Project Lamplighter - my homemade LED keychain fob

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in for one! This and your 1.5v project are so cool [emoji106]

Edit: looks like I got number 13! That's my birthday so if so it works out well.

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the post mk2rocco, I'll put you down on the interest list! The numbering hasn't worked quite like that so I make no guarantee which serial # you'll wind up with. ;)

This thread may be pretty quiet but things are still happening with this project. Our little guy is finally going to bed at a decent time which (sometimes) gives me a free hour in the evenings to putter. I haven't been posting updates because it's been rather boring work. Being a build log though I should probably post more frequently and let you guys decide if it's boring or not. :) I'll try to snap a few pics of what I've been doing tonight!

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
No problem, I'll just be excited to receive one of these! I'm sure everyone here would be interested in whatever kind of updates you post.

cnjl3

Enlightened
Being a build log though I should probably post more frequently and let you guys decide if it's boring or not. :) I'll try to snap a few pics of what I've been doing tonight!

I checked the first post and nothing new on it and then nothing posted after his above quote. I just thought that he implied that he might post some recent update(s). I know everyone loves pictures with a paragraph or two. Maybe I misunderstood?

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, new pics would be great. But I understand the maker is very busy. :)

ID01

Newly Enlightened
I checked the first post and nothing new on it and then nothing posted after his above quote. I just thought that he implied that he might post some recent update(s). I know everyone loves pictures with a paragraph or two. Maybe I misunderstood?

Thanks, that definitely saved me a bunch of time going through the pages since the first page actually looked really interesting. Always wanted to do something like this for a fallout get up, without the actual radiation, that is.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, that definitely saved me a bunch of time going through the pages since the first page actually looked really interesting. Always wanted to do something like this for a fallout get up, without the actual radiation, that is.

You'd be doing yourself an awful disservice by not checking out the middle pages of this thread ID01. Significant progress has been made and several CPF'ers have Lamplighters in their hot little hands.

I did not get the time to take pictures before leaving for a short holiday cnjl3. As soon as I'm unpacked I'll post a bigger update. As Icarus mentioned, my household is very busy lately so I'm doing my best. :eek:

Although.... I guess I do have one picture... I wonder if I should post it...
ohwowlamplighters.jpg

Another update with more details coming "soon". :devil:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys like sneak peeks at sample prototypes, right? :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Things like 3 window Lamplighters? :devil:
3lobedproto1.jpg

3lobedproto2.jpg

No?!?!? :shrug: Hmmm... well, what if they were machined by one of CPF's finest?
waitwaitwaitWHAT.jpg

Ah. NOW I have your attention. :eek: :devil:

Gotta hit the hay but I will post a longer update soon so stay tuned. Long story short, there is the distinct possibility that the most time-consuming and error-prone part of making a Lamplighter (the machining) could be done by a professional who does absolutely incredible work. This would leave me with just the glasswork, electronics and assembly, allowing me to produce them much more quickly than I could before. It also opens the door to more options like 2 or 3 window bodies or even different metals. There's still much work to do but the next step is to gauge interest (people other than those I already have on my list) so that I can size the run appropriately. This is probably best done in the CPF Custom forum where it will get more eyeballs so I'll let everyone know once I'm ready to start a post there. In the meantime, pop by this thread once in a while - things are getting exciting!

KuanR

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have my attention. Chris does incredible work.

Depending on price and different materials I am interested in another one.

sassaquin

Enlightened
Machining by Ogaz sounds great!

I'm on the list for a brass Lamplighter, but would love to also buy one made of copper if offered.

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is getting better and better. The 3 windows version looks stunning! :wow: :goodjob: :twothumbs

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is getting better and better. The 3 windows version looks stunning! :wow: :goodjob: :twothumbs

It's really nice in person. It was Chris' idea, not mine, so he deserves the credit. I'm not sure which style I like better to be honest: they're both good in different ways. The 2-window exposes much more of the LED but the 3-window adds a nice 3D depth that looks really good as you rotate it.

I'm super excited by the possibility of having the machine work done professionally (in case you can't tell). I just can't find the time to stand out in the garage for 3-4 hours per Lamplighter. It would take forever to make even a dozen of them at that rate and that's assuming no scrapped pieces. I can find the time to assemble the glass/electronic envelopes however, so I think this is a great way to be able to offer these to anyone who wants one within a timeframe that doesn't stretch into 2016. Plus his machine work is so much cleaner than mine.

I did mention different metals, right?
whoacopper.jpg

I really dislike prepays (we've all seen how sideways those can go) so I plan to bankroll this initial run completely out of pocket. It's not a small amount of money (especially for a dude with a new kid) so it's important to me that we make enough for everyone but not so many that I can't sell them. Right now the price I posted earlier in the thread is still my target, so if you're wondering what they'll cost, it's right around that.

cnjl3

Enlightened
I totally agree that the "three windows" looks stunning! I wonder which version would do a better job of preventing the glass breaking in a "Oops, I dropped my keys" scenario? Should we stock up on button cells? I really like the copper three windows one. Looks like your first run will be brass or copper. I would prefer a copper one if available.

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Ok, with no small amount of trepidation I've hit "Post" on the official sales thread over in the WTS Custom forum. I'm going to maintain the interest list over there now. If you've expressed interest and I have you on my list, please reply in that thread or send me a PM with your body material and body style.

If I have you on the list and you're no longer interested please let me know via PM.

Cheers!