Paranoid About Using Flashlights Outdoors (in neighborhoods, cities, etc)?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Obviously this joker is a CPF member and identified me for (my ridiculous CPF posts and) what I was doing at the public beach with my flashlights before I was banned (the due process civil rights violation I mentioned).

Do you feel strangers are often talking about you behind your back?

Tre_Asay

Enlightened
This is of a little concern to me because I often go running in a greenbelt at night, it is privately owned property but there are walking trails that are open to the public.

While there is quite a bit of light pollution, in fact enough light to see the trail on a cloudy night, I prefer using at least a little bit of night due to loose barbed wire, spiders, snakes, etc being in the area. My concern is less about being seen by houses and more by being targeted by the local population of homeless and gangs. I guess when I shine 800+ lumens :shrug: to light up the whole little valley people might think I am a cop or something.

hotlight

Enlightened
Maybe a slight paranoia...I think I am just more aware and prepared for police interaction.

Best way to avoid unwanted contact, I think, would be to do your "testing" and leave ASAP.
The person peeping out of their windows wouldn't have a chance to call the police..and if they did, you would be out of there. Who knows, the cops might investigate the caller for a prank call, diversionary call, or even mental evaluation.(you know, looking out windows at night for people/things that are "after" them--seeing bright lights/hallucinating lol)

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you feel strangers are often talking about you behind your back?

Hi, StarHalo. Stop following me. Just kidding. Yes, at times I have the distinct impression that strangers know me, but all that is necessary for that to be true is to have a reputation. It could be that I'm infamous. That's better than famous, right? Whether in public or private, I am a perfect gentleman, considerate, respectful and polite. I make mistakes at times, and say inappropriate things, so I say as little as possible to strangers. I do not behave as though I own the place, with entitlement, but instead always have others on my mind when interacting with them. When put on the spot, and one must decline an offer out of decency, there is no good outcome if that offer came from an attractive individual that is quite used to others recognizing their attractiveness, and getting their way. I have found that its true that some cannot take 'no' for an answer without feeling insulted or hurt, but for my part, I try my best not to hurt anyone, or allow myself to be hurt. Some have said I am arrogant, and I used to be, but now I'm perfect. Again, little tiny joke there. There is a vast chasm of misunderstanding between arrogance and delusions of grandeur... and in my best moods I am guilty of the latter. But enough about you, lets get back on topic and talk about me. :p

No, lets get back on topic and talk about paranoia vs. intolerance.

Kurt Cobain said:
Just because you're not paranoid, don't mean they're not after you

Feeling a little paranoid is natural. Being completely oblivious to others is pathological.

Last edited:

bdogps

Enlightened
Luckily I don't have to fret about using torches where I live. Bicyclists use their lights all the time at night and most people are use to them. As other have stated, don't shine them on people's faces, don't shine them on people's property, and don't shine them on animals. I wonder if what time at night matters when it comes to using your torch? 9pm vs 12am?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ive felt like OP before but learned the capabilities of my lights and especially learned to point my lights towards the ground most of the time in front of me instead of pointing for example my SR52UT at any of my neighbors houses and accidentally totally light them up. Im careful near or along roads with my blinding lights at night. Most of the time when I see a car coming at night Ill either point the light straight down at my feet which most of the time lights me up completely without pointing outwards and blinding a passing driver. Only when a car is driving erratically and obviously doesnt see me do I raise the bezel to where I cannot be missed.

Lots of bicyclists around me as well. Almost every one of them have a cheap evilbay xxxxFire bike light bolted on they are actually almost acceptably bright at least I can see them coming. There is a large park near me as well that is perfect for testing lights. Unfortunately the park is closed at dark and the cops cruise through the parks parking lot once every hour or so. As badly as I want to take my tripods and camera and lights to the park to test at night I know it would likely get me at least questioned by the county cops. Be pretty hard to say Im just passing through when Ive got two tripods set up, a camera, laser range finder etc.

I live along the Potomac River outside DC. I remember when I first got my M3XS-UT Javelot I really wanted to see what it could do so I took it out along the George Washington Parkway that runs parallel to the river stopping at little rest areas to step out the car to blast the Javelot across the water. I eventually got to Old Town Alexandria a very affluent and historic town right on the river. Made the mistake of trying to take beam shots across the water within 30 feet of rows of multi million dollar town houses.

Within 5 minutes I was face to face with 4 Alexandria cops with their shitty Surefires accusing me of casing the big rich town houses. My camera was rested on top of a deck pier and was clearly pointed out away from the houses and out over the water. They were young cops so I busted their balls a bit after they searched me. They didnt believe anybody would be taking photos of a flashlight beam I simply said "look" pointed the Javelot out over the river and turned it on high they were speechless it was funny. I made fun of their Surefires put my gear in my big pockets and told them to have a pleasant evening and walked off.

Incand-Collector

Newly Enlightened
What other people may think is also one of my main concerns when using flashlights outdoors.
I live in a sub-urban area now, and have spent many years in a more rural area, too.

Childhood memories, still valuable today:
I remember my grandfather telling me as a kid, when we were walking about 200 yards
on the pavement to a small shop after dark, to always shine my flashlight on the sidewalk.
Never onto the street at cars as this could possibly distract them.
We were using plastic incand flashlights with two alkaline batteries, nothing brighter than a MiniMag or 2C/D incand
when defocused.
I heed this advice to the present day, especially considering the power of modern flashlights.

My mother once told me when I was playing around with a flashlight inside the house, which I did a lot when I was young,
not to shine it at the closed curtains after dark.
Her concern was, our neighbors might call the police, thinking of a burglar inside our house. :eek:oo:
When handling flashlights I still avoid doing this in rooms, where neighbors could
get the impression:'Oh, there's someone with a flashlight inside. Thats suspicious, isnt't it?'

Thoughts on the social acceptance of flashlights:
I have been walking in our neighborhood with a flashlight quite a few times and I am leaning towards
the use of incandescent flashlights in areas with other people and cars around.
The main reason is that LEDs might have a blinding, or at least distracting effects on those coming towards me.
I feel better, more confident, when being seen with a warm tinted incandescent flashlight,
because more people are used to it compared to LED.

I think it's acceptable to shine a flashlight into very dark spots briefly, where a robber could hide.
If it is directly along your path you always have a good excuse.
Large objects on private property may obstruct vision, compromising safety in the dark.
Therefore it would in my opinion be acceptable to shine a lights spillbeam into a dark area next to a bush or
waste container directly next to the pavement even if this means the light hits a few meters of private ground.

Doing such things as standing still and generously lighting up a nice looking house with 1000+ lumens
to behold it, is the most obvious no-no, of course. :ohgeez:

I have found my ideal flashlight for walking around outdoors to be the incandescent MagCharger.
It's a pity they seem to have discontinued it in favor of the LED version.
With the beam focused to flood, it meets my expectations of nicely lighting up the sidewalk
for a few meters without being blindingly bright.
(Ok, it has beam artifacts and donut hole, but i can live with that very well.)
The halogen bulb renders the colors of plants beautifully.
I haven't had a negative reaction of any sort to this light when walking past other people.

How you hold a light in the most socially acceptable way is disputable.:thinking:
'Carrying' a light at or below hip height might in some cases be blinding as
one could look into the reflector from the front.
For a light not to distract or blind, neither spot nor spill shall shine upon anyones face. :laughing:

I have experimented holding the MagCharger resting on my shoulder,
shining downwards in a steep angle in front of my feet.
This way I have very good control of where the floody beam goes.
It may look weird to others, but there is less chance to look into the source of light from the front.

Another point is about animals, I shine a light into a natural environment very seldom and if so, only for a second to
see how far the beam goes, considering birds, squirrels or deer being disturbed by my light.
With intense throwers, I fear a bird could fly through the beam and may crash-land due to shock:mecry:.

Flashlights are nice, I love collecting them, but using them in the dark outdoors always reminds me of
my responsibility towards others and animals. Minimum impact principle, so to say.
It may be over-cautious in some points but better safe than sorry.
Finally attesting myself being quite a bit paranoid about using flashlights outdoors. ;)

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
my main light is a Nitecore MH20. It does what I need a light to do out to about 25-30 yards I always have it on me. People where I am are some of the worst drivers in the country. Just checking my mailbox after dark has the MH20 out on full blast aimed at my feet. The amount of drivers that dont see the 990 lumens totally illuminating me get the light aimed up off the ground a bit towards them to get their attention as I try to get out of the way. All but a few of my lights are cool white in other words they are bright as hell and look "official" ie a LEO light. Gets their attention right quick when that beam comes off the ground in their direction.

The new Maglite 3rd Gen XML2 LED lights are incredible general use lights that put out a bright non neutral LEO looking beam. The new Mags run for hours on high its amazing for how little they cost. That and I can use the Magss as a baton should I need to. Should I be outdoors at dark for more than a few minutes walking out a hundred yards or so then damn the photon torpedoes sometimes Ill grab my 2400 lumen EagTac MX25L2 Turbo head and turn night into day. Animals always lock up and freeze in the beam of my lights but at least I know they are there. Lots of woods around my suburbs going out to the river. I usually have an EDC light around 1000 lumens to momentary press on and investigate whatever. I dont like anything dimmer than my 524 lumen 3rd Gen Mag.

There is a local county ordinance here which pretty much says I can blast music and be annoying with electronics till 11pm so hey Im not out to suddenly blind people and cause accidents Im just making my way with superior lighting with a bit of common sense. I wish I had a lot of land to explore at night of my own but its tight here in the suburbs. The ignorant local bike riders with their cheap but bright LED bike lights have their lights pointed directly out forward easily blinding oncoming people cars etc. There are still a few crime ridden areas within walking distance of my house I usually have crooks that live there passing by my house to get there. Sometimes theyll be on foot and drunk and decide to use my lawn as a bathroom at 1 in the morning they get lit up stumble around and leave.

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I think the only thing unusual about using a flashlight is that so few people do! If it's dark, I have a light. And if I need more light than the environment provides, I use the flashlight. I live in suburbia and no one has ever called the cops on me when I was out walking, running, or performing any other task at night.

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thread reminds of the Watergate scene on Forrest Gump.
988c8c940e0b1221c9d1e26e273eb78d.jpg

Last edited:

186kmps

Newly Enlightened
I try to be considerate when using my lights,after all, we want more people with us,not against us. I don't have much trouble controlling throw beam lights. I do notice when walking my dogs in our apt. complex,controlling my flood flashlights can be tough. Especially if people are walking around.Time to ramp down!:shakehead

Sambob

Newly Enlightened
Tell them you're trying to make a youtube video? I go outside all the time and use my flashlight I live In the city and thanks to the amount of tree's lining my block and blocking out the street lights you need a flashlight but, I see a lot of dog walker's using them too.
I think people maybe more concerned If It's like 1,2,3 In the morning, you may want to check to see If those recreation field's are only open for certain hour's like city parks are I personally was never to worried about using my flashlight and what people might think.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think overall all that with power comes responsibility, and when you shine a bright light somewhere you are kind of making that area Your Business, so be mindful of what you're making your business. No big deal, just be mindful and responsible.

186kmps

Newly Enlightened
Yeah,most people end up saying what a good idea it is that I am using it anyway.I live on the outskirts of a high crime area.I also am a night custodian at a nearby school district,and I am usually alone. My flashlights give me a feeling of safety. Even if it is a false sense of security.When I leave a school alone late at night, and walk to my car I light up the whole parking lot. At least I`'ll see them coming!

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
No. But there is an exception. If a trail brings me near a house and I am hiking late will avoid hitting the home with my light just out of courtesy.

sticktodrum

Enlightened
I usually drop a contact lens outside on Friday nights, so people know I'm out there with a few thousand lumens checking in trees and far away buildings.

Canuke

Enlightened
As I acquired a number of 500+ lumen lights over the past eight years, I found that the best way to test them in the suburbs was to shine them up and down the street along the same general direction as car headlights would be (with no actual cars visible, of course) and to only do so briefly, thereby mimicking said headlights to any casual observer.

In my case, I've encountered more potential issues when testing cameras. I'm in Toluca Lake now, so while I probably look like a film student - not exactly unheard of in these parts - there's also the "paparazzi" factor. I did have one neighbor ask if I were one (he was kidding).

xzel87

Enlightened
Not an issue over here. Never felt paranoid about it before either.

Just follow the advice given by the above posters; don't light up people's houses, don't shine in other people's windows, don't shine at oncoming cars (unless to get their attention).

In fact, recently I feel that my lights don't get used enough on a daily basis. I'm not sure about others, but using them as a nightlight doesn't really count as really 'using' them.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
This topic reminds me of an older (but still classic) CPF thread that some here might find interesting:
Flashaholics possibly in more danger during an emergency

Along the lines of the current topic, thoughts like these have prompted me towards using medium/low modes when out&about now, i.e. the minimum illumination required for general outdoor use. No sense in attracting undesired attention.
Edit: Of course, 'nuclear mode' is still available on-demand, as needed. :devil:

Last edited: