have already recvd my KIU socket. I would like a little extra length in the
socket leads like CPF member Donn has mentioned since I have all three sizes
of reflectors to choose from Litho123's HS 2" plus Fm 2.5" and Delghi 3".

Other Features:
Click to Memory Level (if not then Max)
Double click to Max Voltage
Press from off to Min voltage
Press from on to Ramp - alternates up/down
Triple click to Mid Voltage (halfway between minimum and maximum voltage)
Five clicks to Lockout
Soft Start - I want the longest soft start available
Temperature Shutdown at 50C

OneLevel Mode - Turns light on/off with click or press. Uses memory level if available otherwise max voltage.

VariLevel Mode - On/off with click. on to low from off with press. brighten/dims with press while on, alternating direction. hundreds of small steps, appears continuous.

MultiLevel Mode - Similar to VariLevel but instead of hundreds of tiny steps does it in 3 to 7 large steps. Specify how many steps. Steps are equal in voltage from VLO to VHI.

At least one of the above three modes must be specified, but two or all three can be enabled. When more than one mode is programmed into the regulator then a quadclick while the light is on rotates to the next mode. The order of modes is OneLevel, VariLevel, MultiLevel. The default level mode is also specified at build time. This default takes effect at power applied (eg when batteries are installed). I will want all three modes.

Lockout Mode is a bit different. When this mode is entered only the click sequence to take it out of lockout mode works. The number of clicks to engage lockout mode can be selected. The default is 5. default is okay with me.

Lockout Mode Basic Flashlight Option - if this option is selected, while the light is in lockout mode it will behave as a basic single level flashlight. The voltage level is also selected and is usually a low level on high powered lights. If this option is not selected then lockout mode does nothing and the flashlight appears to be broken until unlocked. With this option it appears to be a single level light at whatever light level / voltage was programmed. Voltage i want is whatever gets me the equivilant of a stock 2D MAG:)

PayPal sent:)

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order:
- Quantity of Regulators (std): 1
- Quantity of User Supplied Sockets: 1 Kiu socket
- Quantity of Programming Adapters: ?

Regulator Model: (standard)

Bulb Data:
Bulb Type (manufacturer, model): Phillips 5761
Maximum Bulb Voltage (RMS full output): 7.2V
Minimum Bulb Voltage (RMS fully dimmed): ?(what do you recommend?)

Battery Management:
Can be specified in one of two ways,
either
- Battery Chemistry: Li-ion
- Number of Cells: 3
or
- Maximum Battery Voltage: 12.6V fully charged
- Nominal Battery Voltage: ? (what is this setting for?)
- Minimum Battery Voltage: 9.3V battery cut off?

Socket:
Basic, Osram Socket Upgrade, User Provided (specify): I will furnish my own KIU socket with KIU metric posts (I forget if the posts are needed with this bulb)

I like 2.0V for the WA1185. Could go a bit lower on the 5761 but don't have to.

Nominal battery voltage is used for soft starting. It may also be used for battery cutoff (if the cutoff is not specified I may be using (ncells-1)*nominal + minimum) since one cell will go first while the rest are still nominal.

The present design is for either SAE or Metric posts/screws for the socket. I don't know what length the 5761 takes. The 1185 takes 9/16 so we can work from there.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks dude! I am genuinely touched by how kind, generous & helpful the people on this forum are (especially Lux, Andreas and Alan B). You guys are the best!

I have updated my order.
I was going to go with just one regulator, but if I am going to fork out for the programmer and freight anyway I might as well go with 2 regulators and get another hotwire mod working. I already have 4 different ROP (3853-L, 3853-H, 3854-L & 3854-H) torches going, but they don't have the clever programmable driver with ramping output and settable max voltage. I'm looking forward to playing with this regulator - it should be fun to experiment with (hopefully not too many bulbs die from my experiments).

cnjl3

Enlightened
Thanks! I have updated my order.

I like 2.0V for the WA1185. Could go a bit lower on the 5761 but don't have to.

Nominal battery voltage is used for soft starting. It may also be used for battery cutoff (if the cutoff is not specified I may be using (ncells-1)*nominal + minimum) since one cell will go first while the rest are still nominal.

The present design is for either SAE or Metric posts/screws for the socket. I don't know what length the 5761 takes. The 1185 takes 9/16 so we can work from there.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Alan, I posted image of bulb sizes in discussion thread. Also, fix your link at top of this thread that directs people to the discussion thread. You have the display showing the correct thread, but the linked URL when clicked on goes to this same order thread. I felt like I was in a Polish Fire Drill (I'm 1/4th Polish so I'm entitled). Now I see one of the reasons I was getting all these threads mixed up in my head. LOL!

donn_

Flashaholic

Doesn't the post selection depend on and vary with the type of reflector used? I seem to have to vary post-height for the same bulb in regular Mag reflectors, 3" FM reflectors, FM Throwmaster reflectors and to a lesser extent Delghi/Carley 3" reflectors.

I hadn't planned to send posts/screws along with the KIU sockets, figuring I'd just install them as needed. Should I send them anyway?

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan, I posted image of bulb sizes in discussion thread. Also, fix your link at top of this thread that directs people to the discussion thread. You have the display showing the correct thread, but the linked URL when clicked on goes to this same order thread. I felt like I was in a Polish Fire Drill (I'm 1/4th Polish so I'm entitled). Now I see one of the reasons I was getting all these threads mixed up in my head. LOL!

Thanks for the comment, the URL said one thing and did something else. I believe it is corrected now.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesn't the post selection depend on and vary with the type of reflector used? I seem to have to vary post-height for the same bulb in regular Mag reflectors, 3" FM reflectors, FM Throwmaster reflectors and to a lesser extent Delghi/Carley 3" reflectors.

I hadn't planned to send posts/screws along with the KIU sockets, figuring I'd just install them as needed. Should I send them anyway?

I will install a default spacer, most likely the standard M@g85 type, and you can readjust as needed. The socket needs to be supported for safe shipment, etc, but the final adjustment will depend on bulb and reflector.