Recommend a 2xAA light

uofaengr

Enlightened
Since I have a decent stock of AA Eneloops and cooling on CR123s currently, I'm currently looking at 2xAA options to give me something with a little more output and runtime than my current 1xAA lights, a SC52w and L11C.

I like neutral tint and prefer forward clicky. Would like something as bright as possible with the best runtime.

The lights towards the top of my list currently are:
Thrunite Archer 2A V2
Thrunite Neutron 2A V2
Eagletac D25A2 with Nichia 219
Eagletac D25A2 with XP-G2 R4 or XM-L2 T6 (don't know which is better)

The Archer seems to be liked by most and had a very favorable review by Selfbuilt. Estimated 470 lumens for almost 1.5 hours is impressive plus I like the design, clicky, and UI. I see it's rated for 4.2V and was wondering if anyone has tried a 14500 plus a spacer? I'd be curious to see output and runtime for that.

The Neutron seems to have enough issues that I'll wait for a redesign, plus I'd want a clicky in a light that long.

The D25A2 seems to have impressive specs, but haven't seen much testing or reviews with these emitters to see how they really work. I can only find 1 video that shows the difference in tint between the T6 and Nichia.

Or would you be satisfied with a SC52w on 14500s at 500 lumens but only have a 1 minute turbo?

Always open to suggestions of course.

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
If Eneloops are what you want to run, also check out the Zebralight SC5/5w. Over 500 lumens on turbo for 3 minutes and all the long runtime lower modes.

Also, there is a new Malkoff MDC available in the 2AA form factor.

uofaengr

Enlightened
If Eneloops are what you want to run, also check out the Zebralight SC5/5w. Over 500 lumens on turbo for 3 minutes and all the long runtime lower modes.

Also, there is a new Malkoff MDC available in the 2AA form factor.
Hate to say but I've already passed on the SC5. And unfortunately I'm kinda uneducated on the Malkoff stuff... [emoji20]

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since I have a decent stock of AA Eneloops and cooling on CR123s currently, I'm currently looking at 2xAA options to give me something with a little more output and runtime than my current 1xAA lights, a SC52w and L11C.

I like neutral tint and prefer forward clicky. Would like something as bright as possible with the best runtime.

The lights towards the top of my list currently are:
Thrunite Archer 2A V2
Thrunite Neutron 2A V2
Eagletac D25A2 with Nichia 219
Eagletac D25A2 with XP-G2 R4 or XM-L2 T6 (don't know which is better)

The Archer seems to be liked by most and had a very favorable review by Selfbuilt. Estimated 470 lumens for almost 1.5 hours is impressive plus I like the design, clicky, and UI. I see it's rated for 4.2V and was wondering if anyone has tried a 14500 plus a spacer? I'd be curious to see output and runtime for that.

The Neutron seems to have enough issues that I'll wait for a redesign, plus I'd want a clicky in a light that long.

The D25A2 seems to have impressive specs, but haven't seen much testing or reviews with these emitters to see how they really work. I can only find 1 video that shows the difference in tint between the T6 and Nichia.

Or would you be satisfied with a SC52w on 14500s at 500 lumens but only have a 1 minute turbo?

Always open to suggestions of course.

Well the Thrunite Neutron 2A V2 had the potential to be the top AA dog with it's insane performance. But probably should be removed from you list for now like you said.

The
Eagletac D25A2 with Nichia 219, while known to have great tint...doubt if your goal is to go for the brightest it would be that one.

The
Thrunite Archer 2A V2 has a high of:450lumen (100 minutes); .

That leaves the
Eagletac D25A2 with XP-G2 R4 or XM-L2 T6 from your selection. The XM-L2... ANSI FL-1 lumen: 318

So going by the numbers looks like the Thrunite Archer 2A V2 is the top dog.

Have you considered a 4 AA can style light? The Thrunite TN4A tested out at 1170 lumen according to Selfbuilts test...Pretty bright for a stock AA light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?395272-Thrunite-TN4A-(XP-L-V6-4xAA)-review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!

Last edited:

uofaengr

Enlightened
Well the Thrunite Neutron 2A V2 had the potential to be the top AA dog with it's insane performance. But probably should be removed from you list for now like you said. The Eagletac D25A2 with Nichia 219, while known to have great tint...doubt if your goal is to go for the brightest it would be that one. The Thrunite Archer 2A V2 has a high of:450lumen (100 minutes); .

That leaves the
Eagletac D25A2 with XP-G2 R4 or XM-L2 T6 from your selection. The XM-L2... ANSI FL-1 lumen: 318

So going by the numbers looks like the Thrunite Archer 2A V2 is the top dog.

Have you considered a 4 AA can style light? The Thrunite TN4A tested out at 1170 lumen according to Selfbuilts test...Pretty bright for a stock AA light.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?395272-Thrunite-TN4A-(XP-L-V6-4xAA)-review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-and-more!
Yeah I've not really considered a can light. Hmm... Not sure of the size though since I'd prefer easily pocketable.

I read somewhere around here that the Eagletac cool whites were actually a really nice white and not blue while the neutrals were quite warm. Not sure of the accuracy of that statement. Definitely more pricey than the Archer though.

Have to say at this point, the Archer is probably leading. Can't believe the NW version is only $30 and 10 bucks less than the CW.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Try to check the Olight S15R. You may get the extension tube to run it on 2xAA. As per the reviews made, this light is more efficient when running on two batteries. Check the review section thread. Hth

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, have viewed some of those and all have seemed to be very favorable.

Yea, it seems to be very well liked. I recently got the TN4A. Mostly out of curiosity, as I'm more into 18650 lights. But I found I really like it. Not for EDC of course. But as a fun around the house light. So much so that I keep toying with the idea of buying another NW one. They offer a lot I feel for the money. And feels good in the hand too. Not as big as I had imagined.

But for $30 the Thrunite 2xAA is probably a good pick...Surprised at the NW price too. I thought they were both $40 (CW and NW)...

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
..The D25A2 seems to have impressive specs, but haven't seen much testing or reviews with these emitters to see how they really work. I can only find 1 video that shows the difference in tint between the T6 and Nichia..

ET tint examples, Left to right - N219, 3x NW XML, 2x CW XML

clicky

The Thrunite Archer 2A V2 has a high of:450lumen (100 minutes); .

That leaves the Eagletac D25A2 with XP-G2 R4 or XM-L2 T6 from your selection. The XM-L2...ANSI FL-1 lumen: 318

So going by the numbers looks like the Thrunite Archer 2A V2 is the top dog..

You can't compare specs between ET and TN without adjusting. By my lightbox, ET is closer to true ANSI along with 47s, HDS and Malkoff while TN is closer to ZL, Armytek and Selfbuilt. For Example, Selfbuilt last tested the D25C XML (same circuit as as the D25A2 XML) 277 lm spec to be 450 lms. The TN NW XPG and ET NW XML should have more or less the same output, although significantly different beam profiles and probably efficiencies.

redtruck

Newly Enlightened
I have a XM-L2 D25A2. I like it quite a bit, it was the first light I got that has a moonlight mode, and use it often. It is plenty bright, and has a very usable floody beam. I know they have since come out with a few updated 2xAA offerings including a tactical one with a forward clicky switch/momentary on. I have only had it for maybe a year but it has held up well and probably gets the most use of all my lights. Can't beat Eneloops.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I would wait a month or so and see what ET is going to bring to the table. At the moment there is the new xp-l high intensity led and a new Nichia 219C that is close to the efficiency of an xp-g....but if you can't wait, the Archer is not a bad buy

uofaengr

Enlightened
I can wait, I'm really in no hurry. I just have no idea what months these companies come out with new products.

uofaengr

Enlightened
I like the idea of having a 2xAA light with high runtimes and max brightness since I have a good many eneloops laying around plus availability of AA primaries. The Archer 2A almost seems like too good of a deal to pass up at $30, and would also like to see what Eagletac comes out with in the near future.

However, 18650 lights have really started to pique my interest as well, particularly the TN12. Super high runtimes and crazy brightness for $46. Hardly any poor reviews either. The Archer wouldn't be an EDC for me due to its size and neither would the TN12. They're backup and "fun" lights to me. I almost think if I was only gonna get one, it should be the TN12. However, I think both are cheap enough to make owning both affordable. Would like to hear others' thoughts especially if you own both.

uofaengr

Enlightened
Man I've came a long way since this thread lol...

Recently coming back full circle to 2xAA again. Never picked one up because I got distracted by like 4 other lights I needed first. I still want one due to the fact I feel like I need at least one more capable AA light (only have SC52w and L11C at the moment). Well due to a rewards program at work, I will soon have $100 of Amazon gift card goodness at my disposal. I've pretty much already allocated $70 of that to something else so that leaves just enough room for, you guessed it, the Thrunite Archer 2A V2 in NW. For what's basically a free light, I don't feel I can go wrong here. I have the TN12, and yes it's an ugly light with a less than stellar UI, but for the price it's been a great light.

I originally highly considered the Eagletac D25A2 especially having a Nichia option, but excluding higher price and almost no Amazon availability, it kinda came down to mode spacing for me as the kicker. The D25A2 has firefly and about a 20-30 lumen low before jumping all the way close to 250-300 lumens and a turbo of 400+. The Archer has IMO more usable battery saving modes (firefly, 20, 85 per Selfbuilt's review) for emergencies and then a 470 lumen high if you need it. To me there's really no point in having a 300 lumen mode and a 420 lumen mode. Looks impressive on spec sheets, but in reality, almost imperceptible. Over the past 4 or 5 months I've really refined what I like in mode spacing.

I have not experienced an XP-G2 NW yet, but the specs yield about 55% more candela than its cool white XP-L counterpart and a rated 30 more meters of throw. Perhaps that'll come in handy in outdoors high mode applications. Either way, just wanted to update this thread for anyone making a similar decision.

uofaengr

Enlightened
This might be useless for most, but I did want to update and say I got the Archer 2A V2 and if you're even remotely interested in it or have $30 to burn, I recommend it.

My lumen estimates are about spot on with Selfbuilt's. I can't get a good estimate on the moonlight, but the rest with freshly charged Eneloops:
L - 22
M - 82
H - 500 on activation (472 @ 30 sec)

It's my first neutral tint XP-G2, and I'm just going to say I'm a fan. Totally different tint profile than my NW XM-L2 lights. Whereas the XM-L2 is known for being greenish, the XP-G2 is sort of tan throughout. The tint is near identical to my Prometheus Beta with Nichia 219a. Colors seemed to look better too compared to the XM-L2 of the TN12.

Pros:
Surprisingly attractive. The shiny crenulated bezel and the blue GITD ring are very nice looking. Much more attractive than the TN12. Better clip too.
Plenty bright and reasonably throwy (~170m)
Nice and crisp forward tail clicky
Nice tan neutral tint

Cons:
The side switch is a little mushier than I'd like but not horrible.
Doesn't come with a holster.
Would have preferred medium to be somewhere around 100-120 lumens

Essentially a free light, but I think it's every bit worth the $30 price. We will see how reliability is though.