Post your home-made lanyard photos!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostrider

Enlightened
I've been busy and haven't posted lanyard pics in over two weeks.

Here's some.

Black FAF with black/purple/light blue whipping.

Blue Mini-JFBF with blue and maroon Circle Stitch.

Woodland camo Mini-JFBF with tan and brown Circle Stitch.

Tan Mini-JFBF with desert camo and tan Square Stitch.

ghostrider

Enlightened
Here's a couple I did tonight.

Circle Stitch: White and navy blue with a red loop going through.

Never did this one before.
Twist Stitch: Red, white, and royal blue.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
I got a few 1.125" ball bearings to try out in a larger/heavier monkey fist. The larger fist with the extra turns is definately harder and takes longer than the smaller ones.

lmf1.jpg

Ralf

Enlightened
Wow awesome thread.

So much to learn ...

Stormedrane, which knots have you used here.
I can see a Monkeys Fist, round sinnet but this
one between the MF and the round sinnet I don't
know ...

Cheers
Ralf

Stormdrane

Enlightened
I made this variation of a paracord bracelet into a wrist strap. I attached it to an old camera for the photo, but I think it'd work for a larger flashlight or lantern.

paracordwriststrap.jpg

ghostrider

Enlightened
Finally figured out how to do 12 working ends over the weekend. Of course my new CF Subcom F needed my signature FAF.

ghostrider

Enlightened
Neon (blaze) orange and hunter green Cobra Twist, with a Knife Lanyard Knot.

Neon orange and hunter green Double Twist.

Gray FAF, with black and silver whipping.

A few more for my CF SF. A Silver FAF with black and silver whipping, and a black and silver Cobra Twist.

cosine

Newly Enlightened
I'm just starting to get into this, and I've got a question...

Do you have to put something in the middle of a Monkey's Fist to get a smooth and even knot? None of mine ever turn out nicely. They just kind of bunch and ball up.

ghostrider

Enlightened
cosine said:

Do you have to put something in the middle of a Monkey's Fist to get a smooth and even knot? None of mine ever turn out nicely. They just kind of bunch and ball up.

It isn't necessary however, some cord is easier to use for the Monkey's Fist than others. If the cord is flat like a shoestring, it wont work very well. Some paracord lays flatter than others, so it won't work as well as the paracord that seems stiffer and rounder. The paracord that lays flatter will feel somewhat "loose" compared to the cord that doesn't lay as flat, and it feels somewhat "tighter" and "more dense".

Having a marble, or some type of ball inside will allow the turns to look more uniform, but the trade off is that they can tend to slide, while this won't happen in a Monkey's Fist done without the marble. I personally found it easier to learn without the marble, YMMV. I don't know how "smooth and even" you want it, but most people who look at mine think they are pretty good, and I don't usually use a marble or BB. All the Monkey's Fists in posts 128 and 129 are done without anything in the center.

The main thing is learning what I refer to as "the anatomy of the knot". Once you learn that, then you'll start working out what method is best for you to gradually tighten it (that's where your at now). I imagine it's one of those things that some people have their own way of doing. Key thing is to gradually tighten it.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
cosine said:

For the monkey fist you can use something like a small wad of paper or plastic, a round rubber ball, a round cork(fishing bobber), but a marble or ball bearing will will give a more solid center to the fist, at least for me it was easier learning with those.

Ghostrider makes a great point on "gradually" tightening the knot up. I work around the knot several times, making it just slightly tighter each time, and that helps keep the lines straight and from being twisted and getting tangled.

Last edited:

ghostrider

Enlightened
Stormdrane said:
...I work around the knot several times, making it just slightly tighter each time, and that helps keep the lines straight and from being twisted and getting tangled.
That's another great point. It's important to keep them from getting twisted. Getting them twisted can make them tangled. and it will also not look as uniform. The gradual tightening allows you to correct this as it happens.

Stormdrane

Enlightened
A couple of monkey fist fobs and a detachable keychain lanyard with swivel clip and keyring, made from Coleman brand cord found at wallyworld.

colemancord.jpg

Stormdrane

Enlightened
Here's a paracord bracelet i just made(made larger, it would make a nice dog/cat collar). It's not a lanyard, but it could be used as a holder for a Maglite if you attached it to a belt or beltloop and the same knots used can be used for a variety of lanyards. I used TAD Gear glow-in-the-dark cord and some black reflective paracord(reflective cord is sold by 1sks.com, but only in 1000ft spools-if enough people asked, maybe they'd sell it in smaller amounts-hint). I got a small amount from a friend, and I'm not selling, just sharing ideas, so please don't ask. The photos show the bracelet in normal light, in total dark, and the reflective paracord really shines when lit from a flashlight in the dark(bracelet on top of chair back).

gitdreflective2.jpg

gitdreflective.jpg

gitdreflective3.jpg

magliteholder.jpg

ghostrider

Enlightened
Here's some I did a couple weeks ago.

FAF's in hunter green, maroon, and silver. All with black and silver whipping. A King Cobra with hunter green and woodland camo, and a Cobra Twist with the same.

The King Cobra

The Cobra Twist

ghostrider

Enlightened
Here's another Gander_Man designed JFBF. Black and woodland camo, with a shortened stem. Stainless steel, 440C, ball bearing is one-inch diameter.

ghostrider

Enlightened
Here's a few more.

Here's one of my FAF's done in the reflective cord.

Under the light.

When it isn't under the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts