Post your home-made lanyard photos! (Part 2)

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Here's a long 3 bight Turk's Head on a Mini Maglite. I used 1/16" glow-in-the-dark cord and some 1mm green and 1mm black cotton cords.

CIMG4747.jpg

CIMG4749.jpg

cougar_67

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Stormdrane.
When I first made it, I added a double overhand knot as a stopper at the end of the snake knot. I didn't really care for the size of it so I've since removed that knot.
The hardest part of the snake knot (at least for me) is the first two knots. Once I get past those it's pure repetition, and I'm getting a lot better at keeping my tension consistent.
I've picked up some more cord and hardware; I have a few ideas I want to try out in the next few days. Now that I've lived with my first lanyard for a week or so I have a better idea of what I want in a lanyard.

Steve

bltkmt

Enlightened
Probably not the place for this question, but with GreenLed currently on hiatus from production (he has made me some masterful items), I am on the lookout for a place to purchase custom paracord lanyards/zipper pulls...can anyone point me to another source? Thanks.

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
I don't have anything really fancy laying around to show off right now but here's a little of what I do have on hand...

2 Monkey's fists laying on a flattened Turk's Head. (3 Lead 5 Bight)

To give you an idea of size, the monkey's fists are tied around Daisy brand BBs.

KIDDING! After seeing Stormdrayne's awesome Airsoft monkey's fist, I couldn't resist, sorry. :D That is the most impressive thing I've seen in a knot in quite some time!

These are actually tied on regulation chromed pinballs and yes, they are quite heavy. You could hurt a person if you weren't careful! :whistle:

Next is a POL (Plain Ol' Lanyard) but it's the first one I ever tied on anything. 4 Strand Square Sinnet, Black and OD Paracord

Everyone's seen those bracelets that are so popular over in the sandbox, here's my take on it. A hatband made of a single 68 foot long piece of 550 cord.

This one's strictly utilitarian. A 550 cord Turk's head on the butt of my Cold Steel Trailmaster. You wouldn't believe how much that little bit of "knob" on the end improves the handling characteristics of this knife! Utility chopping becomes much easier and fast grip transitions are a breeze with this little booger to hang on to! This simple mod makes a $100 production knife handle like a $500 custom.

This last one is a shot of my Maxpedition Jumbo. I tried to do a different knot on each zipper pull.

3 Strand Triangular Sennit
3 Strand Round Sennit with Manrope Knot
4 Strand Square Sennit
4 Strand Round Sennit with Manrope Knot
Monkey's fist is tied around a six sided die. The name of the lashing on the Monkey's fist escapes me at the moment but I think it's a very neat and pretty little lash that holds exceptionally well with nylon cord.

Last edited:

jag808808

Enlightened
These are my own renditions of the monkey's fist... The core is a mouse ball. The ball main color is about 5 feet. Each additional color is about 2 feet. I just wanted something with a little more mass and strength for EDC. I designed it with a lanyard loop and keychain. For knife, light, or keychain EDC. I just wish I had more stock colors...
CIMG0724Medium.jpg

CIMG0725Medium.jpg

CIMG0726Medium.jpg

CIMG0723Medium.jpg

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, that's VERY nice!

What kind of knot is that you're using for the actual lanyard and what's inside it? Certainly that's not all knot is it?(Not all knot. heheheheh) :D

jag808808

Enlightened
Oh yeah, that's VERY nice!

What kind of knot is that you're using for the actual lanyard and what's inside it? Certainly that's not all knot is it?(Not all knot. heheheheh) :D

Buster,

It is a monkey fist knot with a mouse ball as the core of the knot. The remainder entails 3 paracords in a twist weave.

dfred

Enlightened
A new fob for the 120P... Works great for fishing it out of my pocket. And thin enough to fit easily between the index and middle fingers when holding the light. End can also be folded down between middle and ring ringers for extra grip.

Uses a single 1.5mm cord: 3-lead 7-bight Turk's head doubled; then single and double solomon bars. Two loops at end are "served" into single stiff loop using thread.

Last edited:

jag808808

Enlightened
I got a little out of hand this weekend! A customer who bought out most of my Hawaiian Punch Monkey Fists gave me (4) Craftsman bottle openers to work on. Check these out with some of my work... Thanks Stormdrane! You are one of my inspirations to get some of my stuff online!

Group shot of this weekends "too much time at home"!
CIMG0732Medium.jpg

Some close ups
CIMG0734Medium.jpg

CIMG0733Medium.jpg

Craftsman Wrench Bottle Openers with attached Monkey Fists with Standard wrapping and Cobra Hitch
CIMG0735Medium.jpg

Craftsman Screwdriver Plastic Bottle Openers
CIMG0736Medium.jpg

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Here's a simple lanyard with a doubled lanyard knot, short loop on one end, long loop on the other, with the ends hidden in the knot. There's an online tutorial for it on the KHWW website posted by Bud Brewer.

CIMG5174.jpg

Stormdrane

Enlightened
This lanyard is a double tatted/seesaw/zigzag knot pattern and is done with some 2mm sized cord. I started with two 4 ft lengths of cord, middled/looped onto the S-BINER, doing 5 or 6 inches of the knot pattern, then stopped to think on how to finish it. Having four strands to finish with leaves plenty of knot options, but for this one I just tied a lanyard knot with the strands, looped over a split ring, used the outer two cords to make a couple of cobra stitches back to the lanyard knot, and trimmed/melted the ends.

CIMG5223.jpg

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Here's a double tatted bar(ABOK#2498) paracord lanyard. The knot is shown on the same page as the double tatted chain/seesaw/zigzag knot in 'Ashley's Book of Knots'. I added a few skull beads in the loops between the alternating ring/cow hitches, and it could easily be done as a paracord bracelet too.

CIMG5251.jpg