• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Orders - Programmable Hotwire Regulated Driver drop-in for D-M@g

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Doesn't the post selection depend on and vary with the type of reflector used? I seem to have to vary post-height for the same bulb in regular Mag reflectors, 3" FM reflectors, FM Throwmaster reflectors and to a lesser extent Delghi/Carley 3" reflectors.

I hadn't planned to send posts/screws along with the KIU sockets, figuring I'd just install them as needed. Should I send them anyway?

You are correct. That is why I mentioned either a selection of screws and tubes, or the threads match KIU's which many of us have his pegs. The sample post legs Alan sent me worked fine in a FM-3H with 5761, but Osram bulb was too high. You also have to be careful with the wires if you adjust bulb holder, so you don't break their solder connection as you raise/lower pedestal. Been there, done that with adjusting AWR Hotdriver height.

Last edited:

cnjl3

Enlightened
I mentioned sending the KIU posts because I remember "once upon a time" I bought a driver that was shipped with the KIU socket wires clipped so short that later left me high and dry with not enough space for the posts underneath the KIU socket. That was a real BUMMER! That is the only reason that I brought this up. Yeah, you can always fit them in later, as long as the KIU socket leads allow it:)

Doesn't the post selection depend on and vary with the type of reflector used? I seem to have to vary post-height for the same bulb in regular Mag reflectors, 3" FM reflectors, FM Throwmaster reflectors and to a lesser extent Delghi/Carley 3" reflectors.

I hadn't planned to send posts/screws along with the KIU sockets, figuring I'd just install them as needed. Should I send them anyway?

If you are leaving enough room for an 1185 that should be high enough.

I will install a default spacer, most likely the standard M@g85 type, and you can readjust as needed. The socket needs to be supported for safe shipment, etc, but the final adjustment will depend on bulb and reflector.

donn_

Flashaholic
Good point, and one I don't remember seeing considered in the development of the switch.

There needs to be enough wire lead length to handle all the way from no post at all, up to a pretty high post set-up.

There also needs to be enough room to stuff the extra lead-length under the socket, at whatever height it is set.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
The WA1185 is a small bulb so the posts are high. Hopefully that is as long as we need. I try to leave a little more slack, but can't leave too much as there isn't a lot of room.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
The WA1185 is a small bulb so the posts are high. Hopefully that is as long as we need. I try to leave a little more slack, but can't leave too much as there isn't a lot of room.

Unfortunately, this is turning into another discussion thread, rather than for orders...but the 1185 is the one end of that scale (needing the longest legs). All other bulbs will either work at that length (i.e. all other WA) or will need shorter legs, such as the Osrams to bring the filament back into focal point.

SR.GRINGO

Enlightened
I will start with two. Would like to see what Lux comes up with as far as getting the fine points dialed in. I'll edit this when I figure out everything.

November 15

5761 & 64430
5761 will be in the elephant
8 AW 18650 protected cells
Elephant Reflector FM3V2
Ramp up
Low 6.8
MED 7.4
HIGH 7.8 VOLTS

64430 will probably go into a mag 3d
4*IMR 26500
Ramp up
LOW 8 VOLTS
MED 9.5 VOLTS
HIGH 10.5 VOLTS

The High's are at the top of Lux's charts. Do these numbers sound reasonable? These lights are intended to serve a working purpose.
Please provide appropriate sockets according to the intended bulb. Also please let me know how much with a programmer.

Last edited:

CancerLad

Newly Enlightened
I would like to verify my interest in one kit.

Order:
- Quantity of Regulators: 1
-- Standard Model Regulator: 1

- Quantity of Osram Socket Upgrades:0
- Quantity of User Supplied Sockets:1
- Quantity of Programming Adapters:1
- Quantity of USB Programmers:0
- Shipping: US east coast

Payment (do not pay until directed):
- Total Amount: <tbd>
- Paid via PayPal on (date)
- make sure to include your CPF Id and posting number in this thread in your PayPal

Copy the section below for each regulator ordered:

Regulator Number:1

Regulator Model: kit

Bulb Data:
Bulb Type (manufacturer, model):<tbd>
Maximum Bulb Voltage (RMS full output):<tbd>
Minimum Bulb Voltage (RMS fully dimmed):<tbd>

Battery Management:

- Battery Chemistry:Lion
- Number of Cells:8

Socket:
User Provided (specify):KIU

Other Features:<tbd>

more here...

I was planning on using the programmer at http://store.makerbot.com/electronics/electronics-kits/usbtinyisp-avr-programmer-kit.html if anyone is interested in a cheaper USB programmer source.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was planning on using the programmer at http://store.makerbot.com/electronics/electronics-kits/usbtinyisp-avr-programmer-kit.html if anyone is interested in a cheaper USB programmer source.

That looks like a programmer that I have used. It works fine and has the option to supply power to the target board which is convenient.

The one small downside is it is not quite as integrated into AVR Studio. They indicated there was a way to make it fully integrated, but I never bothered. Instead I used a batch file to run the command line interface. Worked fine but meant I had to bring up a command tool to run it and see the error messages.

I have updated the list with new interests and updates.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Things are moving a little faster than I expected, and it appears that some limited quantity production will occur in June. People in the first two groups should firm up their orders (and choose their parameters) if they want to receive these early production units. If you would rather wait until July please let me know by posting here, PM or email. Your place in the list will be maintained until the end of June.

I do recommend providing me Kiu sockets. They hold the bulb well. I have industry standard sockets and a very few Osrams, but the Kiu are better. If you want me to install a Kiu socket in your regulator in June please provide it very soon.

The Hybrid SMD first article is going out today to LuxLuthor for further review. :popcorn:

For those in the SF Bay Area, I'll be bringing a couple of demo units to the San Jose gathering next Saturday. There is a thread on that meeting elsewhere.

Questions to the discussion thread, Order updates here. Thanks.

The first two groups:

Group #1
LED Astray 1-2
Roland 1-2
donn_ 3 post #22
LuxLuthor 6-9

Group #2
cnjl3 1 post #33
Lips 2
BSBG 3-4
Starlight 3 post #18

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Alan, I am confirming 5 in first run, then the other 4-5 the July batch. Will give parameters after looking at "Mutant #002." :D

Nanomiser

Enlightened
Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for your generous recognition. It's been a lot of fun collaborating on this project and I can hardly wait to see what interesting builds these regulators will go into. :)

I know I'm in for 2 regulators and I know one will be used to build an 1185 using a Kiu socket with the host setup the way you had mentioned a while back. I'm still not clear on all of the programming variables so maybe we can spend some time nailing those down. :eek: Unfortunately I am on a some what steep learning curve when it comes to configuring hot wires.

As for the second one I will be looking to use it for something capable of higher power. Sorry for the ambiguity, but I just haven't spent enough time researching my options. :shakehead

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Alan,

Thanks so much for your generous recognition. It's been a lot of fun collaborating on this project and I can hardly wait to see what interesting builds these regulators will go into. :)

I know I'm in for 2 regulators and I know one will be used to build an 1185 using a Kiu socket with the host setup the way you had mentioned a while back. I'm still not clear on all of the programming variables so maybe we can spend some time nailing those down. :eek: Unfortunately I am on a some what steep learning curve when it comes to configuring hot wires.

As for the second one I will be looking to use it for something capable of higher power. Sorry for the ambiguity, but I just haven't spent enough time researching my options. :shakehead

That's fine, I won't have parts for a few more days yet...

We can talk about it Saturday night at the CPF[SanJose] bonfire...

BTW, if you don't have bulbs you might want to go for the WA1164 instead, or the Philips 5761. Both do nicely on a 2D with 8xAA NiMH which is small and easy to feed. Lots of good choices!

Now back to our scheduled ordering. I updated the list prior to Mike's posting today, so the list is fairly current. Folks in the first two groups (see posting above) should firm up their choices as I will have some parts for some builds soon. Questions on the discussion list as usual.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Alan, I'm thinking that to complete most of order work, people mainly need to decide on which of two main "leg" sizes to get as default. Assuming you can hide extra wire, most of the 50+W Osram types will need the bipin holder nearly in contact with sled. The height of "Hybrid" #1 was perfect for WA & 5761.

Then, hopefully installing bulb/battery specific program settings is a relatively quick last step.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan, I'm thinking that to complete most of order work, people mainly need to decide on which of two main "leg" sizes to get as default. Assuming you can hide extra wire, most of the 50+W Osram types will need the bipin holder nearly in contact with sled. The height of "Hybrid" #1 was perfect for WA & 5761.

Then, hopefully installing bulb/battery specific program settings is a relatively quick last step.

I do need to address the bulb socket position. I have not really worked on that. We need a set of offsets, but there are various reflectors too that make it a mess.

My current plan is to provide the long legs and thread the sled for both SAE and Metric. The provided standoffs could be cut, or folks could use the Kiu parts. The Sled is shorter than the Kiu so it will require longer standoffs than the Kiu.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
That's fine, I won't have parts for a few more days yet...

We can talk about it Saturday night at the CPF[SanJose] bonfire...

BTW, if you don't have bulbs you might want to go for the WA1164 instead, or the Philips 5761. Both do nicely on a 2D with 8xAA NiMH which is small and easy to feed. Lots of good choices!

Now back to our scheduled ordering. I updated the list prior to Mike's posting today, so the list is fairly current. Folks in the first two groups (see posting above) should firm up their choices as I will have some parts for some builds soon. Questions on the discussion list as usual.

Thanks for reminding me. I've been so focused on home, bezels and work I almost forgot :ohgeez:; looks like my plan to spend another Saturday at the shop is fading fast.

The gathering sounds like a great venue to talk further; I'll see ye there :thumbsup:

rolltide

Newly Enlightened
Order:
- Quantity of Regulators: ................................................................................. 1
-- Standard Model Regulator: ........................................................................... 1 (if HV is not available)
-- Standard Model Regulator Kit:
-- High Voltage Model Regulator: ...................................................................... 1 (if available)
- Quantity of Osram Socket Upgrades:
- Quantity of User Supplied Sockets: ................................................................. 1 KIU socket supplied
- Quantity of Programming Adapters: ................................................................. 1
- Quantity of Spare Control Buttons: ................................................................. 1
- Quantity of USB Programmers: ....................................................................... 1
- Shipping:
- Sales Tax: <california addresses only - 8.25%>

- Total Amount:
- Paid via PayPal on (date)
- make sure to include your CPF Id and posting number in this thread in your PayPal

Last edited:

andygillis

Newly Enlightened
Still not sure about all of the options, will decide soon.

Order:
- Quantity of Regulators: 1 @ $97.00
-- Standard Model Regulator:
- Quantity of Osram Socket Upgrades:1 @ $8.00
- Quantity of User Supplied Sockets:0
- Quantity of Programming Adapter Kits:1 @ $8.00
- Quantity of USB Programmers:0
- Shipping: $7.00
- Sales Tax (CA only):
- Total: $120.00

- Total Amount: $120.00
- Paid via PayPal on (date) 7/18/09

Regulator Number 1
Regulator Model: (standard)

Bulb Data:
Bulb Type: Phillips 5761
Maximum Bulb Voltage: 7.4
Minimum Bulb Voltage: 2

Battery Management: (will compute from Chemistry, Ncells if not specified)
- Battery Chemistry: NiMh
- Number of Cells: 9
- Maximum Battery Voltage:
- Nominal Battery:
- Minimum Battery Voltage:

Socket:
Osram Socket Upgrade

Other Features: (indicate if NOT wanted or specify value)

Click to Memory Level (if not then Max)
Double click to Max Voltage
Press from off to Min voltage
Press from on to Ramp - alternates up/down (ramping feature)
Triple click to Mid Voltage (halfway between minimum and maximum voltage)
Five clicks to Lockout
Fast Soft Start: 100mS
Temperature Shutdown at: 60C
Maximum ON Timer in Minutes: Not

Last edited:

Latest posts