Petzl NAO - high-tech headlamp review.

rpg1966

Newly Enlightened
Custom Three (3) Panasonic cell 18650 3400mAhs with LCD that displays battery meter and charge percentage. Primary single, but modified cell pack is retained so this is essentially a four (4) 18650 cell modified Petzl Nao. LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can go to hell and back and still have light for days with this bad boy. :devil:

Hi ThreeStripes, this looks fantastic. Are you able to give us all a bit more detail on how you've connected everything?

Tengo

Newly Enlightened
Greetings, could someone please tell me can I extract the pcb from the original battery and transfer to a protected cell 18650? Thanks!

Tengo

Newly Enlightened
You can, but better transfer it to unprotected cell.

..and please pardon my ignorance, why unprotected cell is better and could you to point me to the right direction for the answer if answering is too time consuming? I understand time is valuable, thanks!

Tengo

Newly Enlightened
Hi there, just for the sake of experiment, I had transferred the pcb to a 18650 sony 3.7v 3700mah unprotected cell last night, connected to the Nao, it flashed for 2 seconds then stopped and it just didn't lit up anymore! I was scared that I've done something wrong and it burned the Nao. Fortunately, I re-soldered pcb back to the original Nao cell and it works again! Phew..!

stuba

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

just wanted to share my setup with 3400mAh battery, with battery holder. Original idea to swap batteries does not really work, cause new battery is not recognised correctly. I found work around to keep spare batteries inside external USB battery case. If i first connect USB to my NAO and then change battery it does seem to work like it should. I really have not swapped batteries on the trails. I have had spare Petzl battery pack and it have gave extra time I needed. Anyway this 3400mAh battery seems to give bit more than 20% more time (battery might be getting old). It is better than nothing is moderate lighting levels are used.

This mod was made before extension cord was available. Now I might start to build 2-battery pack, but this is good enough for now.

IMG_0125.jpg

hongchai90

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

just wanted to share my setup with 3400mAh battery, with battery holder. Original idea to swap batteries does not really work, cause new battery is not recognised correctly. I found work around to keep spare batteries inside external USB battery case. If i first connect USB to my NAO and then change battery it does seem to work like it should. I really have not swapped batteries on the trails. I have had spare Petzl battery pack and it have gave extra time I needed. Anyway this 3400mAh battery seems to give bit more than 20% more time (battery might be getting old). It is better than nothing is moderate lighting levels are used.

This mod was made before extension cord was available. Now I might start to build 2-battery pack, but this is good enough for now.

IMG_0125.jpg

Great ... Appreciate if you can show some picture here as need some idea to mod mine as the batteries life span wasn't lasting already .

yyatan

Newly Enlightened
hello guys!

i just bought my petzl nao 2 and love it!

I ask my self how to extend the battery time and realise that when you use the pc program when the lampe is connected to, you can
change the lampe configuration and test your changing.

At that time the lamp is in charging mode and in use at the same time so-------- is it possible to hack de lamp to be possible to use the lamp during charging the batt???

That way i could connect the normal battery to an extend battery (like an anker) and use the lampe at the same time!!!!

thx for your answer!!!

ZoKoNAO

Newly Enlightened
Hello friends,

Does anybody can suggest me, because "diode type upgading" NAO,
regarding the availability of the two latest CREE and NICHIA diodes, what do you suggest:

CREE XP-G2 S4 2B (Approximated light output: 626-655lumens @ 1.5A 25°C Color temperature: 5700-6100K Tint: Cool white (Whiter than "1" tints))
or
NICHIA NVSW219CT R8000 D260 (5000K, 5step MacAdam Elipse Typical 83CRI, Approximated light output: 260-280lumens @ 0.7A 25°C Low thermal resistance, Low forward voltage, Tint: Neutral White)

NICHIA NVSW219CT specifications I have found here:

http://www.ledrise.com/files/nvsw219c_datenblatt.pdf

... but nowhere I can find the specification for CREE XP-G2 S4.

CREE has more lumens, NICHIA has better CRI... I do not know.

HELP :eek:

Last edited:

ZoKoNAO

Newly Enlightened
Cree only - but only if you have the first 350 lumen version of the NAO - in other case it's not worth the risk.

Respected Szemhazai,

I am very grateful for reply directly from the creator of this tread :)

Otherwise, I have both version of the lamp, 350LM and 575LM, and I have already modified 1st version with Cree XP-G2 R2 emmiter.
Never enough wish to push the limits and try something new is the reason for my last question, especially because it costs USD 6 - USD 8 and one hour of electronic work.
But, because I am not sure and do not have experience about what I have asked, what to choose, as I said, I am grateful for (your) help and replay, I really appriciate that, truly.

If you have time and wish to write something more about difference between that two diodes, and if you are introduced about that, I suppose that your kindly reply would be of help to me and other here.

Best regards.

Last edited:

petros999

Newly Enlightened
Hi,i bought NAO2 and i had a little accident,i think.It doesnt work and the clear plastic infront of the wide beam led is dimpled.I had it in my bag and accidentally maybe opened and the high temperature caused it to stop working.What can i do now?Its officially dead?

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
Trailrunningreview had some info about the new Petzl Nao+, but in Spanish so I translated it with google--

30 years ago that the lords of the well-known brand Petzl are creating headlamps, today we'll talk about one of his great fabrications Petzl NAO +. Listed in the Headlamps Performance range, which they define as a range of intelligent ultra-powerful flashlights and others as they adapt automatically to the ambient lighting.

The Petzl NAO + is the renewal of the Petzl NAO, this powerful and intelligent headlamp has an output of 750 lumens We almost could light New York! These 750 lumens promise to be an indispensable tool for night activities like trail running, mountain biking, hiking, etc.

The novelty of this version, the Petzl NAO +, is the ability of this to connect to the new application of MyPetzl Light mobile, where the athlete can see in real time the percentage of battery that detracts or even modify items and profiles of the same .

In short, the Petzl NAO + promises to make life easier in those hours of maximum tension as are the hours of night, offering the Reactive Lighting technology, adaptability of light to environmental conditions and also this version incorporates the synchronization of the instrument to the app MyPetzl Light Mobile, which will allow us to view and modify all functions with a simple click!

hongchai90

Newly Enlightened
Any more info on the New Petzl Nao coming out? I this video, but it's in Spanish https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GmNDWBAF2s#t=10 . From the video it looks like behind the Nao on the wall is 750 so maybe the new Naos wil be 750 lumens? Just curious , thanks.

Hi Bro, yea ... not much info as they didn't mention about the battery life .. but the lumens confirm is 750lumen, and battery pack with build-in red blinking lights ..

HairNutz

Newly Enlightened
I have a Nao 2 on the way. Didnt realize a bluetooth model will be available next month but oh well.

I too have been trying to determine if I can use 18650 batteries to increase runtime.

Has anyone tried using a USB Y-Cable / Splitter in order to connect 2 of the Petzl battery packs in parallel? Ideally I'd prefer to be able to either use a larger capacity 18650 but Im thinking that when the need arises, I could use their belt clip / extension and have 2 of their factory battery packs when longer runtime is needed.

I havent received mine yet but from what I understand, you can program the battery pack with your custom settings. Im assuming there is more than just + and - connections leaving the USB plug. I then assume I may have to clip a wire or otherwise disable that part of the 2nd battery so the headlamp only gets its 'settings' from one battery? Just a few guesses without actually having one in my hands.

Any input appreciated.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
HairNutz, in my opinion it won't work - between USB port and the battery there is charge control circuit so the best idea is to use power bank that will provide 5V for the USB.

Currently, in my opinion, the best option* is to remove whole electronics from the battery pack and connect battery holder directly to the headlamp wires - the head also have the protection circuit based on voltage control (it's quite precisely set for 3,0V and it's switching to the rescue mode so you can use even unprotected cells). The benefit of this solution is that the lamp will use the whole capacity of the cell that you are using - instead of "calculated capacity" used by Petzl's electronics.

*trail tested on UTMB nad Westen States HairNutz, in my opinion it won't work - between USB port and the battery there is charge control circuit so the best idea is to use power bank that will provide 5V for the USB.

Currently, in my opinion, the best option* is to remove whole electronics from the battery pack and connect battery holder directly to the headlamp wires - the head also have the protection circuit based on voltage control (it's quite precisely set for 3,0V and it's switching to the rescue mode so you can use even unprotected cells). The benefit of this solution is that the lamp will use the whole capacity of the cell that you are using - instead of "calculated capacity" used by Petzl's electronics.

IMG_20161005_112221767.jpg

*trail tested on UTMB nad Western States :devil: