Ra Clicky (HDS Systems EDC) - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
200 lumens out a high cri is pretty tough, I would also like to know about the burst mode, do high cri clickyies have burst, im sure this has been answered before, to google and beyond!

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Ok, so the 100 lm CRI basically has 22 levels instead of 23. Got it. Does that also mean there is not a burst mode and level 22 is calibrated for a one hour minimal use?

I think this will be my next purchase, does HDS produce any high CRI lights with higher output LEDs? I've read that in the past limited production of 200 lm EDC tactical lights were made. I understand these aren't typical and not listed on the HDS website but I'm curious if they do this with the high CRI model too.

The burst mode on all Ra lights is the advertised lumen number. So for the 140 wide or narrow, the burst mode is 140 lumens and the 1+ hour mode is the next level down, so 100 lumens for the 140, and 71 for the 100. I own a Hi CRI and find little difference between 71 and 100 lumens, but it is easy to immediately access the 100 lumens mode for more light.

Actually, ever so often a 200 lumen Ra is posted on the web site, and quickly bought. It is a premium Ra. I might add that the Hi CRI Ra is quite usefull at night, and seems to have more lux than 100 lumens, or even 71 lumens would indicate, that due to the warmish color.

Bill

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
In addition, there is at least one, and I suspect more, 120 lumen high CRI's, as I had one of them. At first I was pretty startled that it looked so close to the 120 Twisty I had until I realized Henry had actually rated it as a 120.

At any rate, as Bill says, my high CRI was very, very good, even up to highway speeds!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
For me car headlights have always been the best high level available so I naturally like to compare my lights high to them. I started doing this years ago when I first started guiding and spent lots of nights working on trails.

Especially when breaking trail at night it's pretty easy to end up with no light due to the amount of snow washing up over the cowling and headlight. I found that by holding my 4 x AA Buck Light (UK) in my teeth I could see over the top without any problems.

There's more than one long stretch out in the Chatanika area and when the moon is out, or the aurora is really strong I really like driving by the natural light, but very often can only go 30 or so.

With the high CRI I felt most comfortable up to about 50 but last week with the 170 I had no trouble at 60, and with it being summer it was a lot easier than my below zero testing with the high CRI.

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may be interested in hearing about my 5B xp-g emitter change when I get it done. I've got the emitters on their way right now and I'm hoping that this will become a much better do-everything package.

I would be interested! :wave: I have a 120 EDC with Travis as we speak, I'm getting a 7B XP-G in mine. I wanted it WARM! :grin2:

wirehair

Newly Enlightened
Need help with RA light

Hi all, I am thinking of getting the RA edc high CRI light. Can someone please tell me if I have this right, the light will have burst mode of 100 lumins for 10 seconds and then drop to 75 lumins. So the highest I can run this light on for a long length of time is 75 lumins and only have the full 100 for only 10 sec at a time. Thanks for your help. PS. Does this sort of thing apply to the Twisty as well.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I Own Several Of The Ra/HDS Clicky`s (And See Several More In My Future :twothumbs). Can I Make A Suggestion? Would It Be Possible To Integrate A Menu Option That Will Allow Us To Enable/Disable The 10 Second Timer On Burst Output?

I Really Do Believe That This Will Expand The Functionality Of These Fantastic Lights!

Thanks

knightrider

Enlightened
Re: Need help with RA light

Yes to both. They all do the burst 10 second mode - Clicky and Twisty (except the older ones). Not sure what the 100 CRI one drops to, but the 140 drops to 100. You can set the high to be the second highest level and burst does not happen. It really helps prolong the battery. You are using a slight amount of pwm on the second highest level versus no pwm on the highest level. It makes the battery last a lot longer using a little bit of pwm - at least that's how I understand it.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. :)

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
kaichu Dento,

There is no time line on upgrades on the Ti lights.

P_A_S_1,

Per the manual, there is burst. 100 lumens is the maximum for now.

Abarth_1200,

Per the manual, there is burst. Forget Google - RTFM... :)

You might also want to read the frequently asked questions page.

~Deicide~,

If you get into the way-back machine and read threads from the early EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic days, you would understand why that option was specifically not added. Burst is a very practical feature with a lot of utility. Remember, if you need it longer, just press-hold-release the button again - assuming you are already set to High. By removing the timed step-down, you reduce the utility of the flashlight. Being able to drain your batteries in half an hour may provide a certain amount of bragging rights but it serves no practical function. You might also want to read the frequently asked questions page.

Henry.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

This question was asked by another member in the Clicky thread, yesterday, I think. I responded there, also another member or so. Yes, burst 100 lumens for 10 seconds, and then it drops to 71 lumens. It would be good if you checked out the Ra Clicky thread ongoing here on CPF.

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast

Well Aug. 1st is almost here so we may find out about the new light as early as next week! I know he didn't say it would be released on Aug 1st but we can dream! I would like to at least find out if it's going to be a headlight or not (I hope not). I'm still holding out for an XPG based EDC....

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question: How does the high CRI light compare to the neutral white Quarks? I have a Quark MiNi AA NW and I absolutely love the color. Is the CRI warmer than that?

Also, is the initial programming the only difference between the EDC Executive and EDC Tactical?

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick question: How does the high CRI light compare to the neutral white Quarks? I have a Quark MiNi AA NW and I absolutely love the color. Is the CRI warmer than that?

Also, is the initial programming the only difference between the EDC Executive and EDC Tactical?
I am not sure which emitter you are referring to in regards to the NW MiNi AA as there are two different runs of two different NW emitters. I have the Q3 5B one from the previous run.

Unlike Q3 5B, the high CRI emitter from SSC produces a slightly bluish tint in the main hot spot which graduates out to warmer tints in the corona, very obvious when white wall hunting, but not obvious at all in use outdoors. The high CRI produces a slightly more accurate rendition of colors than the Q3 5B which IMHO is quite close to high CRI too. The beam profile of the high CRI is more floody and has a rather even graduation from hot spot to spill than the MiNi AA with Q3 5B.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the latest NW run which uses a neutral white XP-G in either 4C or 4D (I suspect mine is actually a 4D).

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Just got into lights and thanks to you guys discovered the Ra series. I bought a 170 lumen tactical and love it.

I wanted to ask if you guys have noticed the O-ring at the tail cap rolls out if you use the pocket clip. I tried the pocket clip but I didnt like it since it was huge but upon sliding the light onto my pants the friction causes that O-ring to come out.

Does this matter or is it just there to fill that space? What is the reason for having this O-ring there anyway?

Oh and can I ask if you guys think those $55 Ti pocket clips are worth it? I was looking into one since they are very clean and fancy looking along with taking up the holes in the light body.

Thanks

jslappa

Enlightened
Worth is a relative term. The clip is worth it to me, but some may cite the fact that it's over 35% of the cost of a new light. I think they look better than the long clip, but that's another personal observation. If the money is not a concern, grab one. In addition, there is a member here who sells screws to fill the screw holes, should you desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts