• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Project Genesis - Sky Lumen Nguyen (It's Here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Re: Will you support my 1st light? "Project Genesis"

I really appreciate the offer. I might even take it up if I need it. But I think the sale should do most of it. I have been saving since the beginning of the year so I got a pretty good amount set aside.

gsteve

Enlightened

how many batteries you thinking? I love the single batt models.

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have done pre-order before but in this case I don't have the cost numbers in hand yet. We are still in the computer design phase. Once I have at least a Proto-type model in hand then may be I will do a pre-order.

O.k. Just know there are those willing to do it.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Will you support my 1st light?

Did you see this?

Unless I am mistaken, Vinh just told us that the electrical pathway does not run through the body of the light: it has a dedicated conductor (heavy-gauge copper, most likely) from the negative-terminal up to the head.

And *that* is why the extra resistance of the body does not matter!

It also might mean that the light is using multiple cells and has a battery carrier that is the electrical pathway between driver and cells, while the tube of the host is just a passive carrier.

night.hoodie

Enlightened

Probably not, but not for the price nor any details shared. I will be emotionally supportive, and I'll support you financially with custom work at every opportunity I have. Reasons being, and idk where I get these expectations, because you have not mentioned such details, but I would expect to see a design that I am not attracted to, which usually include crenellations, PWM-laden driver (which might very well be essential for your target outputs and thermal design) and possibly pineapple knurling. If I'm way wrong, and it is with diamond knurling, and a smooth bezel with fixed focus, a single neutral emitter, and CC constant current and regulated, yet retaining your previous interface, then that would compell me to at least desire it, if not reverse my negative reply enthusiastically to "hells yes." You know you can't please everyone, and my sensitivities are not universal to all flashaholics. I have little doubt your venture will ultimately be successful.

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Probably not, but not for the price nor any details shared. I will be emotionally supportive, and I'll support you financially with custom work at every opportunity I have. Reasons being, and idk where I get these expectations, because you have not mentioned such details, but I would expect to see a design that I am not attracted to, which usually include crenellations, PWM-laden driver (which might very well be essential for your target outputs and thermal design) and possibly pineapple knurling. If I'm way wrong, and it is with diamond knurling, and a smooth bezel with fixed focus, a single neutral emitter, and CC constant current and regulated, yet retaining your previous interface, then that would compell me to at least desire it, if not reverse my negative reply enthusiastically to "hells yes." You know you can't please everyone, and my sensitivities are not universal to all flashaholics. I have little doubt your venture will ultimately be successful.

From the sound of it Genesis will have nothing you don't like and everything you do....Welll....Minus the Diamond knurlings... :p

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

It also might mean that the light is using multiple cells and has a battery carrier that is the electrical pathway between driver and cells, while the tube of the host is just a passive carrier.

I will discuss this detail sometime...

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Concrete Project Genesis Details:
1. Made in USA - Electronics, Host & Assembly

2. 7075 Aluminum Housing - Most flashlights are made of 6061 Aluminum

• 6061 VS Structural Carbon Steel VS 7075
  • Brinell hardness: 95 VS 140 VS 150
  • Ultimate Tensile Strength: 310Mpa VS 480Mpa VS 565Mpa
  • Shear Strength: 207Mpa VS 300Mpa VS 331Mpa

3. 3mm thick Anti-Reflective Tempered/Safety Lens

• Most lens are 1-2mm. Usually only the big boys like BLF GT and X65 sport ~3mm Lens. Heat treatment characteristic unknown.
  • I worked at Northwestern Industries (A glass company) for 2 summers in college.
  • Here I learned both glass and will are much stronger when tempered.
  • The slow cooling heat treatment process makes the glass tempered and thus under constant pressure from edge to edge.
  • Tempered glass are 4 times stronger than regular/annealed glass.
  • Strength Example: 1/4" Tempered = 1" Annealed (Impact and scratch resistant improved accordingly.)
  • It also break relatively safer into smaller pieces as oppose to longer sharp edges of the annealed.

4. Type III Anodization (Black Color)

• Anodization quality vary from one manufacture to another although most claimed Type III
  • I have not yet examine the quality of this USA shop to conclude
  • Tail cap thread anodize = Physical/mechanical lock out, no parasitic drain, safe transport
  • I discussed General info regarding anodization here

5. Form & Dimensions

• Among shortest in class yet able to accept all varieties of cell length
  • Sleek and minimalist with a touch of industrial exterior design
  • Minimal laser engravings
  • Tail stand & Anti-roll
  • Least body housing parts assembly for strength & reliability
  • Thick housing wall for strength
  • Numerous thread for strength and smoothness
  • Double Oring at body ends for reliable water resistance

6. Diving Potential

• High quality O-Rings
  • Dual thick Orings at all entry points
  • O-Rings lubed all around before assembly

7. Impact Resistance

• 3mm tempered glassed cushioned on both side
  • Extra thick housing at high stress impact edges

Last edited:

caddylover

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds good vinh. I haven't bought Too Many Lights lately got other Hobbies I'm into now. But, keep me on your email list and I will check it out when you are done. Good luck

lmcmann

Newly Enlightened

I'm interested. 250ish for a maxed version? Sounds great!

trailhunter

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sounds good vinh. I haven't bought Too Many Lights lately got other Hobbies I'm into now. But, keep me on your email list and I will check it out when you are done. Good luck
What other hobbies you into

Zip621z

Newly Enlightened

I'm always game for a new light designed by a pro! You already offer awesome products and have a great reputation.

Bring it on SkyLumen.

Icehole

Enlightened

Vinh,

I am in for 2, maxed out, sight (and specs -mostly) unseen. (Subliminal ... THROWER...😁)
I will pay in advance, and in full.
Name it.

Best of luck with your continued success.

Many years ago, you wrote me that you could not afford to keep a copy of most of your creations, and only could keep a few.
I am upping this order to purchase an additional light, dibs on your first, as a gift to you.

David

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened

Man...That's some serious support! I cant wait until its finished to see what you think :)

Once the light is done I will Do a video review of course and then beam shots of all the options.

Soooo looking forward to it!!

Vinh,

I am in for 2, maxed out, sight (and specs -mostly) unseen. (Subliminal ... THROWER...😁)
I will pay in advance, and in full.
Name it.

Best of luck with your continued success.

Many years ago, you wrote me that you could not afford to keep a copy of most of your creations, and only could keep a few.
I am upping this order to purchase an additional light, dibs on your first, as a gift to you.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.