Post Your Rotary Settings

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can send you the manual that I've been using if you need it

yes please.. LOL!
or just a link if you have an online source for the model you sold DS, or photos of the Options Menu list, and Factory reset instructions...

or at least, can you confirm the Options Menu list, and Factory Reset info, is the same as I posted above for FW 2.18?:)

and while Im interfering.. do you know what firmware version, or what year model, the Tactical Rotary you sold DS is?

and this for desert.snake
a "Reset" and a "Factory Reset", are not the same thing

a Reset is automatic, and detects the battery type, it does not change presets nor options menu choices
Factory Reset is NOT automatic, and resets the Presets and Options to Factory Defaults

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
So much confusion)) I think we are a little distant from the main topic. And so there is a thought - did Henry or Hogo have the version of the manual for each version of the firmware somewhere on the computer? It would be cool in FAQ, where the department about the firmware version, put in front of each mentioned version the opportunity to download its manual for this firmware version :)

I had such flashes now - 00011001 0000010 00001010, ie version 2.10 250 lm

• 2.10 - released December 2013 - Rotary Tactical UI, calibration, internal cleanup, drop button lockout, locator flash enable option, rotary C & D presets to strobes, arbitrary exponent logarithmic spacing (always 24 levels), minimum to 0.02 lumens, flicker mode (undocumented, 5 clicks from off).

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.10 - released December 2013... minimum to 0.02 lumens, flicker mode (undocumented, 5 clicks from off).

well done!
so much learning!

thats great you have the lower low
and now you can confirm you have V2.1 by the 5 click to candle mode

since you dont have button lock, the Options menu will be different than on FW 2.18
I agree it would be good to be able to find the manual for each firmware revision

here are two I have 2.0 and 2.18, but I have not found 2.1, yet.. Peter has it ;-)
DgsbzQq.png

since each option has a blink response, you should be able to figure out which option numbers your FW 2.1 has...

for example, in the above Options lists, Button Lock changed position number, but it remained indicated consistently, by a Triple Flash. Burst also changed Option Numbers, but is consistently indicated by brighter-dimmer. Same for other Options, the numbered position may change, but the blinky code that identifies which option you are on, stays the same..

grab a pencil and paper, get your Tactical Rotary into the Options menu with tripleclick, press-hold, release
and write your Options sequence down..

1. Force Preset.. etc ;-)

have fun :)

Your Optional homework is to write up your Presets and Options preferences, as factory defaults, and as you choose to customize them. Or not. :)

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Done now, it's fun))

Now all 3 modes are transferred from the absolute strobe to the default modes, stroboscope fun thing.

I thought that the Tactical Rotary has 4 modes - A, B, C, D, and the very first mode A - maximum, then B - rotary, C - strobe, D - maximum, and mode D can be changed to something else. When I changed D to strobe, I saw that mode A also changed to strobe. But now I figured it all out :)

And I was wrong)) I have version 2.11, I made a short video to show add-ons, and then I thought that I should double-check myself with a video about the firmware version.

• 2.11 - released April 2014 - higher speed fast strobe per research studies, CCW in Tactical UI is rotary.

video 1 - it's not interesting at all, it counted flashes and found my mistake
https://youtu.be/rhX4yWg9LPU

video 2 - candle mode and add-ons are shown here (burst, locator flash and other)

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Done now, it's fun))
now I figured it all out :)

Yay! congratulations :)
enjoy!

I just learned from one of our "European" Mi6 Agents, in service to Her Majesty, that the Tactical Rotary has no Force Preset option. Click on "Customizing" to see the full manual on the HDS site:

Last edited:

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
Great reading above, learning about past firmware and lights, and I settled on this pretty quickly,

A Max
B Rotary
C slow strobe
D Tactical Strobe

everything else is off except for locator flash, and auto shut off. Both of those are on. Both my lights set up this way. Menus off too.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great reading above, learning about past firmware and lights, and I settled on this pretty quickly,

A Max
B Rotary
C slow strobe
D Tactical Strobe

everything else is off except for locator flash, and auto shut off. Both of those are on. Both my lights set up this way. Menus off too.

The locator flash and auto shut off seem to be popular features. At first, I did not like the lock out, but I've recently found a use for it. I wonder if, with time, you'll find a reason to leave programming menus enabled. It's expedient to make changes on the fly, even with the rotary.

On another note, Go Cards! As a Missouri resident, you're no doubt hoping for a turn around in 2019!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I settled on this pretty quickly,

A Max
B Rotary
C slow strobe
D Tactical Strobe

I like consistency between my HDS UI lights too, one rotary, 2 clicky novatacs, all High CRI
A Max
B Rotary (or minimum on a clicky), Forced On enabled
C Level 18, about 18 lumens
D Tactical Strobe

Programming enabled for the clickies,
so I can ramp up the brightness of Preset B, which I do often

On the Rotary I dont need access to programming,
I just turn the dial to ramp up or down.

I dont change my Options Menu defaults, except I keep programming enabled on all my HDS UI lights... for, consistency :)

Im still hanging on to all my clicky training.. I cant really believe the Rotary dial on the HDS, can really be All I need.. but.. actually.. ;-) A Factory default Rotary except with a strobe on Preset D, pretty much covers it for me..

Oh, except, I turn Burst (Step Down @ 40 seconds), OFF
(I seldom use max on the dial, and Preset A only for a couple seconds at a time (and btw, Burst Step Down, is not implemented when using Preset A momentary)
but
it bugs the crap out of me when my light changes modes by itself. I react to Burst Step Down, as if Ive got a battery issue.. I dont need no stinkin Burst Step Down.. ymmv

Commodorefirst

Newly Enlightened
The locator flash and auto shut off seem to be popular features. At first, I did not like the lock out, but I've recently found a use for it. I wonder if, with time, you'll find a reason to leave programming menus enabled. It's expedient to make changes on the fly, even with the rotary.

On another note, Go Cards! As a Missouri resident, you're no doubt hoping for a turn around in 2019!

i just like counting to a high click number, lol. Yes, hope for the Cards runs eternal in my blood.

TomK85

Newly Enlightened
Small kick for this topic [emoji6]

For my High Noon / 325 NLT / SS40 / 250 the following

A = Maximum
B = Rotary
C = Level 16 (like the Executive)
D = Level 20 (like the Executive)

Turn On Preset = Off except for the UV. You can't see it's working on the lowest levels. So have it start at preset C (level 16)
Automatic Turn Off = On
Button Lockout = On
Locator Flash = On (off for UV)
Pseudo Momentary = On
True Momentary = Off
Burst = On
Menus = On

Last edited:

MTRun!

Newly Enlightened
Giving this a bump for quarantine reprogramming time.
My daily/nightly user:

A = Level 24 (max 200 lm)
B = Level 14 (turn on)
C = Rotary
D = Pulsating Strobe

Turn On Preset = On*
Automatic Turn Off = On
Button Lockout = Off
Locator Flash = Off
Pseudo Momentary = On
True Momentary = Off
Burst = On
Menus = Off

*Loving the turn on preset. I didn't fully appreciate this one before, so now I leave it in either my preset Rotary mode (C) or leave it at a suitable night preset like a clicky (B) depending on my mood, or just double click to swap between the two.

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
A = Maximum
B = Rotary Control
C = Pulsating Strobe
D = Fast Strobe

Turn On Preset = Off
Automatic Turn Off = Off
Button Lockout = Off
Locator Flash = Off
Pseudo Momentary = On
True Momentary = Off
Burst = On
Menus = Off

My timing between Button Lockout and preset C is poor enough to warrant disabling Button Lockout to avoid the aggravation...

Last edited: