Post your home-made lanyard photos! (Part 2)

Stormdrane

Enlightened
A paracord lanyard and a fob made with spiral braids and lanyard knots...

CIMG5313.jpg

CIMG5321.jpg

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Hey Stormdrane,

That's an awesome "acorn" you've got there. What is that knot?

That's a lanyard knot(also called a diamond knot/boatswain's whistle knot) tied with 4 strands instead of 2. It looks like a doubled two strand lanyard knot when tied. I just treated the 4 strands as a pair when tying and kept them from overlapping/twisting while gradually tightening the knot. :grin2:

Stormdrane

Enlightened
This is my first try with the 8-strand square plait, seen in the center of the lanyard. The lanyard is just under 6 inches long, not counting the Blue Alox Farmer or the #1 sized S-BINER.

CIMG5345.jpg

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Holy crap, that must be a true booger to chase and tighten. Now I've got to go lookin' in my books for a good series of pics on the Bos'n's knot. Thanks for sharing.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
I tried a 4 lead 3 bight Turk's Head knot over the doubled lanyard knot on this one, using GID cord...

CIMG5413.jpg

CIMG5414.jpg

Last edited:

Patriot

Flashaholic
Ok, you guys are completely and ridiculously talented!!!!!!!

Let's say a guy like me, with next to zero knot talent, wanted to learn a few of these methods, where is the best place to start? Is there an online source of instructions for beginners or do I need to purchase a book? I'd have to start at the "3 year old" level.....seriously. :eek:

Also, do you guys have lanyard sales threads? I think Green LED does but I'm not sure where it's at anymore. The reason I'm asking is that I need two or three lanyards made for a PH50, WiseLED tactical, and I'd probably like one for an M6.

Thanks guys. I sure enjoyed marveling at these pictures.

Paul

Patriot

Flashaholic
All excellent links! Thank you GreenLED. :)

I can tell that I'm going to have information overload for a while...:huh:

I do have some old, junk paracord around so I should be able to start messing up right away..lol.

Since I most likely won't be producing anything of quality for a while. Would there be any chance of paying one of you guys to make me something nice for one of the previously mentioned lights?

Thanks.

jag808808

Enlightened
Patriot36,

I would be willing to give it a shot for you! Some of my friends provide the cord and tell me what they want made. They just pay me for my time. Let me know.

Aloha,

jag

All excellent links! Thank you GreenLED. :)

I can tell that I'm going to have information overload for a while...:huh:

I do have some old, junk paracord around so I should be able to start messing up right away..lol.

Since I most likely won't be producing anything of quality for a while. Would there be any chance of paying one of you guys to make me something nice for one of the previously mentioned lights?

Thanks.

phaserrifle

Newly Enlightened
best i can do is short paracord things, which I use to help me open stuff (pouch lids ect) or as a keyring. past that it's loops of paracord and a figure of eight knot.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Tried another with black 550 paracord and 1/8" Cool Glow Stuff cord on a 2C LED Maglite. It's tightened up over the knurled section, so it doesn't move at all.

CIMG5925.jpg

CIMG5927.jpg

jasonp

Newly Enlightened
thought I'd jump in here. Here's a camera lanyard I did:
original.jpg

a PFD zipper pull for when I go kayak fishing. TX state law requires a whistle on board when kayaking. The whistle is the closure here and the extra swivel is to attach clippers (to clip fishing line):
original.jpg

Here's one I just did. I found a road killed Western Diamondback rattle snake so I relieved him of his rattle. I did the round weave to a point, I screwed the tip of a short phillips head screw into the middle of the weave, epoxied the rattle to the head of the screw and then finished up the weave around the base of the rattle and over the screw. The finish didn't turn out as good as I'd wished. It still looks really cool in person.
original.jpg

I'm just learning. Stormdrain's stuff is inspirational.
Jason

Last edited:

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Jason, those look great and adding that snake rattle is a neat touch. :D

I put up a video tutorial for the 16 lead 3 bight turks head knot. It can take a while to make them start to finish, so I just showed the start in making the first pass, so if someone's familiar with those types of knots, I think they'll be able to follow it.

Here's one(16L3B) that I put on a CMG Infinity Ultra with about 12 feet of 1.4mm cord.

CIMG5968.jpg

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Here's a Gerber Infinity Ultra with a long 3 bight turks head knot with 1.4mm braided nylon cord and 1mm green cotton cord. And a single strand lanyard with two loops and the ends buried inside the doubled lanyard knot and a small Nite Ize S-biner.

CIMG6062.jpg

And another one done with 1.4mm cord on a small Eddie Bauer/Coast flashlight. I extended one of the bights for use as a wrist lanyard and went over that strand with a cobra stitch(Solomon bar/Portuguese sinnet).

CIMG6079.jpg

Last edited: