Portable weather radios...

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering purchasing a portable emergency weather radio such as a Eton fr300. Does anyone have any experience with this type of emergency radio and what other brands are available?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The Eton emergency radios have gotten generally mediocre reviews due to a remarkably stubborn battery cover, just-decent reception, and the "cell-phone charge" feature being greatly overhyped. If you're set on the Eton, I'd opt instead for the FR400, essentially the same radio but weather-resistant.

My two cents from another thread:
Portable radio DXing (long-distance listening) is one of my other hobbies, and I have a modest portable radio collection, so I've got some mileage on the subject - I would recommend an *analog tuned* (needle-and-dial tuner, no digital display) radio, preferably powered by AAs (or larger/more batteries), as these have ridiculously long runtimes. You'll find you don't need a high-dollar super-sensitive unit to pull in distant stations at night, even a bare-bones model will easily pick up bigger AM stations from several hundred miles away. Ideally it should receive the weather band, shortwave is not useful in any local/regional event (aside from being almost impossible to tune, especially in any emergency situation). XM/Sirius radio doesn't cover anything local, and HD stations are exclusively local (you can't hear them from longer distances) and require an expensive/complex tuner. Put your money into a good bang-for-the-buck known-brand-name model that puts the cost into quality more than extraneous features (the Sony ICF-S10MK2 or ICF-36 are excellent choices.)

Unfortunately the most useful feature, TV audio, won't be useable after next year; the one time I was in a five-day ice storm power outage, the TV audio was pretty much all I needed, and had far better coverage and information than any radio station. But second to TV stations would be local/regional AM stations; Make sure you know ahead of time what AM stations you'd want to tune in an emergency, specifically the all news format and big/powerful regional stations.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I would advise against a weather-only radio, you'll want something that also has AM band for non-weather news and information, which is far more important after the weather has already done the damage.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
Have you seen the Midland 74-250C, with SAME technology?...
I had this radio (sold it here - probably should have kept it! :ohgeez: ). I liked it, however my scanners pickup NOAA as well (no SAME ability though) so I felt it was duplication.

NICE little radio!

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you seen the Midland 74-250C, with SAME technology?

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3104

The Midland tabletops are getting pretty fair reviews in Amateur Radio groups.

I have it. It drinks batteries like there's no tomorrow because it's always on standby for alerts. There's only a charging jack that I don't think can be used for powering the unit itself - only charging batteries. No power supply comes with it.
It's best to think of this unit for outdoors being on the lake or similar situations. But to be honest, even then, there's better choices. Just get a regular radio with the weather band and if the sky looks funny, tune in. IMO, it was a mistake on my part to purchase it.

I also have this Midland table top unit I got from wally world that I much prefer over the Midland 74-250C and it comes with a power supply or can be run on 3xAA.
http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3105
Has a port for PC hookup (Not sure which wire you would need to do this) and has ability to hook up an external antenna. (RCA jack on back)

They also make another unit similar to this that has AM/FM as well. But from what I've heard, reception makes it seem more like an after-thought than a useful feature.

DO KEEP IN MIND - that radios with SAME technology usually have an alarm that will go off if a watch or warning is issued. This means you could be woke up by a non-threatening condition. High wind may even warrant a SAME message being broadcast. Some radios like the tabletop mentioned above that I have do have several alerts you can choose from. One can just be in the form of watch/warning text displayed with an LED lighting up on the unit with no audible alarm. Of course you'd sleep through this warning without being alerted.

It's just best to check the weather for your area and if it's possibly going to get dicey throughout the night, then set the alarm to go off before you go to sleep.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also thinking of this model...what do you guys think?

Not enough info given and the 26 mile thing is a marketing gimmick for the most part on that and two-way radios in general.
I believe the FCC will only allow a power rating of 4 watts max. It's what you usually see on CB radios. That'll get you a couple of miles on a good day without a lot of interference.

I think it was Sub_Umbra who made a comment once about not getting too hung up on the aspects of having a crank when choosing an emergency radio. Ability to pull in AM will be much more important. I'll have to agree with that.
Just using a 2xAA portable radio, I've already chocked up around 36 hours this past week and it's still ticking. Now grab a radio that uses 4D's and you're talking a loooong time.

Last edited:

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sangean also make a couple models with weather band ranging from small (Available for retail mid-June)

http://www.durhamradio.com/sangean-...-with-weather-and-alert-functio-pr-46587.html

To larger units that are weather resistant.

http://www.shopdit.com/Sangean-Weather-resistant-Amfm-Outdoor-Receiver-U1

I was kind of enamored with the smaller dt400 unit being that it's an AM/FM protable with weather band until I saw that it will issue SAME weather alerts meaning it may stay active unless the alerts can somehow be shut off.
If not, it'll suck down the batteries within a couple days depending on circuitry.

EDIT: oops, the larger unit does NOT have weather band, it's just weather resistant. My bad.

There's also the ICF-36 from Sony.

Last edited:

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife is scared to death of tornadoes, so I bought the Midland WR300:
http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=3106

Though it is a bit fiddly to set up, performance has been absolutely flawless. It picks up the weather band clearly, and alerts are usually faster than the TV or radio.
The weather band reception is impressive because both Sonys I have (M37 and ICF-36) don't pull in anything.

You can really customize the programming to reject all but the most serious alerts.

Probedude

Enlightened

Though it is a bit fiddly to set up, performance has been absolutely flawless. It picks up the weather band clearly, and alerts are usually faster than the TV or radio.
The weather band reception is impressive because both Sonys I have (M37 and ICF-36) don't pull in anything.

You can really customize the programming to reject all but the most serious alerts.
Thanks for the info. I may pick up a few for family members in the mid-west.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. I may pick up a few for family members in the mid-west.

You are welcome. It is always a tough decision when purchasing things like this.
I forgot to mention a few other positives. It runs just fine on battery power (I put in lithiums), so you can unplug it and take it right into the basement.

Though I haven't needed it, it has an antenna output so you can increase the range (probably incorrect radio-lingo, but you get the point). It also has some sort of strobe accessory for those that have hearing loss.

Amazon has some very detailed reviews.

Tooly

Newly Enlightened

I've had this radio for about 2 years....it's a good radio! :twothumbs

PacificMoon

Newly Enlightened
I had this radio (sold it here - probably should have kept it! :ohgeez: ). I liked it, however my scanners pickup NOAA as well (no SAME ability though) so I felt it was duplication.

NICE little radio!
Just wanted to add, in case anyone reads this thread in 2022 (or beyond...), that many modern scanners are S.A.M.E. capable (even the $100 Whistler WS1010). What is nice about a scanner is that it is not only an excellent NOAA weather radio receiver but it can receive much more that can be useful during an emergency: amateur radio repeaters with emergency power that are used for emergency communications, radio services open to the general public that may be used by people near you to communicate/share information (GMRS, FRS) and possibly some fire frequencies.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is the Midland radio I find works best. Has solar, crank, and USB charging (for in house or in car). Has a bright Cree flashlight (over 100 lumens), Has AM, FM, and weather band. Has a USB port for charging your phone in an emergency. The only thing it doesn't have is a regular alkaline battery backup (so you can keep running it when the li-ion cell finally goes dead). They have a more expensive model with that option, but it makes it bulkier.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-E-Ready-Compact-Emergency-Crank-Radio-Red/49095176

PacificMoon

Newly Enlightened
This is the Midland radio I find works best. Has solar, crank, and USB charging (for in house or in car). Has a bright Cree flashlight (over 100 lumens), Has AM, FM, and weather band. Has a USB port for charging your phone in an emergency. The only thing it doesn't have is a regular alkaline battery backup (so you can keep running it when the li-ion cell finally goes dead). They have a more expensive model with that option, but it makes it bulkier.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Midland-E-Ready-Compact-Emergency-Crank-Radio-Red/49095176
I have never understood why you would want to combine something as power hungry as a flashlight with your emergency radio, to be honest... And isn't this CPF where most people have plenty of flashlights already ;) Seems like it would also be a better idea to get a separate powerbank for your phone. Personally, I have a scanner (old and analog signal only, with a good aftermarket antenna installed, runs on AAs) and a Tecsun AM/FM/SW radio (runs on AAs too), plenty of Eneloops and finally an emergency reserve of Energizer alkaline AAs (and an 8-pack of L91s for the Pelican 2350). I can see why some people would rather have an AM/FM/WB radio than an AM/FM radio + scanner but I have never been very enthusiastic about non-AA emergency radios (18650 would be acceptable, I guess) with the (usually flimsy) crank and tiny solar panel. Of course, everyone is entitled to their own opinion and preferences, however.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are getting news of a tornado touching down near you, a wildfire near you, or an earthquake just occurred, it's nice to have a decent light built into the radio that you can just grab and see to run for cover. Having usb charging means you can charge your phone to call for help even after you get buried under the rubble. Not every gadget is perfect and I get wanting to keep it super simple in an emergency to avoid critical gear failures, but this radio has a lot of good features that can prove essential in an emergency. Like I said, Midland does make another model that has a AA battery backup, the ER310 but it tends to be quite a bit more expensive. If you want AA, go with that one.

PacificMoon

Newly Enlightened
Fair enough. I suppose the flashlight is probably not meant for extended use. I have to say that I think it is unlikely that if there is a wildfire nearby or especially after an earthquake has occurred one would be able to grab the radio and only the radio but in the tornado scenario it makes sense.