Real World Review – Sunwayman D40A

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing that I find to be a turnoff about the D40A vs the EA4 is the fact that it uses a battery carrier.
Typically I'd be right there with you, I'm not especially fond of battery carriers either.

However I do have to say that in use this one is not bad at all. Solidly built and the sides are open enough that the batteries are actually easy to tap out when the carrier is out. I also like the fact that while battery alignment matters, it doesn't matter which way you put the carrier back into the light.

An issue I've had recently is super-tight battery compartments where some AA rechargeable -barely- fit, especially after I've put my tracking label on the side of the batteries. Obviously this is not a problem with the D40A.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the detailed info on lanyard use - very helpful.
IMHO, Sunwayman dropped the ball re: lanyard attachment.

It's an odd place to have the attachment but in use I found the light seemed to cross over some size/weight threshold where it felt too large to have just swinging around at the end of the lanyard all the time.

I definitely have some lights that I carry hanging loose at the end of the lanyard, not this one. For this light all the lanyard really does for me is act as a "drop preventative" and when I use this light it's either in hand, in pocket, or in the neat carry pouch.

That's me, YMMV.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review...

D40A_002_zps23fbb0aa.jpg

Obviously not the stock lanyard, and quite a bit longer strap. I actually really like the stock lanyard set-up and wouldn't change a thing. The attachment point is probably located in the only spot that wouldn't increase the dimensions of light, and if setting the light down by the lanyard, the head-up orientation best protects the lens/bezel. The large metal alligator clip helps locate the buttons quickly by feel.

For an underhand grip, I run the stock strap along the back of my hand and between my index and middle finger with lots of slack for even large hands/wrists, and with the clip resting between your fingers, it keeps the light/buttons positioned in the right place even with a loose grip. No problem swapping between holding and dangling without looking. Overhand grip for me is like a pencil grip, but with index and middle fingers above the light (one operating buttons).

I found the light to be a little liberal on its lumen claims, similar to some other manufacturers, not as bad as my Zebras. My low measured furthest off (% wise) at 15 lms, but it also nearly doubled its spec'd runtime on that level so I'm more than happy (low lumen/runtime enthusiast). The light is pushing over 200 lumen-hrs per AA (most efficient I've measured) while the rest of my 1xAA collection are under that. Biggest complaint are the too easily activated switches.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Under the heading "initial impressions" I mention that I hate "lobster claw" lanyards and had replaced mine.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
LONG TERM UPDATE [4 YEARS]

The good news, I still have the D40A, and it is still a fantastic light! It doesn't get used nearly as much as I expected but has been extremely handy for searching for the dog after dark (when she was still a puppy and would occasionally go "walkabout" on us) and also got some use searching for a lost child in the woods.

On the whole the light is still pristine and has had no issue with its diet of NiMH batteries though I believe that the LED color has shifted just a hint on it. I don't have any photos to do a comparison but I stand by my impression.

For the most part I would -still- recommend this light overall and it can still be purchased on Amazon 4 years later!

Now for the bad.

I pulled it out today to do some comparison photos to my brand new Klarus G35 and what should I discover but the plastic cover for the switches has turned brittle and it cracked the first time I pressed it.
(see photos below)
Not bad enough to sideline the light, but I don't think I'd take it out in the rain now and that is disappointing.

I've contacted Sunwayman to see if it would be possible to get another switch cover. I'm not especially hopeful but thought it would be worth trying.

I'll report back with how it all turns out.

---------------------------

7Ci8mYq.jpg

3pq9d2f.jpg

as you can see, except for the switch this light is still pristine 4 years later
4IZIpXh.jpg

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: LONG TERM UPDATE [4 YEARS]

Apparently it took a while for my request for a new switch cover to wind it's way through to the right folks at Sunwayman, however last night I received a reply email stating that they are sending me a replacement cover free of charge. Impressive service on a 4 year old light!

Thank you Sunwayman!

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

So I guess it took a little more effort to actually -send- the switch cover because I just received a tracking number -yesterday-
Not sure why it's taking so long but I'm getting it for free so I'm not complaining.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's been a long time since I've used my D40A (neutral white), but I wonder why there's a switch cover problem on some? I just looked at mine, and it still looks pristine. Maybe it's just an issue that comes with use? Though, that wouldn't explain why it gets brittle.

Taz80

Enlightened

The switch cover on both mine and my sons is cracked. Mine has been lightly used and only has a small crack, his has seen much heavier use and the switch has made a hole. I think the cover is just a piece of plastic and if you flex it to many times its going to break. Age might also be a factor. I couldn't tell mine was cracked until I scraped my finger nail over it and then looked at it with a magnifying glass.

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

The switch cover on both mine and my sons is cracked. Mine has been lightly used and only has a small crack, his has seen much heavier use and the switch has made a hole. I think the cover is just a piece of plastic and if you flex it to many times its going to break. Age might also be a factor. I couldn't tell mine was cracked until I scraped my finger nail over it and then looked at it with a magnifying glass.

Mine seemed fine until it went "crackle" and there it was. It is plastic (how I wish it was rubber) so I'm not surprised too much since the buttons on our washer and dryer did the same thing :p

zespectre

Flashlight Enthusiast

Our postal person came to the door this afternoon saying I had to sign for something that came through customs.
I had no idea what it was until I saw the package....

N0zors7.jpg

Apparently it had been held in customs for a little while so that was the delay, not Sunwayman.

So I had asked for just a replacement plastic cover but instead this is what they sent me, Three of everything.
PenfHKv.jpg

And with about 15 minutes of work, my much loved D40A is back up to "spec".
GBOLKkV.jpg

THANK YOU to Sunwayman for supporting a light that was out of warranty with a little "nothing" part that realistically probably wasn't worth their time. For a few reasons this light has some real sentimental value to me so I'm very glad I was able to fix it.