Petzl NAO - high-tech headlamp review.

clockclimb

Newly Enlightened
Szemhazai - Thanks for your excellent instructions on making molex connectors etc. Very useful, I have made a number of batteries with connectors. l've even made a battery pack that plugs into a power jack added to the bottom of the usb case. I see that you added your 100k thermistor internally. When you change batteries how do you keep the headlamp from giving you low battery warning flashes? The headlamp also reduces power when it thinks the battery should be low. The only way I know to avoid the problem is to not have the 100k thermistor in place. Then the headlamp thinks I'm using disposable AAA batteries. Thanks, Jordan

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would seem very unlikely that a controller/driver designed to run from up to 4.2V would die with an input voltage of 3x fully charged NiMH cells, or even from AA alkalines.

If someone was being ultra-paranoid, it wouldn't be hard to wire a schottky diode in series with a 3-cell pack to waste a few hundred millivolts.

As far as strings of CR123 cells go, maybe especially in the case of emergency usage with long-stored cells, there's some argument for avoiding series use for safety reasons with mismatched cells, possibly particularly in the case where there is no specifically-tuned low voltage cutoff circuitry.

sirpetr

Newly Enlightened
5000mAh is not real number, its false. Highest cell now available is 3400mAh Panasonic NCR18650B. But you can use two of them and wire them in parallel, but then you also need new battery case to accomodate 2 cells.

zirit

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the answer. I will buy the panasonic battery.

I have some questions:

1-To work the new battery I need to install the thermistor in the connector plate?

2-Where this piece is connected? Http: // www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/0039000160/WM9661CT-ND/3904983

3-Is It necessary to buy this piece? Http: // www.fasttech.com/products/1030/10003003/1225101-wh-18650b-2a-protective-circuit-board-for-18650-re

Or is it necessary extracted from the 2.300 mah Petzl battery and install in the new 3.400 mah?

Thanks and excuse me for the inconveniences.

zirit

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for your answer Tsellers!

I will buy the battery that you indicate me.

A last question, how can I connect the cables inside the battery? One in the positive pole, and the other in the negative pole? And the third cable?

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
As you can't really solder to those batteries, and magnets will slide off, probably have to insert it into a carrier. Although FT does also sell carriers with protection circuits built into them (which in turn would allow you to use the unprotected version of the NCR18650B), I assume that is not going to be an option for the project that you are working on.

THis light has been around so long now and getting so long in the tooth, I'm wondering if something else with a better CRI Index for trail running has not come along to replace it by now? If so, then perhaps you wouldn't need to go to all the trouble and expense of Frankenstein Modding this model.

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
FWIW, I use 2 lights for the trail at night. To see the trail at my feet and all around, I use a flood lens that is mounted on my hip belt (a SPark SD6 with Flood lens and a T3 XM-L2 emitter). On my head I normally use a spot lens with a T4 emitter (I have several, but my normal go-to is a Spark ST6). I installed both the T3 and T4's myself because I prefer the higher CRI of those BIN's for rocky trails. If I need to search in the trees above for something (part of what my job entails), then I'll have a flashlight with a T5 emitter on my hip as well. I have found that the T3 does the best in fog, heavy snow, and rain, especially when it is mounted low, like on your hip.

zirit

Newly Enlightened
Tsellers, you use other models for trail running.

Don't recommend the Nao to run?

ZoKoNAO

Newly Enlightened

TSellers

Newly Enlightened
Re: Attaching CREE LEDs on NAO PCB

Don't recommend the Nao to run?

Many people enjoy using that model, and swear by it. I don't want to start a diatribe about one light being better than another. In my case I prefer the higher CRI of other LED Bin's, and I found it very easy to upgrade the Spark LED's to T3 and T4 emitters, while at the same time, not having to go through the hassle of doing MOD's to increase battery capacity. And as I noted, I have found it's better to have 2 lights than just one, so even if I had a NAO on my head, I'd still want a flood on my hip (the trail I use daily goes up a mountain, 650m elevation gain over 5km, and for the uphill portion all I often use is just the flood, and then use both on the descent). As I often encounter rapid changes in environmental conditions, I do not see reactive lighting to be a benefit, in my opinion it is an annoyance, but again, many people enthusiastically disagree with that, so YMMV. The NAO has been around a long time now, and to me (but not others mind you) it is an over priced product that offers trailing edge features.

Does somebody can tell me how original CREE LEDs are attached on the PCB board

Reflow soldering skill techniques are typically what you do to remove and replace LED's from stars. There are lots of posts outlining people's favourite ways of doing it in this forum. In my case I was lucky to have been given a labratory hot plate which, along with an IR temperature gun, has served me well for putting emitters onto copper based stars.

ZoKoNAO

Newly Enlightened
TSellers, thank you so much.

I have wanted to make LED modification at home, but it seems it is better to bring it to some electronic service where they do the professional reflow soldering for a few euros.

I am happy because I will upgrade my NAO lamp for a small amount of money changing CREE LEDs with newer and making a spare batteries. Regarding that I had bought it brand new for EUR 60 from somebody who didn't need it, it was great deal for sure.

Huge greetings to everybody here!

Last edited:

ThreeStripes

Newly Enlightened
Can two or four 18650s be successfully used in parallel to create a custom battery pack? I would love to have an extended-length burn time on the NAO without having to carry Petzl's overpriced proprietary pack or extra 3400mah cells.

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can two or four 18650s be successfully used in parallel to create a custom battery pack? I would love to have an extended-length burn time on the NAO without having to carry Petzl's overpriced proprietary pack or extra 3400mah cells.

Petzl is going to upgrade the Nao in July to have 575 lumens and a longer runtime. You may want to checkout the updates that are coming. Just search google for Petzl Nao 575 and you will see the info on various sites including petzl very own site.

Ggmesquita

Newly Enlightened
Hey CUE, GREAT news!
Can't wait to see what's under the hood!
Just love mine and it will be great to have an improved version.
Just when I thought Petzl was going too slow with the reactive lighting...