Recomend a small assisted open knife.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
Guntotin fool, the assist for me is nothing more than to have something different. I do not have an open assist knife and this would be an entry for me.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Spyderco wave knives. I've held and examined some of the Kershaws, I've liked some haven't liked others so go play with some at a store before you buy em online.
Oh, does the Benchmade Infidel count as an assisted opener? I like mine. :)

jbosman1013

Enlightened
I got my mom a small SOG and she really likes it, the blade is AUS8 and holds up well. SOG makes a nice knife IMO but do not pry with this steel it tends to snap.

I also have a kershaw spec bump in S30V very good knife but it does take some skill to sharpen
buttrock.gif

Last edited:

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
They are getting harder to find since Camillus went out of business, but I like the Heat model, followed by Kershaw's leek.

CLHC

Flashaholic
. . .the assist for me is nothing more than to have something different.
If you can find them, there's the Pro-Tech Runt series. These are what's called "California Legal Auto" because of the blade's length being under two (2) inches. I have one, the original one. These are pretty slick and fast opening with a hard SNAP! ! !

Enjoy!

lightinsky

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one thought to mention the crkt carson design M16-10K-Zytel. This knife is a military designed knife that has the patented AutoLAWKS automatic safety feature that creates a virtually fixed blase when you open and lock your knife. Plus it has the Carson Flipper to open the knife in one quick and easy motion and you can't close the knife accidently because of the AutoLAWKS lever system quite smart technology. The blade is Tanto style in black dress that is high carbon AUS 4 stainless steel with a non-reflective black teflon plating. It is rugged stainless steel/zytel interframe build and teflon plated stainless steel blade with a teflon plated stainless steel clip. Best $19 bucks spent at Walmart for a small assist knife. The blade length is 3 inches and .08 thick and the handle length is 4 inches. Total length open is 7.125 inches and weighs only 2.3 oz. Go to www.crkt.com to check out this knife and others they have. CRKT stands for Columbia River Knife and Tool Company. I love this knife and was looking at sogs, gerbers, bucks and many others but for the money this knife can't be beat.

Eskimonio

Newly Enlightened
+1 on Kershaw Leek 1660ST

I've had a SOG FLASH for a number of years and thought the world of the thing. I have a couple of Bench Autos, but they are my safe queens, and I don't edc them.

The zytel handle seemed a bit thick when wearing inside the waistband, but I dealt with it. Recently I learned about the LEEK, and chose the all metal version after hearing reviews of the G10 being a bit too grippy on clothing. (The benefit there being it would have BETTER grip when wet.)

I picked up the LEEK for $39 at Knifeworks.com, and it was at my door uber fast. I love the knife...slimmer profile, and in addition to a thumbstud, it has a lever that allows opening with the index finger as well.

GREAT BLADE.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Kershaw Mini-Cylcone in ZDP-189 & titanium handles?

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I only have one assisted open, a Chive. I have BIG hands and the Chive would hurt me in a heart beat!

I can open most liner locks plenty fast and one handed.

My favorite knife is the CRKT M16-03Z (plain edge/zytel scales) with the flipper.

But lately a Kershaw 1650 Vapor II has been clipped in the back of my right front pocket and done pretty much anything I needed it for.

The regular Vapor is a more normal size.

I just don't think I'd ever take too good to a big assisted.

Sharpdogs

Enlightened
I'm surprised no one thought to mention the crkt carson design M16-10K-Zytel. This knife is a military designed knife that has the patented AutoLAWKS automatic safety feature that creates a virtually fixed blase when you open and lock your knife. Plus it has the Carson Flipper to open the knife in one quick and easy motion and you can't close the knife accidently because of the AutoLAWKS lever system quite smart technology. The blade is Tanto style in black dress that is high carbon AUS 4 stainless steel with a non-reflective black teflon plating. It is rugged stainless steel/zytel interframe build and teflon plated stainless steel blade with a teflon plated stainless steel clip. Best $19 bucks spent at Walmart for a small assist knife. The blade length is 3 inches and .08 thick and the handle length is 4 inches. Total length open is 7.125 inches and weighs only 2.3 oz. Go to www.crkt.com to check out this knife and others they have. CRKT stands for Columbia River Knife and Tool Company. I love this knife and was looking at sogs, gerbers, bucks and many others but for the money this knife can't be beat.

You are right, this knife at the very least deserves an honorable mention. I carry mine often. I do find that the spear point version snaps open much better. The AutoLAWKS system takes some getting used to, but it is easy to use once you get used to it.

adimag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the suggestions!! I was able to get my hands on a SOG Flash I and was really impressed with the knife. It is probably what most people would call small, but with it's 2.5 inch blade it is the right size for my small hands. I like the action, lock mechanism, and low pocket carry clip. So, again, THANKS!!

illusion

Newly Enlightened
I have fell in love with the CRKT M16, have it on me everyday.. Its good and fast allround knife...:thumbsup:

G1ZM0

Newly Enlightened
They are getting harder to find since Camillus went out of business, but I like the Heat model, followed by Kershaw's leek.

I think Ontario picked up the Heat/Blaze/Sizzle's. I know I've seen them somewhere recently. Try www.knifecenter.com. They have the most kick of any of the assisted openers I've tried.

Barbarian

Enlightened
I have several of the Kershaw assisted openers. The chive and scallion are nice and small. I always have one close. But I usually carry a spyderco cricket. Nice and small, easy opening and sharp to an extreme.

I have a Syderco Cricket on the way....let you know how I like it when it arrives.

1MillionCandlePOWER

Newly Enlightened
The regular Kershaw Leek is highly recommended. Feels good in the hand, looks nice IMO, and not spendy. Very sharp. I had a G10 Leek but found it way too grippy - it didn't want to come out of my pocket. Now I'm with the steel Leek and Titanium Leek. JMO.

oct.jpg

cheers

this pic sold me on this knife, and i bought it the same day. wow what a good knife i must say. it's basically an automatic that goes around the law books. very slim, very high quality. great recommendation man.