Philips LED bike light

swhs

Newly Enlightened
Re: LED BikeLights discontinued

And... it's gone! (What else would you have expected from that faceless corporate operation?)

Dear business partner, dear customer,

On March 31, 2014, Philips will permanently discontinue its line of LED BikeLights. This includes the sale of the products belonging to the Philips LED Saferide®, Philips LED Activeride® and Philips LED RearLight product lines. All products and accessories will be retired from the market.

After that date, the products will be no longer for sale, and orders will no longer be accepted. We will continue to provide aftersales and support services for the products that have been sold in the last years, according to the terms and conditions that you may expect from a Philips solution.

We strongly suggest that you liaise with your local sales partner, to discuss a last-buy option accommodating your business' needs.

Should you have additional questions, we encourage you to learn more about the details through your direct customer contact.

We sincerely appreciate your support and regret any inconvenience this necessary action causes you.

I got an interesting response about this from a friend of mine. He told me that the OEM producer for Philips said to him that sales are good...

Perhaps the reason for this change, which I think is strange as bicycle lighting fits into the range of products they make with LEDs, is not about money but simply a strategy change, or if it's about money then it's "we can make this much money with bicycle lighting, but we can make 10 times more with the same investment with medical equipment".

It would be interesting to check what management changes have been made. These guys are, from what I have seen, almost always the problem, never a solution...

Funny story: For some reason I got talking a little about this long ago, with a researcher at the univ. of Leiden whom I showed my plan for my physics degree, and he said "In Japan you don't need managers" ;-)

[ implication: managers are only needed to stimulate people and Japanese have a far better work ethic, and I think it's right, but even worse, the managers often are the problem instead of the solution, esp. as many of them are sociopaths, which I knew long ago and this was confirmed in a horizon episode a few years ago. ]

swhs

Newly Enlightened

I have no idea what the Japanese need, or don't need. But somehow I haven't bought a Cateye lamp in years.
Whatever the reasons for the decision by Philips Bean-Counting Dept: Thanks, Frans...
http://www.telegraaf.nl/dft/nieuws_...onus_voor_Philips-ceo_Frans_van_Houten__.html

Japanese have a different work ethic and that's not just stay confined to simple labourers, it pervades a company. That's what he meant.

Of course there are drawbacks to the social system there. But the work ethic is just so different, also in china for example. Think back to the laying of railway lines in the USA long ago. The Chinese workers worked harder, didn't get drunk etc. and thus were preferred. Same reason I think why some countries grow quickly when embracing international ways or business/technology, and others in similar position don't. In western culture with the rise of the stockmarket's influence, there's a definite rise of 'it's never enough'. Which means people who only look at money/their own interest are perceived to be important for such goals, and sociopaths can hide in plain sight there (though they never perform well).

If he's responsible: As you'd looked it up I had a quick search and he started in 2011 in a different position. So no that long as the head. But another name is mentioned there: Pieter Nota, who's the head of the consumer division. Perhaps he's the culprit. I will try to find out more about this decision.

DavidAD

Newly Enlightened

Japanese have a different work ethic and that's not just stay confined to simple labourers, it pervades a company. That's what he meant.

Of course there are drawbacks to the social system there. But the work ethic is just so different, also in china for example. Think back to the laying of railway lines in the USA long ago. The Chinese workers worked harder, didn't get drunk etc. and thus were preferred. Same reason I think why some countries grow quickly when embracing international ways or business/technology, and others in similar position don't. In western culture with the rise of the stockmarket's influence, there's a definite rise of 'it's never enough'. Which means people who only look at money/their own interest are perceived to be important for such goals, and sociopaths can hide in plain sight there (though they never perform well).

If he's responsible: As you'd looked it up I had a quick search and he started in 2011 in a different position. So no that long as the head. But another name is mentioned there: Pieter Nota, who's the head of the consumer division. Perhaps he's the culprit. I will try to find out more about this decision.
the Chinese were little more than slave labor. They had their opium dens for entertainment.

swhs

Newly Enlightened

the Chinese were little more than slave labor. They had their opium dens for entertainment.

Uhm, they weren't slaves and what they were paid doesn't matter much, what matters is their work ethic. And that was quite different from the European/American. If you don't know this difference in work ethic then you need to get out more.

And that there were opium dens is also irrelevant, it's about how many people use that and were influenced by it.

Lots of the European/american labourers drank a lot of alcohol, quite different from the Chinese.

swhs

Newly Enlightened

And... it's gone! (What else would you have expected from that faceless corporate operation?)

On March 31, 2014, Philips will permanently discontinue its line of LED BikeLights. This includes the sale of the products belonging to the Philips LED Saferide®, Philips LED Activeride® and Philips LED RearLight product lines. All products and accessories will be retired from the market.

After that date, the products will be no longer for sale, and orders will no longer be accepted. We will continue to provide aftersales and support services for the products that have been sold in the last years, according to the terms and conditions that you may expect from a Philips solution.

We strongly suggest that you liaise with your local sales partner, to discuss a last-buy option accommodating your business' needs.

Should you have additional questions, we encourage you to learn more about the details through your direct customer contact.

We sincerely appreciate your support and regret any inconvenience this necessary action causes you.

I've received no information about the reasons for Philips stopping with bicycle lights, not even confirmation that the message on mtb-news.de was true as that was the only source I've seen so far, but, some responses and one non-response in emails to someone at Philips in mid-late 2012 make me think they were possibly already thinking about stopping, middle to end of 2012, when they were doing budget cuts in Philips in all sections.

Actually, they were strong indicators, but I didn't think they would do that, after all, with all the resources they have at their disposal, and the line up they have and money invested, it doesn't make sense to me to not give it a proper go and fix the issues in their lamps.

Now don't think other companies don't make mistakes. I read some complaints about how the problems in the lamps should have been trivial to avoid by any company, but I will list some issues that I read and issues I saw:

- Headlamps not always waterproof: I've not experienced it, but the Edelux for example also wasn't waterproof in early versions. The lens being stuck on at the front with the Saferides does mean water can come in there if the glue hasn't properly sealed it... For this case a lens within the housing, so slightly recessed, is better. This can be done easily with a top/bottom half housing... Also with regard to being waterproof, look at the Luxos U, which has a problem of not being able to withstand even a little bit of dampness on the connector for the switch. People who say any of the issues in Philips lamps could have been easily fixed with proper testing, yes, I agree, but this is true for other lamps as well such as the Luxos U.

- Not user serviceable: Almost all headlamps these days cannot be opened easily for repairs. Again, the top/bottom half way would make this possible.

- Mount point not 10mm wide: Lots of companies do that these days. I don't like it, mounts are not interchangeable...

- Early mounting bracket could break. Didn't happen to me, depends on riding enough on roads where the lamp will vibrate such that it breaks where it was pressed thinner for the bolt. Might have seemed to be a good idea but it wasn't. Then again, I've heard the same issue about the H-one S from one person who emailed his experiences and the H-one S' bracket was defective 3 times (so he go t a replacement bracket 2 times but all broke). If looking at it, the stamping causes strength difference which can cause a break from vibrations.

- Ball head mount: I commented about this without testing, I didn't think it would work, and it didn't. I don't know how this got through testing.

- Taillamp (with batteries): Water damage: This is again something I would do differently. The design is too complicated, but also, a top/bottom type design or something which at the top is not a line that if not perfectly sealed, will let water go in, is simply better.

- Complexity: The designs are undoubtedly more expensive to manufacture than lower end headlamps because of their complexity. The method of keeping the electronics fixed without vibration in the Pedelec/Saferide 60 is very complex, lots of parts, spring, small bolts. Why not simply bolting the PCB and use bottom-top half housing?

The beam shape of the Philips lamps are so far unequaled in how useful and smooth they are, which is different from how well they look on beam shots. This is the problem of lamps such as the Supernova E3 from 2010 which looked a lot better than any of the others, and in reality it's not, the same happens with the Edelux II and thus Cyo premium, and the cause is that spreading out light and especially making it wide fairly close, looks good on beam shots (a large part of the screen is lit up, larger than illuminating the same area on the road which is a bit further away, this is the issue of perspective over-accentuation but there are other reasons too) but it's not what you see in reality because in reality you look at a certain spot on the road, not at the entire picture as you see on the computer screen. In reality I find the Edelux II to be very dark, and the Saferide 60 much better. The only good point of the Edelux II is the width for curves but I never felt it was a big advantage.

I sent my Edelux II to friend btw., will look forward to his views. His views are often different than mine (e.g. he liked the original H-one S a lot for riding in the city where the squarish blob of light before the main beam got noticed by motorists...), but he's just as critical so will look forward to how he views the hotspots and darkness of the beam in the other places.

On the squarish blob of light of the original H-one S and artefacts in general: This is another issue that is hard to properly show in beam shots if aiming the lamps as far as possible, as I do. The eye then still sees the artefacts, the camera not so much.

I tried HDR btw, and it didn't work, didn't give results that showed me more how I experience lamps especially in the darker areas. I tried some gamma editing of beam shots with a computer program I made specifically for changing the darkness-brightness also depending on brightness of an area and they gave a fairly good improvement but this is still something in progress.

To do it properly, to give a good impression of artefacts, I think the only way at the moment is to make beamshots with the lamps aimed at various distances. I noticed the artifacts jump out far more on beam shots where the lamps are aimed at 25-30 m which is what many people do when riding and also when making beam shots.

But that's not optimal use of strong headlamps, at least for me, I always aim as far as possible, possibly because I like to ride fast :)

So possibly it would be a good idea to make beam shots aimed at 25,35,45m (and more if the lamp works well that way, e.g. LBL 70m), but doing all that would make beam shot sessions even more work.

But I'm not sure whether I will get around to this, as all this investigative stuff costs loads of time and no results for sales. Instead, I have the numbers to prove that proper reviews actually reduce sales... This is because people want to be affirmed in their views, not shown that something else they don't care about it better. A salesmen sells more by only pointing out good points of all devices then letting the customer make up his mind, not by pointing out bad points...

So coincidentally, as Philips, I've been considering how to proceed...

Wouter

Marcturus

Enlightened
now:
blowout at rosebikes. Don't bother if you think you'll soon see them for under UKP 33.80 including s&h.

N8N

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is truly disappointing news, I figured that the introduction of the Saferide etc. meant that finally the concept of proper shaped-beam LED bike lights would go more mainstream over the usual (in the US) flashlight in a different housing type lights. Sigh.

Well, I've still got B&M on my bike so at least I'm set...

Marcturus

Enlightened
With more and more automotive beam functions converging into single-digit Watt territory due to LED technology and CO2 rating potential, I still see potential for optical engineering spillover into a growing number of bicycle lamps.

But for Philips, at least in the meantime, it's cheaper to produce brand loyalty by selling real toys, http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KOB81QA/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that's about $40 shipped to the USA (after they return the VAT, which they do before charging your CC)). A phenomenal price for this light, and having bought my B&M IXON IQ Premium from Rosebikes, I can highly recommend them for their quick service to the USA.

abvgdee

Newly Enlightened
Why didn't Philips make *separate* Far and Near beams - each with it's own reflector/lens - since they use two LEDs anyway? Having two separate tools, each for its own purpose, is more efficient than having one tool, trying to do two things at the same time. Far could have a farther throw and weaker blinding above the cutoff (swhs wrote it's annoyingly bright). Near could be more uniform without the dark-stripe artifact. It's divide and conquer.. :rant:

I only see the "nice right-left symmetric looks" as an answere. Any other ideas?

I guess it is a pointless blabbering - to ask here (I'm sure Philips wouldn't reply if I blabber to them..).. I just hope that understanding this would make me a happier user..

Or am I wrong - and the reflector is really right-left asymmetric? :thinking:

Still, I ordered one..

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the answer is that this is an older design and they were simply trying to place an acceptable amount of light on the roadway, thus using 2 LEDs focused in the same area. Anyway, at this price you really can't go wrong. In fact, at this price you could buy another one, aim it lower and run it on low power, and still come out ahead of what many other lights cost.

Marcturus

Enlightened
Yeah, around 2009, they had their Rebels and the early automotive Altilons. They needed two leds to be sure they were beating one efficiently narrow emitting, cool-white Cree XR-E by a good margin. Not sure they were ready to use a row of the more expensive Altilons, but going with the Rebels certainly was the right choice for cri and cct flexibility.

And I'm seeing left-right symmetry also, abvgdee, we're still talking about the SR-80, right? I guess it was cheapest to build one reflector, more parts usually require more time=$ for precise assembly. I would have liked to see two separate optics stacked vertically so the lamp occupies less room on the handlebar, but I can imagine everybody including stylish designers and marketing planners also voting against it. (The MS Eagle 600 tries this, but it looks like the housing's aperture is too small for shaping a truly outstanding beam, especially using the primitive optical system they employ.)

I would also like to learn how the SR-80's beam looks like when you put a black wand between the left and right groups of reflector segments.
Edit: Experiments with the lens removed might easily damage the reflector surface, so I don't want to encourage them here.

Last edited:

LANDDNL

Newly Enlightened

Does anyone know where this originated. It's 11/1/14, and thre's still no mention on their website(or google search) as to this message.

Last edited:

Marcturus

Enlightened
On March 31, 2014, Philips will permanently discontinue its line of LED BikeLights.
(...)

Does anyone know where this originated. It's 11/1/14, and thre's still no mention on their website(or google search) as to this message.
Don't you think that publishing it widely would have hampered selling off the remaining stock?

Last edited:

Marcturus

Enlightened
Something must be wrong with your search engine, I see plenty of hits. Even our dearly missed swhs could only trace the earliest appearance to someone posting it on the mtb-news forum, apparently a high-snr contributor who wisely chose not to disclose his source.

There were more reasons and indicators to take this at face value instantly, and as swhs mentioned, there were some signs Philips wasn't fully determined to carry on.

http://www.tweewieler.nl/Onderdelen...4/5/Philips-stopt-in-fietsindustrie-1515350W/
EOD.

Last edited:

abvgdee

Newly Enlightened
OK, yes, I meant the SR80 (I don't know much about various available lights).

I meant "big" right-left asymetry, one that justifies calling it two-LEDs-two-beams headlight. There must be minor asymetry - because StVZO actually requires it.

more parts usually require more time=$ for precise assembly
Yes, I now also think it's the 90-10 principle that was decisive factor (not the asymmetry). If they can do 90% of the job (make usable beam pattern) with 10% of efforts, then why spend much more efforts to achieve additional 10% that most people won't really need..

I was mainly interested in the "reasons". Having thought about it.. I think I understand.. and it comforts me. However, since the reasons are more marketing/financial - as it looks - I'm not very interested anymore. (I think it's appropriate here to remember Philips selling their brand name to help sell toys..)

The Eagle 600 - thanks, I didn't know. This shows there's a demand for specialized, road-ahead illumination lenses (like Supernova's Terraflux) - right now. So Ledil/Carclo should start making them very soon - good :)

A (thin) *mirror* wall placed at center could be a test for right-left symmetry. If there's one (which is not quite the case - StVZO), the mirror won't change the pattern - seems obvious..

As to black wall, I don't expect anything simple, and no conclusions from such test. What do you expect?

Generally, where do artefacts come from.. there must be some textbooks on reflector designs, or at least monographies with reviews of papers.. After spending a lot of time, we'll end up re-inventing simple ideas :) I have (sorry, only obvious) idea - they come (only) from spacial extent of the LED.. but I'm out, I'm a total newbie..

abvgdee

Newly Enlightened
So where do SR80's "peels" blinding artefacts come from? (I was suprized how huge and bright they really are)

Probably they are exclusively fabricated by one LED shining onto the other's "designated" reflector part.

How to test it: Method 1: The black wall could be used. Method 2: A laser pointer (low power for safety) can be used to shine from where the artefact appear - to figure out from which LED it comes from, "this", or "the other".

(Someone wrote to me these two ideas few weeks ago. I partially copy-pasted the wording here. Shame on me not getting it right back then)

Method 3: One can inspect the reflection of an LED when lamp is off (yellow), and its surrounding PCB area (white) in (each) reflector stripe. The PCB area stops with a reflector on one side of the LED, and continues white on the other. This assymetry can be seen in the mirror stripe (each), and thus one can deduce, which LED ("this", or "the other") you see at a particular angle. The reflection of the LED and PCB area is distorted and unclear, and it takes some time, but still it's possible to say with certainty which LED it is.

Briefly, I can confirm the above assumption of the cause of the artefacts.

The number of artefact peels equals to the number of reflector stripes (not surprisingly):
82ff752c194ccb9ae40076465b846960.jpg

d3db048eb41d997ad7e5e2cba3d5e59c.jpg

(here the right LED, which on first photo is on left, shines on left reflector half, which on photo is on right, and creates artefacts on the left side of the beamshot)

I'd say the black wall should not be full-height, it should be more like a fence. Its upper shape should be special, to only prevent "the other" LED from reaching "this" half's stripes. The artifacts will disappear, but I think there will be some change in the beam pattern (like less bright at the sides).

Bottomline: 1 (shining) LED per reflector please.

----------

Why the SR80 has a dark stripe "artefact" in the near field? The reflector only creates its light carpet about 2m away. The near field (before the carpet) is only created by direct (not reflected) light from LEDs. So there are 2 (obvious) reasons for that dark stripe: (1) the bigger the angle from the LED die normal - the less luminous intensity, and (2) the farther the distance to a road area - the smaller its brightness (luminance).

Why the housing is horizontally stretched? (previously I wished it to be vertically big - for a sharper cutoff). There are (above) the lumen reason, and styling, but also - to make near field wider. Almost right at the wheel - *and* pretty wide sideways.

(these are some of my mis-understandings I decided to share for everyone)

----------

Why people call the SR80's windshield a lens? Looking thru mine at LEDs and reflector, I'd say it's perfectly flat.

----------

(blabbering below, but hopefully interesting..)

I searched for "reflector design", and found there are many books on this. It's amazing how such a primitive law as geometrical-optics mirror reflection can lead to really involved math and algorithms. To me it looks like there's no way a hobbyist can design a good-cutoff LED reflector, even if using some available (open source) ray-tracing engines (because it's an *inverse* problem), let alone from scratch.

As of now, a search engine's top reflector-CAD company still uses only (!) point-like light sources (with a configurable angular distribution of course) in their commercial system. This brings some doubts in accuracy of reflector designs. Looking at flat (along one direction) stripes of SR80's reflector, may be it was really a rather crude design process (I doubt they solved inverse problem)..

Last edited: