Pandemic supply chain in your area

Devildude

Enlightened
I was out yesterday shopping and noticed no paper towels nor Puffs tissues. Plenty of meat on hand. Myself I picked up flour and sugar, I have plenty of yeast so all good on baking aspects. Plenty of TP in the stores right now, hopefully no shortages this time around.

Poppy

Flashaholic
My daughter went food shopping yesterday, and again today to pick up things that weren't available at the store she went to previously.
The stores were pretty well stocked, but she said, there were a lot of people shopping, and everyone had very FULL shopping carts. There wasn't a single person with just a couple of things in the cart at check-out.

Pandemic stocking up? OR Thanksgiving prep? Don't know. Maybe a little of both.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just went before work to get some necessities (coffee, Good & Plenty) and noticed the toilet paper aisle was full. Maybe I should go back after work and stock up. They still have the "limit 2" signs up.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Friend in Atlanta says the tp aisles are wiped clean...

While I'm tempted to load up, I restocked a few months ago and find myself almost lousy with the stuff so I imagine that I'll just wait out this latest kerfuffle like I did last time.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Toilet paper is baaaaaaaaack. Lots of it. Paper towels too. But where are the canned lima beans?

Mrs Fixer asked me why I keep buying 12 rolls each week. "We still have 64 rolls from the spring" she said.
"Only 64?" I responded……

Poppy

Flashaholic
Just came back from shopping.
The store was well stocked, including things that were missing first time around.

TP and paper towels, hand sanitizer, and soaps (no lysol) frozen foods, including a large variety of pizza were all available.

Of course the two things in particular I wanted though. Rice a roni (chicken), and Classico Vodka sauce, were not on the shelves. Pasta-roni, yes, and hamburger helper, but no rice-a-roni.

I think Stop and Shop may have stopped carrying the Classico Vodka sauce, they have other Classico sauces, but not Vodka. Unfortunately, that is the only brand my grandson will eat. Next time I'll have to try Shoprite.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I swear we are still using the same pack from the springtime. A relative was shopping back then so I asked them to grab a pack. Got super size single ply rolls. Have _NEVER_ seen stuff last this long.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swear we are still using the same pack from the springtime. A relative was shopping back then so I asked them to grab a pack. Got super size single ply rolls. Have _NEVER_ seen stuff last this long.

That's because wiping your behind with it is like sitting on broken glass.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
around here pine combs are a hot item . people climb trees and get them before they even fall. they sell for almost 90 cents per pine comb

Poppy

Flashaholic

That's because wiping your behind with it is like sitting on broken glass.
That's funny.

We've been using Charmin, or Kirkland (Costco brand) they are extra thick, and require fewer layers of paper than single ply paper.
I guess it was when I sent the boys in to do a little shopping that we ended up with a few rolls of Scott single layer "safe for septic" rolls. They are just a little better than just using your bare hand and then washing it. ... Viking days!

Honestly, I use more than is needed of the Scott's, just so I can get through the roll, and use the more heavy duty brands.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been ordering one particular food item online as it's always been hard to find in local stores. Whenever I order it from the Rainforest Place, I buy enough of it to last for a month or two.

During the initial wave of the pandemic in the spring, they turned on an anti-hoarding algorithm which limited the number of packages that I could buy at a time. Ok, fair enough; I don't want to be a jerk about this. During the summer they lifted that restriction, but sometime recently they appear to have turned it on again.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nearly every business in my area has a sign looking for workers,, some are so desperate they offer huge singing bonuses.
You drive down the highway & there are billboards with businesses looking to hire.

That & 70 gigantic cargo ships unable to unload containers in California.

Supply chain 'problem' is now an excuse (noun)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been noticing minor shortages of some food items in stores lately, however all of the stores in my area have truckloads of halloween candy. :rolleyes:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Nearly every business in my area has a sign looking for workers,, some are so desperate they offer huge singing bonuses.
You drive down the highway & there are billboards with businesses looking to hire.

That & 70 gigantic cargo ships unable to unload containers in California.

Supply chain 'problem' is now an excuse (noun)
And Southwest Airlines is having "weather problems". Of coarse businesses are looking for workers. They are treating their current and former ones unfairly. If they put an honest ad for workers out, it would look like this:
Now hiring scapegoats to replace the ones we just fired. Looking for workers willing to anger potential customers by denying some of them entry. Must be willing to tolerate being spit on and yelled at by people that may have COVID. May be sued, harassed, or physically attacked. Must be willing to deny entry even to family members that don't comply with our rules. People with anger issues need not apply.

Would you want to work if you knew that's what you had to look forward to? Every job now is like working in lost luggage at the airport. Everything is your fault. People can only take so much before they give up and quit.

Because of current requirements for work and entry into businesses, the relationship between employer and employee and between business and customer is broken. You can't have a business succeed if you anger your workforce and customer base. This won't end well for the supply chain.

These supply chain and hiring issues are self inflicted by businesses to avoid penalties and are the cause of what is now being called the Great Resignation.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Realistically, even if you take away the covid related stuff, these jobs were awful by any reasonable standard. Back-breaking work, poor working conditions, low pay, little chance for any real advancement. People stuck them out because employers brain-washed them for years into thinking they were "lucky" to have any job. Now people finally woke up, and it's a workers market for the first time in my adult life. Not just for lousy jobs, but even for jobs requiring more skill. Work from home is no longer a perk. Many employees would rather quit their jobs if it means a return to the office. Can't blame them. Commutes are a major time sink, cost lots of money, and give lots of stress. They're getting back 10 or 15 hours of their lives each week. Many will even take lower pay if it means continuing to work from home.

Ultimately we'll come out of this better. Seeing that even higher pay isn't attracting enough people, I think many of these jobs will be automated as soon as possible. Fast food is already doing some of that. Truck driving is next on the list. Many hospitality positions will likely follow as soon as robots and AI can do these jobs. We'll be better for it. Costs will drop. And when people work it'll be in jobs which have much better conditions. We'll also "pandemic-proof" the supply chain to some extent. The more automation, the less the supply chain will crash the next time a pandemic hits. Essential functions of society should be automated as soon as humanly possible.