Power Outage, How many Lumens, How many batteries? (for lights and more)

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
without using my solar panel for charging and just using my existing flashlights as they are right now, I could keep us going for a month quite easily (I have about 70 lights all with batteries and fully charged always). with my solar panel I could keep us going forever. I have a generator as well but I would never use it in SHTF scenario because it makes too much noise and would attract too much attention.
I have over 1000 wax candles as well, not to mention several oil/parafin lamps and heaters (and a couple of gallons of parafin), a couple of gas lanterns with a case of 24 gas tanks.

if it makes Light, I`v probably got one somewhere! LOL

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I live in rural Idaho. When I first moved here, outages were too common. Now, not so much. We have a 4 Streamlight Seige AA lanterns which use three AA batteries (we use rechargeables), have an assortment of flashlights, and a Honda 2000g generator. We keep spare food, water, etc. I have battery back-up for the wi-fi/router (good for 6-8 hours). We also have the usual stash of candles. It seems our occasional outages are consistent at no more than three hours. We also own a house in town about 15 miles away where power almost never is out at the same time so there's that as an alternative.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I never thought of that. I didn't even know such a critter existed. Do you have more info on this and any recommendations? Perhaps a separate thread would be in order?
I have one that I bought from a thrift store for a few dollars that I'm not sure if it works or not since it uses a lead acid battery that was dead. It is a 12v setup with a DC plug on the end of the cord you plug it into the router/modem and plug it into the wall using it like a UPS.
IMO unless you can buy one of these cheaper than a small UPS I would rather have a small UPS instead as you could plug other things into it perhaps a radio or something.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I never thought of that. I didn't even know such a critter existed. Do you have more info on this and any recommendations? Perhaps a separate thread would be in order?

I bought it at Costco. Called a CyberPower uninterruptible power supply. Can't tell you much other than it works and also acts as a surge protector.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I have a UPS in the studio, it helps keep line noise down (better for recording) and lsats long enough to finish a recording is the power ever went out during a session, it`s 24V (2 12v SLA) and runs a good half hour (if I`m not using the PA gear).
The wi-fi router I have doesn`t have mains in directly but uses a wall wart (not sure of the voltage) but it would be a fairly trivial issue to make a battery backed PSU for it and not even have to think about inverter circuitry! :D

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just looked at mine.... Belkin battery backup unit Rev B. It uses a 12V 7A battery (standard size). It seems to have good ratings on Amazon but I don't think you can buy it any more new and any UPS older than a few years will in the near future most likely have the battery go bad on it and SLAs aren't cheap to buy locally about $25-$40 for one. I used to buy them for $10 each but then the lead mine owners did an OPEC type thing and the price of lead went way up and has never come down.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I just looked at mine.... Belkin battery backup unit Rev B. It uses a 12V 7A battery (standard size). It seems to have good ratings on Amazon but I don't think you can buy it any more new and any UPS older than a few years will in the near future most likely have the battery go bad on it and SLAs aren't cheap to buy locally about $25-$40 for one. I used to buy them for $10 each but then the lead mine owners did an OPEC type thing and the price of lead went way up and has never come down.

My unit is at least 6-7 years old and seems to be working fine, so far. As we both work at home, it's been a lifesaver. While we have cell phones with hotspot capability, we're pretty remote and rely on wi-fi calling for solid connections. Point being, I need a battery back-up other than running an extension cord from my Honda 2000 into the house.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
My unit is at least 6-7 years old and seems to be working fine, so far. As we both work at home, it's been a lifesaver. While we have cell phones with hotspot capability, we're pretty remote and rely on wi-fi calling for solid connections. Point being, I need a battery back-up other than running an extension cord from my Honda 2000 into the house.
Good quality SLAs can last 10-12 years but no guarantee they will last 5 even. The one thing that is good about any UPS that uses 1 battery is in an emergency you could remove a large battery from a vehicle or boat and connect it in place of the small SLA.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
Good quality SLAs can last 10-12 years but no guarantee they will last 5 even. The one thing that is good about any UPS that uses 1 battery is in an emergency you could remove a large battery from a vehicle or boat and connect it in place of the small SLA.

