• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Orders - Programmable Hotwire Regulated Driver drop-in for D-M@g

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm considering making an option where I will buy Kiu kits with spare sockets to get the Kiu sockets and charge about $10-12 per Kiu socket. That's assuming he will sell the kits to me, which I suspect he will. He just does not want to sell sockets separately.

I would think that he would - surely this is what AW does for his soft start drivers?

jackolantern

Newly Enlightened
Alan,

Thanks for answering my question on another thread regarding estimating runtime.

Will definetly place order for one but still waiting for availability of other parts and more importantly trying to figure out all your offered programming options. I would gladly pay the extra cost for you to buy directly from KIU. Reading his installation directions, the kit would be wasted for me anyways. As I have no spare parts (new to these forums), the only concern would be the appropriate spacers needed to get the planned bulb (JC5033) to focus.

Steve

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
PC boards have been shipped. I should have them Friday evening. The sleds are the only missing part that I am aware of. They are due this week as well. I have ordered some socket/kiu kits - those will take a couple of weeks. The show is about to begin...

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
It appears that the following will be the first Production Wavelet:

Wave #1
Roland 1 (parameters?)(socket?)
donn_ 3? (parameters?)(sockets?)
LuxLuthor 5 (parameters?)

Above from the order post on the first page of this thread.

These are orders that have confirmed. They all need their parameters to be specified before I can finalize the build. Sockets must be available.

I confirmed that metal sleds will be arriving this week. Along with a big bill.

Payment is now due on Wave #1.

Let me know if you wish to delay some or all of your units out of wave #1.

My present plan is to begin this weekend, but I have some prep work so actual shipments may be another week or so off. Right now I have zero of the first wave that is specified so I cannot finish them yet. I will have to drop the ones that do not firm up and pay from this wave (they will retain their position in the list at this time)

Those who are in Group 2 should also firm up their specs.

Roland

Newly Enlightened
Alan B,
I editet my post (#79). Please tell me if this is correct, including KIU kit and payment details.

Starlight

Enlightened
I have edited post #18 again to include a spare pushbutton. Are you sure you wouldn't like my payment now?

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alan B,
I editet my post (#79). Please tell me if this is correct, including KIU kit and payment details.

Roland, I guess I need to figure out how much to foreign ship a programmer. And to buy one for you. Need to figure that out before we can get your final cost.

Your posting 79 looks pretty good. Interesting combination of features. Your setup will be almost as bright in lockout basic flashlight mode (7.0V) as it is in regular mode (7.2V). Press from off will do nothing, as well as triple click will do nothing. Sounds fine.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have edited post #18 again to include a spare pushbutton. Are you sure you wouldn't like my payment now?

Starlight, your post #18 looks pretty good. The only thing I don't see is shipping for the programmer which I haven't figured out yet. If you are in the continental US then add five dollars to cover that and you can paypal if you wish.

News Update - The boards arrived. They look okay, I have to mill them apart and build one up and see if everything is copacetic.

I spent all morning at the post office mailing five foreign packages. What fun.

I'm still waiting to hear from the machinist. He indicated a few days ago that he had the parts on the lathe and the mill work was next and that he would finish by the weekend... He may be working on them over the weekend. I probably won't get them until early next week unless he finishes today and I find out in time.

Even with boards and metal there's quite a lot of work for me. So they will start to trickle out, but not too quickly.

Drywolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Order:
- Quantity of Regulators: 2
--Standard Model Regulator: 1
--Standard Model Regulator Kit Plus: 1
- Quantity of Kiu Socket Upgrades 2
- Quantity of Programming Adapters: 1
- Quantity of Spare Control Buttons: 1
- Quantity and type of USB Programmers: 1 Mini USB
- Sales Tax: 22.49- Total Amount: $279.49
- Paid via PayPal on September 5, 2009

Regulator Number #1
Bulb Data:
- Bulb Type: OS64633
- Reflector diameter and type: 3" FM3X
- Bulb spacer height required:
-- 10mm works for OS64623 in 3" reflectors
- Maximum Bulb Voltage 16.5

Battery Management:
- Battery Chemistry: IMR26500
- Number of Cells: 5

Socket:
KIU upgrade

Other Features:
At least one mode must be selected, two or all three may be. Quadclick rotates between modes.
- OneLevel Mode no
- VariLevel Mode no
- MultiLevel Mode yes
-- MultiLevel ramps in even voltage steps between low and high voltages
-- Number of levels in MultiLevel Mode: 4 - 100% 70% 40% 10%
- Off-Click turns on to Memory Level or Max: - Memory
- Double click to Max Voltage: yes
- Press from off to Min voltage: ??
- Triple click to Mid Voltage: no
- Clicks to engage Lockout/Stealth SuperMode (3..10,None) ??
- Choose Lockout, Stealth or Neither SuperModes: (which?) ??
--(Stealth clicks on/off to a fixed output level while locked out) ??
- Fast Soft Start: 500 mS
- Temperature Brightness Reduction at: 50C
-- (shutdown takes place approx 10C hotter)
- No Activity Shutdown Timer in Minutes: no

Mega_07.jpg

Last edited:

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made the trip to the machinist's last night. We talked for a long time about some interesting projects, and I saw a really nice array of bezels that he's working on.

I brought home a surprisingly small box full of aluminum sleds. He made a few extra, and I bought those too. The sleds look really nice. We now have more sleds than interests/orders.

I think we have all the parts, now I need time to start building them up.

nitere

Newly Enlightened
Alan,

I was going to ask about availability but, from your last post it looks like there are some.

Please add me to the queue for two (2) regulators along with an extra switch assembly and a programming adapter. I will provide Kiu sockets. I will provide specifics when its time. Let me know when to pull the trigger.

I have been watching this development for a long time and I must say the professionalism of the whole team has been very impressive. Cheers to every contributor.

Thanks

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need to post about seeing a PM. They pop up plus are at the top of the page plus I get an email indicating I have a new one.

I see no PM yet, though, in this case.

My schedule right now is pretty full preparing for Field Day (www.ARRL.org). I will be leaving thursday and returning monday. After that we will continue working on regulators again.

BSBG

Enlightened
Alan:

My Kiu sockets arrived - if you PM me you mailing addy I will get them on the way, assuming Wave #2 is approaching soon :).

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe I ever got the PM full-beam promised.

I did send a PM to BSBG re Kiu address.

I started the regulator build yesterday. I've added a semi-kit to the price list - this is a partially built regulator. I build the regulator board, but the switch board is a kit (a pcb and two parts). The aluminum sled is included as is the pcb mounting hardware. You provide the bulb socket and socket support hardware (either SAE or Metric) and do the final assembly and program the board. See the price list in the first postings for more info.

I believe quite a few more units are available since a number of folks have not responded. It will take some time to work through the que.