P60 sized led drop-ins (part 3)

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
Does the actual product match the voltage description? I am trying to find one of these to use in my 6P, but it appears 2 RCR123's would be too much for this.

2xRCR123 (or even 2xCR123) would be too much for this one. I think your best option is to run this on 1x17670. I measured 700 mA at the tailcap on high with a slightly used AW17670 cell in my G2Z. You can estimate the runtime on a single RCR123 from this. ;)

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Looking for a drop in for my Solarforce L2. Im favoring the DX MC-E but do not want to deal with the heating issue, and for the price its almost worth it. Would I better off spending the extra bucks for the M60F? How much brighter is the DX MC-E? Looking for the brightest all flood beam. :whistle: Read through some pages on here but most of the talk was about volts and amps which is all greek to me... :(

jake25

Enlightened
The thing about MCE dropins is that, due to the heat, you can't drive them very hard. On top of that , the small reflector doesn't make for a very tight hotspot and often has doughnuts in the beam.

The best bet is to get a XPG dropin which you can drive very hard and still heatsink, also you can focus the emitter well. You might lose a bit of lumens/output but the runtime and heat are much more managable than MCE dropins.

WHT_GE8

Enlightened
Is the XP-G a dedicated flooder? How many lumens is it? And doesn't it have a greenish tint like the quarks?

tbenedict

Enlightened
2xRCR123 (or even 2xCR123) would be too much for this one. I think your best option is to run this on 1x17670. I measured 700 mA at the tailcap on high with a slightly used AW17670 cell in my G2Z. You can estimate the runtime on a single RCR123 from this. ;)

How does the beam look? I really like the beam of the stock P60, but I want to use rechargeables.

csadzuki

Newly Enlightened
How does the beam look? I really like the beam of the stock P60, but I want to use rechargeables.

Ok, I tried to take a beamshot, and I learned three things today:
  • I suck at taking beamshots :shakehead
  • I need a bigger apartment :tired:
  • Yesterday, the AW17670 cell was more discharged than I tought. Today I measured 800 mA with a freshly charged cell (4.18V open circuit voltage).

Anyway, here is the beamshot (Q3 5A drop-in on the left, P60 on the right, both on fresh cells):
cimg0670.jpg

Hope it helps! :wave:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Ok, I tried to take a beamshot, and I learned three things today:
  • I suck at taking beamshots :shakehead
  • I need a bigger apartment :tired:
  • Yesterday, the AW17670 cell was more discharged than I tought. Today I measured 800 mA with a freshly charged cell (4.18V open circuit voltage).

Anyway, here is the beamshot (Q3 5A drop-in on the left, P60 on the right, both on fresh cells):
cimg0670.jpg

Hope it helps! :wave:

Hard to tell from the over-exposed hot spot... but the color and brightness look close to the P60.

FWIW, heres DX:12501(Q2-5A) on the left and DX:3218 (Xenon LA) on the right. The limited side flood of the 12501 is caused by the shock bezel obstruction of my M2.

dscn5791u.jpg

DX:12501

DX:3218

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made my own Cree Q3-5C based P60 drop-in on Sunday.

Good amount of spill but obviously not as bright as my R2 based drop-ins.

Shining it on shrubbery shows really good colour rendition, but what I found really shows the difference in colours was lighting up terra cotta pots with the Q3 and then the R2.

rustys36

Newly Enlightened
I have had it with the DX 17593 p60 drop-in "adjustable" user interface. Is there a mod that always power the light on to the highest setting?

rustys36

Newly Enlightened
It seems that I remember a comment from years ago on the DX 17593...that if you moved one of the wires it would defeat the adjustable feature and provide a high level output only. I have tried searching CPF and the web for the mod without luck.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
well on of the exposedchips regulates modes for sure...search for the thread on modyfying the Dx 15880 baord in the electronics forum, if you need to know how-to

Fizz753

Newly Enlightened
Greetings.
List has been updated, prices & links fixed etc. Also added the Battery Junction and Kaidomain 10064 / 9770 dropins.
Please let me know about anything else as I have not had a lot of time to keep up on things the last few months. :)

Flash_25296

Newly Enlightened
I just wanted to say that if you purchase the Cree MC-E LED 3-Mode 410-Lumen Drop-in Module w/Copper Heatsink Base from DX plan on buying another reflector. The reflector that comes with this module creates a terrible set of rings. I purchased this as well as the Cree Q5 LED Drop-in Module (3.7V~18V Input) and when I switched reflectors the rings are virtually non-existent I also tested with my Deree CL1H OP reflector and also very good performance with no rings. If you are going to spend $24 bucks on a MC-E P60 dropin its worth the extra few bucks for a good reflector.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe....indeed it is ringy and it is Orange peel too! But according to my tests with Cree OP amd smooth reflectors the original reflector still has the tightest spot...