I'd rather run my generator. ;)

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'd rather run my generator. ;)
For smaller loads a lead acid battery is cheaper than a lot of gas to keep a generator running. You can use the battery for hours and not have to run the generator all the time.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
During hurricane/Super storm Sandy, it took a LOT of gas to keep my gennie running. Yes it is true that those little 2K Hondas sip fuel, but they do need to be fed.
We don't get hurricanes here other than a football team but I did get a 12v tv set and 12v blu-ray player so I can run them off a car battery if needed.

Poppy

Flashaholic
In the book by Cody Lundin ( 1/2 of the dual survivor team) titled:
98.6 degrees The Art Of Keeping Your *** alive.

Spoke of creating a micro climate in one room rather than try to heat the entire house/apartment, or car for that matter.

One of the many things he suggested is to use those cheap mylar emergency blankets to block sunlight, and reflect heat back outdoors, during the summer, OR to reflect heat back into the house in the winter.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Having a gas stove helped somewhat during the four days we were without power after Sandy. I kept two big pots of water boiling all the time, refilling as needed. This humidified the air, making it feel warmer, and kept the house in the 60s at least when it was 30s outside. Not sure how great that would work if it's 0°F outside.

The best longer term solution is better insulation, which reduces heating and cooling bills anyway. Our house naturally holds 15° to 20° F above the outdoor temperature. So we really don't need heat until it gets into the high 40s/low 50s. I'd like to increase that delta to 40 degrees or more if possible so we don't need heat until it gets under about 30. Problem is retrofitting a 1950s house with better insulation is problematic. The new windows we got in 1994 helped a lot but we still lose quite a bit through the walls. I would imagine today's windows would do even better.

EDIT: Boredom is as much a problem as keeping warm when the power is out. We use electricity in literally every facet of our lives. I was bored out of my mind during those four days. In fact, since I know I can get surplus batteries really cheap, like for $100 or less per kW-hr, online, I might look into getting an inverter and having a whole house battery backup. That will let me keep the central heat on, although I would need a huge battery bank to keep the AC going in the summers for any length of time. Climate control is really the single biggest use of energy anyway. Everything else we need probably uses well under 1 kW, with the fridge being the biggest user at maybe 50 kW-hr/month. I noticed on days when we need no heating or cooling our base power use is around 8 or 9 kW-hr per day. I could probably cut that to under 5 in an emergency. 20 kW-hrs of batteries would be good for up to 4 days then. I don't think we've ever had the power out longer than that. With solar panels and battery back up it should be possible to ride through power outages of any length.

Last edited:

Shooter21

Enlightened
We lost power for 3 weeks during hurricane Sandy. Luckily we had a generator otherwise I would have gone crazy. I have lots of batteries and lights so lighting wasn't an issue.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just got notified by the power company here that they are going to start rolling outages for about 2 hours as the grid cannot keep up with the demand due to record cold in this region. I hope it happens mid day instead of late at night when it starts to drop down into the single digits again as I don't have any working heating source that doesn't require power. When I get my own house I will make sure and put in either a generator system and switch so I can power the house when we have a major outage and/or separate heaters that don't need fans that can keep the house warm enough to not need to leave. I am prepared for everything in an outage but extreme cold weather that requires massive heating.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
I am prepared for everything in an outage but extreme cold weather that requires massive heating.
We live in rural west-central Wisconsin. It was 19° below zero yesterday morning and 22° below the other day. We've gotten into the 30's below in the past. We go for several weeks, at this time of the year, with below zero lows (sometimes highs too). We have an LP furnace, a pellet stove (in the finished basement where the bedrooms are, which gets it warm down there and helps (can) heat the entire house), and a wood burning fireplace on the first floor. In the almost 16-years that we've lived here we rarely get power outages however, when we do, they never last for more than a few hours. If we did get frequent and/or long term outages, I'd get a battery backup for the pellet stove and consider a fancy generator hookup. My advice is, if you live in a cold climate, have at least two sources of heat, one which doesn't require electricity, and a seasons worth of fuel for it. A wood burning stove is a great backup and much more efficient than a fireplace. Many folks up here have them and use them as a primary heat source with their furnace as the backup (free firewood in the North Woods). We keep enough pellets (5-tons) on hand to heat the whole house with all winter if need be. Additionally, we stock several cords of wood. We like a fire in the evenings anyway and it saves on LP and NOTHING beats a wood fire for warmth.

Last edited: