Post those >100,000mi vehicles

Yep. Lots of hard work. My mother (mum for you folks across the pond) told me to go to college, but I didn't listen. 59 and still working hard....... just can't do it for as many hours a day as I did when I was younger. Life is good though. :)

~ Chance

Wolfy1776

Newly Enlightened
Dodge Caliber 2007 155,000 miles and few problems. I have used Mobil 1 synthetic since the first oil change. Get oil changed every 6,000 miles. I think synthetic makes a huge difference.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome thread. My 1998 Jeep Cherokee has 186,000 miles on it although it has had some problems over the years including getting stolen, smashing into other vehicles, and shot at by the police (all in one incident). It's still chugging along though! It leaks power steering fluid and a small amount of oil though, and it makes a bunch of random noises haha. The check engine light keeps coming on periodically and I don't get around to checking the error code before it disappears again. The steering has never really been quite the same since it was stolen. But hey, at least I got it back!

My wife's 2004 Mazda 3 is going strong at 182,000 miles though. We just replaced the clutch and it rides pretty nicely. I think it needs new rotors but nothing too major.

markr6

Flashaholic
Awesome thread. My 1998 Jeep Cherokee has 186,000 miles on it although it has had some problems over the years including getting stolen, smashing into other vehicles, and shot at by the police (all in one incident). It's still chugging along though! It leaks power steering fluid and a small amount of oil though, and it makes a bunch of random noises haha. The check engine light keeps coming on periodically and I don't get around to checking the error code before it disappears again. The steering has never really been quite the same since it was stolen. But hey, at least I got it back!

My wife's 2004 Mazda 3 is going strong at 182,000 miles though. We just replaced the clutch and it rides pretty nicely. I think it needs new rotors but nothing too major.

Nice! I just rolled over 123K now. Running fine. All I can really complain about now is the stupid TPMS. I wish you can simply turn that off without having to build some random pvc pipe bomb. I'm not a complete moron and can check my own tire air. The guy at discount tire said the easiest fix is black electrical tape (over the warning light) :laughing:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a vehicle stolen that was used in a Gas Station robbery & Wild Chase. I got it back a few days later. No shoot out holes but it was COVERED in black graphite fingerprint powder. Inside and out. Only funny part was the trunk had one of those table top cigarette racks with packs of cigarettes strewn all over the trunk! Non smoker here, so I gave them away. People were floored by the storyline when I handed them free cigs.
You can't make this stuff up!

Last edited:

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice! I just rolled over 123K now. Running fine. All I can really complain about now is the stupid TPMS. I wish you can simply turn that off without having to build some random pvc pipe bomb. I'm not a complete moron and can check my own tire air. The guy at discount tire said the easiest fix is black electrical tape (over the warning light) :laughing:

Haha yeah our light always blinks on and off. Oh well. The car has been really reliable.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can't say that blah and not give more details :faint:

Yeah the Jeep has a lot of stuff wrong with it.

But regarding the theft, I went out to the Jeep and didn't see it in the lot back in college. Reported it stolen, and there was another Cherokee next to where it should have been. Turns out that one was stolen too.

So the thief dropped that one off and took mine. It also turns out that despite changing the font license plate but not the bank, the thief still was using my ezpass toll device on the highway. We could see on our account online when he passed through the tolls for a week. We reported that to the police.

Well eventually the police followed him and tried to get him to pull over. They hit bad traffic and then the guy started ramming a bunch of other vehicles in the way. He totaled a few other cars including a police vehicle, and since he was creating a danger to others he was shot in the driver seat.

We picked up the car with blood all over the inside and broken glass, etc. We duct taped the seatbelt and anything bloody and drove it home with gloves on. Surprisingly it made it home.

Now it's mostly fine but it's never been the same since.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
The guy lived by the way and I assume is in jail but I have no idea.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW , some story in that jeep! Glad all turned out ok............poor truck!

Yeah, thanks! It's definitely been through a lot. I love it but sometimes it's just not fun to drive and deal with the problems that crop up. Some of them are because it's 19 years old, but others I think are directly related to those incidents. I'm pretty busy as of late and don't have a place to work on it at my apartment complex so the cars unfortunately get a bit neglected. But hopefully we'll be moving in a year or less and then I'll be able to better keep things up!

That's another benefit of having a couple bikes now. At least when one of the cars breaks down I just ride my bike and my wife takes the other car. :) Now I'm not very stressed about car trouble anymore since it can always wait a couple days if I'm busy haha.

ven

Flashaholic
When i had this

Which is a 1991! and 116k on the clock, i had to change the mind set from faults to having a personality ! God knows how much i spent over the 8yrs of ownership:faint: But i loved it, even though 10/12mpg was the norm it went all over, some of the tougher lanes in the UK . From beaches, pulling a caravan.........a proper off road family bus...........yep i miss it other than putting the equivalent to $400-$500 a month in gas!

markr6

Flashaholic
yep i miss it other than putting the equivalent to $400-$500 a month in gas!

OUCH! What's gas running over there right now? I heard it was usually a lot more than the US.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, awesome vehicle! I remember seeing pictures of it on here before. I get around 17 mpg usually with mine. I will definitely miss it if I get rid of it and buy a car instead but I'm thinking that might be the most practical decision for me in a couple years or so. We shall see. Maybe I'll keep it around anyway as a beater.

ven

Flashaholic
OUCH! What's gas running over there right now? I heard it was usually a lot more than the US.

It is a lot more, right now i am paying £1.20 a litre for shell V power, here is 4.5L to a gallon so £5.40=$7.20 right now as the £ is *beep* :laughing:

Bill Idaho

Newly Enlightened
A short introduction: I have been a member here for a handful of years, and post in the searchlights and automotive threads. I really never noticed this part of the forum. When I saw this thread, I had to chime in.
I had a 1980 Chevy LUV, I bought back in 1985. It had 230,000 miles on it then. The bed was FULL of extra parts- alternators, carbs, starters, windshield, springs, rims, etc. At 320,000, I rebuild that engine (rings, bearings, seals, gaskets, valve job). I changed the oil every 3000, religiously. I admit, I had to put brakes and a clutch in it a couple of times. I did get pretty good at changing the head gasket, which seemed to go out every 75,000.

At just under 500,000, I switched engines (but used the starter off of the original engine, which was the ORIGINAL starter(!). I sold it about 6 months ago, and saw it going down the highway a few weeks ago. Well over a half million miles. It wasn't fast. I got 18-20 miles per gallon no matter how I drove it. Oh yeah, it had a Kenworth semi aluminum front bumper (narrowed for width)!!