Project Lamplighter - my homemade LED keychain fob

PointyOintment

Newly Enlightened
First, these look fantastic, including the original PVC tube prototype. Now I want to make one with some tiny solar panels (BPW34 or similar) so it recharges itself, with either supercapacitors or polyacene cells for energy storage. Also only turn on in the dark, using either the solar panels or the LED as a light sensor.

As much as I might pine for one, I do not own a metal lathe, nor have I ever even operated one. I imagine the noise of one in full operation is probably somewhere between a Saturn V launch and a car accident, so I don't know how much my neighbours would appreciate me placing one in my backyard.

As you probably know by now (having taken a machining course and done lots of turning), a lathe should generally be pretty quiet in operation. If it's making a loud noise, you're doing something wrong (cutting too aggressively/not aggressively enough, not using enough lubricant, etc.).

That's it for pictures right now. I'm currently working out a graceful way to remove the batteries. It's possible right now, but it's somewhat... violent.

Isopropyl alcohol usually dissolves hot glue.

photooo.jpg
Blur your keys!!

You can see how spending $3600 on 100 pieces of a product that I don't even know if I can sell is a pretty tough pill to swallow though, eh? I've thought about starting a feeler thread to gauge interest, but haven't had a chance to yet. Maybe I should post a couple renders and see what people think of the design...

Anyways, I've saved 70% of the amount so far, so we'll see how long it takes to hoard the rest. I'll be sure to update the thread when we get there!
progresst.png

The Kickstarter community would love this project. (Machined metal: check. Steampunk-ish: check. Durable: check. EDC: check. Useful for one tiny purpose and nothing else: check. Etc.) I know you said you want to pay for it out of pocket so nobody else loses money if it goes bad, but I think you've proven that you can deliver. If you do put this on KS, make sure your campaign page looks somewhat slick, because most backers (including me) very quickly disregard any campaign whose page looks like it was put together carelessly.

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mike,

I finally got my hands on the Lamplighter and it's a cool piece! I put it on my necklace and it now resides around my neck :)

Thank you for letting me have #006!

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome Ryan, I hope it treats you right and glows well into the night for you. :)

firefly99

Enlightened
Sorry to dig up this old thread, cannot help noticing our similiarity.
I'm a flashlight enthusiast who's been dabbling in hobby electronics lately.

Buying sprees of surface mount components
I am building an inventory of surface mount components. I should have over 9000 LED after the next shipment of 3000+ LED is received.