• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Pre-payment for the HAIII black SF-III. ENDED!

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pre-payment for the HAIII black SF-III.

PM sent to switch to the Titanium! :wave:

PM sent to undo the switch to the Titanium... :crazy:

This preorder stays as it currently is.

Am I going mad or being driven crazy? It's the result that counts! :sick:

qarawol

Enlightened

**EDIT**CORRECTION** Jan 27 2010 **NO LONGER AVAILABLE AS AN OPTION**

The Nichia 119T LED can now be used on this run of SF-III's with no added cost. Originally these LED's were spec'd at 2 watts but they can be pushed to be driven to 3 watts with 'aprox' 380+ lumen output.

Now you have 3 LED's to choose from.

The Nichia ones 'maybe' the better choice for a user Flashlight because the converter used does not have to work as hard as the other 2 when using a single cell power source. This should translate to longer runtime with minimal added converter heat.

Looks like I need one of each.

Njoy...

**EDIT**CORRECTION** Jan 27 2010 **NO LONGER AVAILABLE AS AN OPTION**

Last edited:

SCblur

Enlightened

How would the output/beam pattern/throw and runtime compare between the ostar smt and the nichia emitters?

proline

Enlightened

Spoke with Mike today. He is a bit under the weather but wanted me to convey to all that the work goes on... :D

Seriously interested in adding to the Standard grip list:

# 2 to go with #1

Standard grip list:

1. proline 15 watt Ostar
2. proline 15 watt Ostar

Combat grip list:

1. proline 15 watt Ostar

qarawol

Enlightened

*** ATTENTION *** CORRECTION ***

The Nichia 119T WILL NOT be available for the SF-III run.

MJ is still a bit under the weather and will post and answer PM/emails as soon as he feels better.

Njoy...

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, came down with a severe case of the flu and had been trying to sleep it off. Finally feeling better and will be a bit faster responding to PM.

ARC mania

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

I am extending the pre-pay until the 31st of January.

ARC mania

Mike, is the SST-50 still available as an option, and if so, what driver and reflector will you be using for that light?

Have you determined the drive level (High/Max setting) for the SMT and the six Ostar LED's?

Hope you're feeling better :)

Thanks,
TB

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast

TranquillityBase: Yes, the SST-50 version is available. The reflector used will be a machined down MC-E reflector made by Fraen. The max setting in high for the 15 watt Ostar and Ostar SMT is 10 watts. This is the same setting as the SF-III OD which finished recently.

I am finally getting over the flu but still at 60%. Now my wife has the flu :(

I am extending this pre-pay another 3 more days as I've been left with broken promises from some members. So the cut off will be the 3rd of February.

ARC mania

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

TranquillityBase: Yes, the SST-50 version is available. The reflector used will be a machined down MC-E reflector made by Fraen. The max setting in high for the 15 watt Ostar and Ostar SMT is 10 watts. This is the same setting as the SF-III OD which finished recently.

I am finally getting over the flu but still at 60%. Now my wife has the flu :(

I am extending this pre-pay another 3 more days as I've been left with broken promises from some members. So the cut off will be the 3rd of February.

ARC mania

Sounds like the SMT will be driven at or near spec., and the 6 die in the 500mA range? Are you finding the 6 die Vf to be in the 19 volt range, and the SMT Vf's near 13 volts?

Thanks,
TB

ArsMachina

Enlightened

TranquillityBase: Yes, the SST-50 version is available. The reflector used will be a machined down MC-E reflector made by Fraen. The max setting in high for the 15 watt Ostar and Ostar SMT is 10 watts.

Mike, I am still unsure about the LED and how they do perform.
Can you perhaps give a circa value un Lumen, so I can better imagine that?

I do know the 15W Ostar as it is driven in the SF-V
I do know the SST-50 in my ME-II which is a little below in brightness.
How will the 15W Ostar driven at 10W be compared to these two?

I found out that a downturned MCR38 works VERY well with a 15W Ostar.
Maybe it will also work well with the SST-50?

I believe a Fraen reflector is not perfect with the SST-50 ...
How will be the beam ot the SST-50 with the Fraen reflector (more lik ethe Ostar 15W or more like the Ostar SMT)

Jochen

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast

TranquillityBase: As mentioned earlier both the 15 watt Ostar and the Ostar SMT will be driven at 10 watts. The Ostar SMT being very slightly over driven and the 15 watt Ostar driven above 500ma. You are correct on the VF of the 15 watt Ostar however the VF of the Ostar SMT is way under 13 volts. I thought in your earlier post you were interested in the SST-50. Are you going to pre-pay for an under-driven 15 watt Ostar version, Ostar SMT version or an SST-50 version :)

ArsMachina: An underdriven 15 watt Ostar is still plenty due to having 6 dies which equals more light surface area. Brightness wise its brighter than your SST-50 ME II and closer to your SF-V. Using a machined down Fraen reflector with an SST-50 produces a beam pattern thats in between a flood and spot. Similar to an XP-G's beam. I know I had a McR38 somewhere in my house.... If I get hold of an McR38, I'll machine it down and take a look at the beam pattern. Hope this answers your questions.

A couple more days before ending the pre-pay.

ARC mania

ArsMachina

Enlightened

Mike, thanks for your answer.
There is no need to make test with the MCR38 I will stay with the 15W Ostar and the Fraen reflector.

Jochen

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast

TranquillityBase: As mentioned earlier both the 15 watt Ostar and the Ostar SMT will be driven at 10 watts. The Ostar SMT being very slightly over driven and the 15 watt Ostar driven above 500ma. You are correct on the VF of the 15 watt Ostar however the VF of the Ostar SMT is way under 13 volts. I thought in your earlier post you were interested in the SST-50. Are you going to pre-pay for an under-driven 15 watt Ostar version, Ostar SMT version or an SST-50 version :)

Mike, I am interested in all three...I had a SF-V and that was a very impressive light. However I'm not impressed with that particular LED at lower drive levels.

I see the SMT is a 3.6 ~ 4.0 Vf LED ( I assumed it was similar to the older version of the Ostar 4 die :eek:)...

I'm also familiar with the SST-50, although not with the reflector you're proposing to use. What drive level will the SST-50 be set for, high/max, and what driver will you be using for that light?

Prepay is OK, but only if I know exactly what I will receive :)

Thanks,
TB

ARC mania

Flashlight Enthusiast

TranquillityBase: I really hate to get into numbers as it allows copycats ideas. Are you just interested or interested to pre-pay? Some of the numbers I would like to keep to myself as they are the tricks of the trade and hope you understand. Regarding the under-driven Ostar 15 watt LED version, I hate to do this but if you can ask Metatron (or maybe he can post here on this thread.) for some lux readings, I am sure that he will be happy to give them to you. Also, he can tell you about its performance in a under-driven state which is very impressive. As for the SST-50 and Ostar SMT here are some numbers of "exactly" what you will get:

Ostar SMT: High - 700ma, med - 275ma, low - 50ma The dies of this LED are driven in series for its application in the SF-III.

SST-50: High - 2.8 amps, med - 900ma, low - 150ma. I am using a down converter to drive this LED.

Hope this answers all your questions to help you decide on what you want. If this isn't enough, you can look at the old SF-III thread for perfomance details which were posted by member's who purchased an SF-III. I also mention exactly what you will get on the first post of this thread.

ARC mania

Last edited: