Poor man's surefire perfect beam

Chris201W

Enlightened
I tried this on a stock 3D mag today using the same etching cream as Warhoggie. I left it on the bulb for about three and a half minutes. As far as I can see there is very little difference in terms of overall output between the frosted bulb and the stock bulb. The major difference is that the frosted doesn't have the throw of the clear bulb. By frosting the bulb you're essentially increasing the size of the light source which decreases throw.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I was thinking about trying a light frost on one of my mag lenses instead of the bulb. If that works then I do not need to worry about the "high powered" bulbs. I recall buying glass replacement lenses a few months back maybe I can find them while I wait on the acid to get here. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Topper

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Interesting idea! I think that would really make it a true flood light. I ordered some mag glass lenses, as they're cheap. Will try it myself. Pending results! I am not worried about the these low voltage "high powered" bulbs. I've seen seen up to 50 watts halogen 12v bi-pin frosted bulbs for sale by online merchants. Just wear protective gears. Also, as mentioned before, double frosting will strengthen the bulb. (Marvin Pipkin, 1925)

Topper said:
I was thinking about trying a light frost on one of my mag lenses instead of the bulb. If that works then I do not need to worry about the "high powered" bulbs. I recall buying glass replacement lenses a few months back maybe I can find them while I wait on the acid to get here. Nothing ventured nothing gained.
Topper

Topper

Flashaholic*
I love throw but fact is mostly flood is what is more usefull for me. I plan on starting with just a minute then do it over if needed, I can hardly wait to try this stuff.
Topper

CLHC

Flashaholic
I tried it with the stock halogen MagCharger bi-pin bulb. It took quite a while to get it to "frost". . .er, etch. Had to do this six (6) times. I did etch the other ones for the Energizer and it did fine. Just took 3 minutes.

With the MagCharger bulb, the first I did for 3 minutes and it did nothing. Did it a second time for same amount of time and still nothing. Third time I left it on for 5 minutes. Just a slight hazing but only on the top cap portion. Did it again and left it on for another 5 minutes. Looks the same. And another for 7 minutes. Starting to have that "frosted" look. For the last time I left it on for 12 minutes. I know it says for only 5 but. . .It came out the way I wanted it.

The lighting pattern looks just like in that picture posted at the outset of this thread. . .By the way, this MagCharger is housebound and that is perfect.

farmall

Enlightened
Just thought. I wonder if there would be and benefit to etching the center of a mag lens? Maybe a small spot about 1/2" in the center.

It may help smooth the beam and maybe not hurt the throw as bad.

Warhoggie

Enlightened
I don't know the answer to that. Off hand, I would think it will not solve all the artifact issue.

farmall said:
Just thought. I wonder if there would be and benefit to etching the center of a mag lens? Maybe a small spot about 1/2" in the center. It may help smooth the beam and maybe not hurt the throw as bad. farmall

CHC, wow! 12 minutes??? Mag charger using quartz? Pyrex glass?

CHC said:
...For the last time I left it on for 12 minutes. I know it says for only 5 but. . .It came out the way I wanted it. CHC

Topper, that is exactly my thought! I have lights just for throw. But majority of the time, I need a bright flood, for less than 50 feet away. So far the frosted Pelican Big D is the answer. The low-power 11 watt frosted pelican Big D bulb is great too. I believe that bulb is around 200 lumens.

Topper said:
I love throw but fact is mostly flood is what is more usefull for me. I plan on starting with just a minute then do it over if needed, I can hardly wait to try this stuff. Topper

CLHC

Flashaholic
Warhoggie that is a good question regarding the MagCharger bulb/lamp's construction. I don't know. . .But I sure like the beam pattern produced after finding the "sweet spot"!

Warhoggie

Enlightened
smile.gif
Good to hear! By the way, is that stock bulb or the mag white star type? magnum star?

caution.gif
Warning: Frosting may be addicting!
crackup.gif

CHC said:
Warhoggie that is a good question regarding the MagCharger bulb/lamp's construction. I don't know. . .But I sure like the beam pattern produced after finding the "sweet spot"!

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
It's the stock MAGLITE Rechargeable Flashlight Halogen Bi-Pin Bulb.

I'm thinking (I may I might—maybe) of trying it on the WA01160 when I get my hands on one. We shall see. . .

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
damn, You would not believe which problems all Your cool modding treads can pose.
To get beams from Maglites that can, at least, be accepted is great (still have some around the house as emergency lights), but to get any media able to frost glass is impossible here.
Something with being hasardous, only could be sold if buyer brings a license to "be able and allowed to handle poisons".

So tried to order online,...
Finally the 4th shop will send me the Glass etching cream.

...but the folks around here, scratching our underground windows, seem to have such media. Today I used a wagon where the windows definitly were etched (1/2" broad letters)

Niteowl

Enlightened
I finally picked up some of the etching cream. Great idea Warhoggie!

As mentioned, 5 minutes might be a little too much. Had to leave town after I got it, so I only got one bulb done. Actually turned a stock 2C into a usable, if not blinding house light. A KPR112 is next in line for my 3x123 modded 2C. I think I can live with a little loss of throw..........maybe.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Ok I got the stuff I found my spare lenses (I got more than one) I gave it a try for about a minute and was not happy with the way it "LOOKED" so I coated it a second time and gave it 2 minutes--works but a bad answer I should have installed and checked my first coating I did not. My bad I got 2 more to try without touching a bulb. I will regroup and try once more. The lens looks great but I lost way more light (I think) than needed to get the effect. I do think this is worth a try so I am a happy camper just a less than smart camper.
Topper

CLHC

Flashaholic
Just did the WA01111 for the Mag11.74. Left the etching cream on for roughly 7 or so minutes and now I have the desired "sweet-spot" lighting effect with NO Uggs!

This stuff is Great!

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
ok...here's one for ya' , what about the Radio Shack XPR103 Xenon...do't think it's a high pressure, but unsure. it's only $2.79 and PR based, looks almost identical to the standard mag Krypton bulbs. Wonder if that one would be OK to frost... and also the Krypton 6D bulb for mag. Anybody got experience there? I just got a hold of a bottle and was going to start with a standard 3D mag bulb, then take a chance on the XPR103, since it will be inside the light when it fires up and pointed away from me as a general precaution as with any experiment until it's proven itself and well heated. Time to find a suitable holder around here and give it a whirl. carefullt. :awman:

CLHC

Flashaholic
I "frosted" the stock MagCharger bulb which claims an output of 175 Lumens and did the WA01274. I "misted" the WA01111 and got the look I wanted. Both the Welch~Allyns are considered "super bulbs" according to a well known online dealer. Works fine on my end. Others may vary though. . .Of course I have no idea about the Radio Shack bulbs.

Enjoy!

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
what's "misted" ??? spray of some sort? or light frost treatment with the etch?? thanks.... I WILL try this once I know what to use. I have the etch cream so far. Thanks again....:help:

CLHC

Flashaholic
That's just me calling it that, since it's "lightly" applied than the full-blown "frosted" envelopement.

AtomicX

Newly Enlightened
great...anyone else have good luck with this method and PR bulbs...chime in...was hoping to do this with BI-PIN WA 1160... but I guess thats pushing my luck and dangerous... so the stock magcharger bulb ok I guess. The 6D Krypton will be one to try for sure. Any suggestions ? :wave:

Warhoggie

Enlightened
Heehee, I feel like a caveman who just discovered fire.

Pelican Big D high output lamp. I tried the "photoshop bulb" picture that Nemul suggested. The beam is not surefire perfect, but the artifacts are gone, with a couple of rings around the spill light area. I think I need to frost slightly higher to get rid of the rings. Also notice the frosting is catching some of the aluminum that is rubbing off from the reflector? I guess that's why they frost the inside of the bulb.

Pelican Big D low output lamp. The beam on this is one is much better. Almost surefire perfect hotspot. I'm thinking the best of both worlds in terms of good beam, and throw is to frost just over the top of the filament. Your mileage may vary.

Cheap Krypton Rayovac 4.8v from Kmart. I used this bulb with my the six cell Mag6D, and the beam is very white. However the bulb is starting to turn black after about 15 minutes of burn time. Frosting can make crappy beams look good. However I'm starting to think frosting may be best for medium power and higher power lights, as it make better flood lights.

Hope this helps guys. Please share if you can make this even better! That's how we all learn!
smile.gif

Last edited: