Pandemic supply chain in your area

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, the price of bacon hasn't concerned me in years. Once it passed $1.99 a pound on sale that was too steep for me, and I stopped buying it.

As for oil, in theory OPEC could pick up the slack to keep prices from going into orbit. Whether or not they'll do that is an open question.
In theory, pigs could grow wings and fly and get chopped up when they fly into helicopters causing it to rain bacon. Doesn't mean there's any chance it'll happen. Why are we relying on those who want to kill us for our fuel? Are we so determined to save the planet from global warming we're giving the people who want to blow it up a monopoly on oil? Sorry to rant. I'm just tired of these high prices and the decisions made that just make things worse.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Bacon was $10 a lb. at Stater Bros. Did pigs become an endangered species since the last time I went shopping? Wonder what it will be like after tomorrow when Russia's economy collapses when the market opens. Things could get really bad fast for gas prices if they decide to use sanctions/SWIFT to go after Russian oil. Might be a good time to fill up your tank.
Stop and Shop, a large chain around here had bacon on sale this week. Actually it has been going on and off sale pretty frequently.

1646048516334.png

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Notice they "downsized" the package. $3.33 for 12 oz = $4.44/lb. I guess that's not a horrible price by today's standards, although too steep for me. I was buying precooked bacon from Amazon for a while when I saw it for about $10 for 10.5 oz. 10.5 oz is equivalent to about 5 pounds uncooked. Now it's at least twice that.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
In theory, pigs could grow wings and fly and get chopped up when they fly into helicopters causing it to rain bacon. Doesn't mean there's any chance it'll happen. Why are we relying on those who want to kill us for our fuel? Are we so determined to save the planet from global warming we're giving the people who want to blow it up a monopoly on oil? Sorry to rant. I'm just tired of these high prices and the decisions made that just make things worse.
Just like with these other high prices we're seeing, we can attack the problem from the supply side (make more), or the demand side (use less).

Keep in mind commodities like oil are sold on a global market. Even if the US produced twice as much as it uses, that won't mean prices will come down if world demand is high. I hope this crisis gets the world to tackle the demand side. "Climate change" is far from the only reason to do this. In fact, I don't even mention that when discussing getting off oil with people. Besides seeming to trigger some people, I can find more immediate benefits to reducing oil use. Freedom from energy price shocks is one of them. Lower cancer rates would be another. Better to start another thread on this if you want than to discuss it here.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Better to start another thread on this if you want than to discuss it here.
Honestly, I wish we could. I'm having a harder time not talking about this stuff as it gets more interjected into our daily lives and has real world costs at the grocery store and the gas station. It's like we are trying to avoid talking about anything considered political, but it affects our jobs, and our food and gas supplies and prices (our kitchen table issues). With talking about all the price hikes in stores and gas spikes, we are ignoring the elephant in the room, the cause of these price hikes. Well now it seems we have a stampeding room full of elephants. Supply chain issues, coronavirus, high gas prices, high food prices, Urea shortage, computer chip shortage, mandate issues, Canada, Ukraine, Russia. It just keeps piling on. And we can't talk about it because it's considered political and someone's bound to get offended. Did anyone notice a certain someone threatened to use nukes yesterday? There are lots of things to discuss. Just not sure we can.

Empath

Flashaholic
An advisement:

The thread survives when on the topic of "pandemic-supply-chain-in-your-area". It ceases when converted to a war-oil-monetary-political-thread.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
At my work we have had lots of issues with certain supplies so we've figured out alternative products to widen the road we're widening. But it's strange some of the items in short supply. As it turns out it's items from overseas that are not to be found. The stuff made in the US is now starting to show up again or was never in short supply. What started out as pandemic related is no longer the case.

Meanwhile my local grocery store no longer looks like one in Soviet Russia in the 1980's but instead looks about the same as it looks on any Super Bowl Sunday. Holes in products here and there but overall well stocked.

Poppy

Flashaholic
At my work we have had lots of issues with certain supplies so we've figured out alternative products to widen the road we're widening. But it's strange some of the items in short supply. As it turns out it's items from overseas that are not to be found. The stuff made in the US is now starting to show up again or was never in short supply. What started out as pandemic related is no longer the case.

Meanwhile my local grocery store no longer looks like one in Soviet Russia in the 1980's but instead looks about the same as it looks on any Super Bowl Sunday. Holes in products here and there but overall well stocked.
That sounds like a good thing!
Years ago an engineer friend of mine told me that the corporation he worked for started getting pipe fittings and valves from a China supplier, because they were cheaper. After a few years of "savings" they noted that valves or fittings that NEVER failed in the past, were now failing. Undoubtedly they were purchasing inferior products, and overall there were no savings because the inferior products caused disruptions in productions, and damage, and needed to be replaced. Eventually the decision was made to use USA made fittings.

Years later another engineer explained to me that made in the USA had a definition that is deceptive. Machined parts might be machined in a foreign country, but shipped here and assembled here, and that MIGHT be defined as Made in the USA, particularly if it was shipped by a USA owned shipping company.

IMO we need to bring manufacturing back to America. We need to make products from start to finish. Japan's Admiral Yamamoto was quoted as saying after the attack on Pearl Harbor... "I have seen America's industrial might. I am afraid that we have awakened a sleeping giant!"

bykfixer

Flashaholic
We're just glad products slated to arrive in March showed up in January. When the pandemic hit switches were turned off due to lack of demand on the east coast. So projects that were in motion were halted in numerous states. Summer of 021 many cranked back up, and add to the backlog all of the new projects and manufacturers couldn't produce things fast enough.
Not sure why the foriegn made stuff isn't arriving. Perhaps those are tarrif related? Nevertheless it's just good to see the train in motion again.

turbodog

Flashaholic
In the world wars, there were shortages of various things... some of which worked out after time, but a lot were alleviated (and made better & cheaper) by finding new sources, methods, etc for making items. This will eventually sort itself out.

scout24

Flashaholic
Still have a few ration books from WWII that belonged to my great grandparents and grandparents. We've had some minor blips by comparison. They had just come out of the Great Depression though, and doing without wasn't a foreign concept by any means. Hardier stock.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I stocked up. Thanx tho.

If only it came in 5 gallon buckets……

It's like when Mrs Fixer's favorite french onion dip got scare we stocked up. Last week in the store they were out again. She says "uh oh, we're down to 5 cans…dratz". lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I am surprised we're not yet seeing on the shelves nightime sleep meds for the common covid strains..
Coming soon, covid pills next to the night time stuffy head fever so you can rest medicine.
That is until the kids firgure you can get a buzz by smoking it, then it'll be stashed behind the counter with cigarettes, racey magazines and Trac II razor refills.

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
Recently new and used cars are costing a premium price due to computer chip shortages. I'm thinking about replacing my car, which is getting a little long in the tooth, but I don't want to pay a premium due to the shortage, only to have it dramatically drop in price once there is no shortage.

So I tried to google information on the chip shortage and I came across this cnet.com article. It's 3 months old, but I think still current. Very informative for me ( who knew very little on the subject). Its a little long, but I think a good read.

It also makes a lot of points about.... manufacture at home, that I fully agree with.

Latest posts