RARE MAGLITES

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scored an old widebody late 80's 3D from the 'bay. Companion piece to my 4D. TM Bezel and long grip section...

OcJP3B0l.jpg

iMKoQrVl.jpg

Edit: Heard from Maglite, it was manufactured February 1983!

Last edited:

nx2c

Newly Enlightened
Hi! I had no idea flashlight collecting was a thing until just a few days ago, so I thought I'd share something I've owned for a while. I got a gold C-cell Maglite from a family member several years ago but only recently decided to learn more about it. I came across this blog post that says it's a rare model from the late 80's, so it would seem to fit this thread (which has lots of cool flashlights!) Also thanks to that blog, I learned that the end cap has a spare bulb, which I never noticed before. Anyway, here it is:

i8AcAl0.png

Last edited by a moderator:

nx2c

Newly Enlightened
Yup! Thatz a really rare one.

Welcome aboard.

Thanks! I reached out to Maglite and asked them how old it was. They said:

"Thank you for being a Maglite customer and I will be happy to assist you today. Based on the serial number, your 2 C-cell flashlight was manufactured on 09/02/1987."

Which means my flashlight just had its 33rd birthday! Anyway, thanks to this forum, I'm now going to be on the lookout for other cool Maglites and other flashlights.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
Recent acquisition: 1984 Mini Maglite - Stamped Bezel - all original
Managed to pick it up for $9. Looks ever so slightly used. No corrosion. A few scuffs on the body. I wager this thing floated around in a drawer or glove box and never really got used. Lucky for me.
The next week i picked up another for around the same price but a bit more worn. Here are pics of the better shape one.
fsT4BDJ.jpg

7KVZJ1X.jpg

pDUAFob.jpg

TSGHMx0.jpg

aJ4sGvH.jpg

whxlF7i.jpg
7SH7TA5.jpg
bTm87l0.jpg

Yb4dIoW.jpg

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recent acquisition: 1984 Mini Maglite - Stamped Bezel - all original
Managed to pick it up for $9. Looks ever so slightly used. No corrosion. A few scuffs on the body. I wager this thing floated around in a drawer or glove box and never really got used. Lucky for me.
The next week i picked up another for around the same price but a bit more worn. Here are pics of the better shape one.

Very cool!! I love these 1984 stamped bezel lights. I always pick them up when I see them for sale because there just aren't very many around. You got very lucky! So many owners store them with the batteries in them or try to shove modern, larger AAs into them and ruin them. I've picked up a handful that way that I unfortunately had to pitch.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
Very cool!! I love these 1984 stamped bezel lights. I always pick them up when I see them for sale because there just aren't very many around. You got very lucky! So many owners store them with the batteries in them or try to shove modern, larger AAs into them and ruin them. I've picked up a handful that way that I unfortunately had to pitch.

When you pitch them do you ditch the whole light?
I'll gladly take them off your hands.

My lucky streak on the 1984s continue. I grabbed a silver stamped bezel with the sheath, pocket clip and a red lens. Its i near perfect shape. I'm trying to upload pics but imgur app isn't cooperating.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
For sure a great found! :thumbsup:

Very cool!! I saw that on ebay a little while back. It was a great deal, those C cells are tough to come by never mind in those finishes!! Have you come across anything else cool lately? I have a few new finds I've been meaning to post but I've been so busy at work.

When you pitch them do you ditch the whole light?
I'll gladly take them off your hands.

My lucky streak on the 1984s continue. I grabbed a silver stamped bezel with the sheath, pocket clip and a red lens. Its i near perfect shape. I'm trying to upload pics but imgur app isn't cooperating.

The silver ones are very rare! There's actually more finishes than I would have thought on those early lights. I suspect Mag was using them to test new finishes because they were small and easier to take a loss on if the finish didn't come out good. I've seen just about 10 finishes on them total. The full size Mags didn't start getting a lot of finishes until the mid 1990s.

I usually save whatever good parts there still are like the head and tail cap but pitch the body. I've tried dozens of times to restore these but they're just too small to work with. I use a wire brush attached to a drill on the larger lights to remove corrosion but I can't do that on these. The tail caps are almost always corroded too and then the spring doesn't sit right. I will def give you a shout if I run across any like that. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear about them. I do get a dozen or so requests a year to restore Mini Mags but I usually turn them down unless the original owner can get the tail cap off.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
The silver ones are very rare! There's actually more finishes than I would have thought on those early lights. I suspect Mag was using them to test new finishes because they were small and easier to take a loss on if the finish didn't come out good. I've seen just about 10 finishes on them total. The full size Mags didn't start getting a lot of finishes until the mid 1990s.

I usually save whatever good parts there still are like the head and tail cap but pitch the body. I've tried dozens of times to restore these but they're just too small to work with. I use a wire brush attached to a drill on the larger lights to remove corrosion but I can't do that on these. The tail caps are almost always corroded too and then the spring doesn't sit right. I will def give you a shout if I run across any like that. If you have any ideas I'd love to hear about them. I do get a dozen or so requests a year to restore Mini Mags but I usually turn them down unless the original owner can get the tail cap off.

Is ditching the body due to corrosion or unable to to get the cells out?

For cleaning corrosion on those, aside from a vinegar soak, a dremel has various attachments that can work well.

I've taken corrosion bubbles down with some careful scrubbing with round files.

I've got 3 mini mags on the way(one is a 3 aa) that are corroded shut. Hard part will be getting the caps off.
I've been planning to alternate soaking between vinegar and penetrating oils to try and get those caps off.

Have you ever used a hydraulic press to get cells out?
You'll likely have to sacrifice the bulb assembly but you should be able to press them out.

As for cleaning the inside, dremel tools are one option. Or, rolled up sand paper and time could clean the bores on them i would think.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stuck end caps and stuck batteries have been my biggest challenges on the Mini Mags. Everything I do for the bigger Mags just doesn't seem to work on these because they're just too small. :mecry:

I like the idea of the rolled up sandpaper though. I think I've done that over a drill bit in the past on other projects to expedite the removal of the corrosion so I may try that again here. Thanks!!

I recently picked up a Gold Anodized 1984 Mini Mag. I'm sure everyone has seen the gold plated over brass models before but this is the first anodized one I've seen. It has the white fill in the stamping and it's very light so it's definitely aluminum and not brass. The gold plated over brass is at the bottom and the gold anodized is right above it. A couple other cool 1984 Mini Mags are thrown in too. I think I have all of the finishes now although they aren't shown in this photo. The only exception is Pink. I missed out on a Pink 1984 about a year or so ago. They must be super rare and another member here picked it up.

6PomVRw.jpg

ahJqXCP.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
If you mean the light pink then I can't help. If you mean hot pink I have 1-2 extra of those.

For pink... I would search overseas: germany and switzerland.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you mean the light pink then I can't help. If you mean hot pink I have 1-2 extra of those.

For pink... I would search overseas: germany and switzerland.

Are they the stamped bezel, 1984 ones? That's really the one I'm after. I have a laser etched one I think.

Also, I found this awesome light fixture for sale recently. I wanted it really bad for our dining room but my wife said "NO!". :mecry:

qjatyM3.jpg

mJMmKGW.jpg

bykfixer

Flashaholic

Future collectables:
This years National Law Enforcement Memorial lights
I bought the 2aaa minimag and the solitaire version.

5-A0-B89-F5-3-A3-E-4903-8-AC2-24-D29-D2-FDFBE.jpg

The aaa minimag

A9-F83-F0-B-D5-E2-4-F1-F-92-E0-C6-AA24-FE7-EEA.jpg

The Solitaire

2D ML300 version available now and a aa minimag pro, plus XL50 version.

B1-A7-A227-5-FDA-4-E94-9-E51-7768-E9-D06-B82.jpg

I ordered the 2D version for a useable display to ward off evil spirits and andy tifa.

Last edited:

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast
8Kkco0g.jpg

Another of my custom Maglites. Seoul P7 emitter, Flupic driver and tailcap switch. :whistle: