Please recommend some places to get stock.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
CMAG, this is actually my fathers' lathe. It is a Chinese unit, Shenwai model SW-350b. It's pretty old and cranky, but accurate enough for flashlight bits. Thankfully we have not had to replace any major components, long may that last.

He and I built a complete metalworking shop so he could work on his British sports cars. It's funny that I'm almost 50, but still rely on dear old dad :) My only grip is that he uses my nice finishing inserts to hog out brass all the time.....

It looks like you have an Aloris tool post. If so, purchase another set of holders and remove the good stuff when you finish up.

I never leave quick change drill chucks or tool holders in or on the machine unless I'm the only one using it.

I know, dear old Dad and all that, but throwing $8 quality inserts away verse $3 junk doesn't take long to rune ones day.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Brass speeds are fairly high, around 1000 sfpm. Some alloys produce dust-like chips, similar to cast iron, & the chips spray quite a distance. Run it dry even when threading & tapping as any oil makes a terrible mess.

Ebay sellers often have the best prices but McMaster is always worth a look. Low cost shipping & next day delivery is sometimes important.

IMG_2781(1).jpg

I have some larger aluminum solids & will sell any pieces at 50% of McMaster cost + shipping.